Chapter 1 – Death and Rebirth
310 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 – Death and Rebirth 

 

This is a is a tale, one told many times before. It all began one fateful day. 

 

I had always been a dreamer, the moon was shining today. A full moon, and yet the bright street lights left the stars all but invisible. But today the moon called, I could not help staring. Perhaps it was chance or it was fate taking pity. 

 

loud sound broke my reverie, my last action, one last glimpse to the sky. 

 

*** 

 

It was a classic end, killed by truck-kun while crossing the street. To think that life ended so quickly, it was almost as if it was all a dream. Now, getting hold of my surroundings, I realized that I was lying down on a soft and comfortable bed. Looking around it appeared to be a well lit and completely barren white room. 

 

***ping*** 

 

Ah, the classic goddess appeared. This is going to be classic Isesaki story isn't it... 

 

The goddess began with introducing herself. 

 

“Hello Alice! Welcome to the afterlife! My name is Erebus, goddess of the void!” 

 

Continuing with her loud and bubbly explanation Erebus continued, “Due to your fascination with the moon, your spirit ascended upon death. So even though you died, you do not reincarnate automatically. In fact, you are now on your way to become a new deity! Yay, my own little sister!” 

 

At last she took a breath. I finally got a good look at this self proclaimed goddess. Dressed in pearly white robes that complemented her chocolate skin and flowing curly black hair. My heart beat in excitement! Despite her cheerful voice, I was worried that this would be the stereotypical goddess, blonde hair and all that. Instead, I found someone that looked like me! Perhaps not a sister, but maybe the world of gods is not so bad, far away from the machinations of humankind... 

 

Ahhh, focus! She just said I'm a god! All the things I could create! The worlds to build! No more days spent playing crackto—I mean factorio and civ. I could finally build the worlds of my imagination! Wait... I should first check what the actual catch is, and isn't it odd that only one goddess is meeting me? 

“Nice to meet you Goddess Erebus, I look forwards to your guidance! Would you mind explaining what you mean by god?” 

Erubus 

“Ah, my sister is already asking questions!” 

Taking a step back she seems to get serious at last. Her smile turns to one of unnatural and terrifying sweetness and her eyes take on the quality of the abyss. 

“It goes like this, as a dreamer who dreamt of that which does not exist, I have deemed you worthy of looking into the primordial abyss. Yet the ascension to godhood requires some experience. Coincidentally, some new upstart gods have been causing trouble for my pantheon... By the way, you will be transferred to a new goddess to their developing world where you can develop your abilities as well as keep an eye on them...” 

Seeing my face beginning to frown she then finishes here explanation with her previous enthusiasm, 

“Don’t worry, I’ll be taking care of you and you won't have to yet worry about politics! Oh yeah... I forgot to mention that gods have developed past the old days’ of having to everything manually. We now have a computer like construct embedded into souls to help make managing creations simpler, it even comes with a tutorial!” 

 

That sent my head spinning. So the gods do have politics. I started wondering about Erubus’ change in mood when talking about the other gods, was that her true face or a result of their antagonisms? Either way, it seems like she wants me to go to this new world. It seems pretty neat too... a whole different world to see. So I responded, 

 

“Send me, let me experience this new world” 

 

And like that, I lost consciousness and woke up in a grassy plain. 

8