Chapter 121 – Departure
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Returning to Vicky's compound after the long day's upheaval, Hao, Mentos and Ciara were met with an unexpected sight. Vicky's gang members scurried about loading up two large trucks with all manners of items and equipment.

Boulder lugged bulging sacks overflowing with valuable possessions across his broad shoulders. Although his muscles were straining under the tremendous weight, the hulking brute hauled his burden along without complaint. Nearby, Raven operated a mechanical crane apparatus, expertly manoeuvring its hydraulic arm to lift heavy iron toolboxes and machinery into the back of one truck. The device whirred and creaked as she deftly controlled its movements using various levers and pedals on the control platform.

Hao observed with fascination as the gang systematically emptied out the warehouse around them. "Oy, are you lot packing up shop then?" Hao called out, voicing their shared surprise at this sudden operation.

Vicky glanced up from overseeing the orderly disassembly of her compound. "Perceptive as always," she replied wryly. "Yes, we're relocating. This district won't be safe for much longer once the OSD's new system is online."

The children in their group stared around in dismay as their meagre belongings were hastily packed into battered cases and tatty bundles. One tiny girl with tear-filled eyes tugged anxiously at Lanor's arm. "Big sis, where are we going? Can we come too?" she pleaded.

Lanor crouched down, looking at the kids with a sympathetic expression. "I'm afraid not, sweetie..." she began gently explaining the situation. “Where we're heading, children aren't allowed. But don't you worry, we've found a safe place for you all to stay until we get back."

Despite the reassurances, tearful goodbyes followed as the kids were loaded into the smaller truck. They said their goodbyes to Euphy and Symphy, then started waving sadly as the vehicle rumbled out of the compound, leaving an empty feeling behind.

Attention shifted to securing the larger truck. Mentos led his hulking beast companion Acadian over. "What about my buddy here? Reckon he can squeeze inside with the rest of us?"

Vicky eyed the creature doubtfully. "Too big. Have it pull the truck, along with the fishes. Their strength will be useful."

With no other options, Mentos reluctantly tethered Acadian and the Sword Fishes to the front rigging. Hao could tell his friend wasn't thrilled about bringing the beasts along on this mysterious excursion.

After the final supplies were loaded up, Hao approached Vicky. "So where exactly are we headed? You've been rather vague about this sudden relocation."

Vicky flashed him a sly grin. "I suppose it's time I let you in on my ambitions, boy. For years I've dreamed of breaching a Tokyo Palace and claiming the immense riches inside. The S-Catalogue you and Lanor stole from Rector contains passes into a simulated Palace where my crew has been training. But now, we're ready for the real thing."

Hao was stunned by this revelation. Brazenly raiding one of the ultra-perilous Palaces went against all common sense and self-preservation. One glance at Mentos and Ciara's horrified faces told him they agreed.

"You can't be serious!" Mentos protested. "Those Palaces are certain death traps filled with monstrous Tokyos. We'll be shredded to pieces!"

"Fear not, I've assembled a capable team," Vicky said breezily. "Of course, we'll rely heavily on our trump card here." She gestured at Hao. "With those fancy new powers of his and the X-Class sword, this brat might actually get us through in one piece."

Hao shifted, uneasy with being the lynchpin of Vicky's insane ambitions. Yet the challenge intrigued him. Finally, a chance to test his mettle against the Palaces' notorious dangers.

Nearby, Lanor pulled Ciara aside. "You're clearly terrified by all this. Feel free to stay behind while we real warriors handle it." Her tone dripped with mock sympathy.

Ciara's eyes flashed. "I'm not scared! I'm going to help Hao whether you like it or not." She refused to abandon him.

“All aboard!” Announced the driver, clambering the side of the truck and sounding the engine.

Lanor smirked to herself as they all clambered into the packed truck. Mentos continued grumbling under his breath about their lunacy. But nothing could deter Vicky from this long-awaited quest.

With a lurch, they rumbled out of the compound onto the debris-strewn roads. As the ruined district faded behind them, Vicky explained the plan.

"There are numerous low-tier Tokyo Palaces just waiting to be conquered in Mirror Lake. Our sources indicate its low fees for accessibility, perfect for beginners like us. We'll stay at Cutterbaath overnight then infiltrate at dawn."

"Beginners my arse! You've clearly done this before," Mentos accused her. "How else could you be so gung-ho?"

"Only simulations, never the real deal," Vicky admitted. "But we're as ready as we'll ever be thanks to that top-notch virtual training. I spared no expense acquiring access to it for my crew."

Mentos just grumbled in response, unconvinced. Hao listened intently, fascinated despite the insanity of it all. Delving into a Palace to confront its unknown dangers had his pulse racing.

"Think you can handle it, brave boy?" Lanor teased, nudging his arm. "Or will you need me there to protect you if things get too intense?"

"I can handle myself just fine, thanks," Hao said curtly. Though in truth, he was grateful to have allies by his side on this perilous endeavour. Even overconfident Lanor's skills would prove useful.

"Check this out." Lanor slid closer on the packed bench and opened a large book-like device in her lap. "It's an S-Catalogue on the Tokyo Palace simulations. Has all the details on the floors and enemies we can expect to face."

Hao leaned in with interest as Lanor flipped through page after page of vivid images and descriptions of the Palace environments and ruthless Tokyos within. It was an invaluable resource for their mission.

They passed the rest of the bumpy ride reviewing the S-Catalogue and testing each other's knowledge about Tokyo hunting. Ciara clung nervously to Hao's arm the whole time, intimidated by Lanor's assertive presence.

 

 

0