Chapter 114: Verdant Pathway, Take Flight and Pierce the Heavens
75 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Activate the Aetherframe? How?

As Ebonheim pondered, the Akashic System prompted her once again.

[The Aetherframe requires the Control Matrix and Quintessence to be activated. The Control Matrix is present at the coordinate: (789.32, -312.45, 19.17)]

[Collect the required materials: Control Matrix: 0/1]

[Expend the required Quintessence: 0/512]

Ebonheim stared at the screen for a long moment, her eyes flickering between the Akashic System's message and the Aetherframe itself.

The Control Matrix? Was it talking about the cubic object they found earlier? It had to be!

She activated her Divine Sight. The familiar shimmering threads of arcane energy suffused her vision, coiling and whirling through the air. The ethereal trail led from the Aetherframe and out of the ruined plaza, winding and twisting through the nearby alleys and streets.

"Okay, that makes this a bit easier."

Ebonheim staggered through the streets of the crumbled landscape, following the spectral ribbon of energy to its source. The path led her back to the building they had explored the other day—the one with the small chamber where they had discovered the cube.

She paused as she reached the door. It hung ajar, its rusted hinges creaking slightly as it swayed in the breeze. A faint azure glow emanated from within.

The Akashic System flickered in her vision, confirming her location:

[Control Matrix detected. Retrieval is recommended.]

"Yeah, yeah. I'm getting to that." She waved away the System's notification.

Drawing a steadying breath, Ebonheim gripped the edge of the door and slowly pushed it open.

Inside, the strange artifact remained exactly as they had left it—suspended within the metal framework. Its glowing cube pulsed softly, the azure light shining through the metal bars.

Ebonheim stepped closer and reached for the cube. The moment she touched the object, a flood of information flowed through her mind. She knew what it was, what it could do, how it functioned.

The Akashic System displayed the new information for her:

[Name] Control Matrix
[Item Description] An ancient relic from the forgotten civilization of yore. It is a complex device that contains an intricate system of interconnected components. When used correctly, the Control Matrix can be used to control the functions of a number of related devices, including Aetherframes.
[Status] Inactive. Power source required for activation.
[Additional Notes] The Control Matrix will respond to the wielder's touch and imprint, allowing the user to utilize the device's functions. The device can also be modified using the appropriate materials and tools.

The Akashic System finished its explanation. The Control Matrix floated on her palm, hovering in place with a gentle hum.

With a flick of her wrist, the cube disappeared, dissolving into a flash of light before sinking into her body. "Whoa..."

Déjà vu washed over her. Something like this happened with the Elemental Keystone. She hadn't given it much thought until now, but it appeared to be a common occurrence with these artifacts. She made a mental note to explore that discovery in greater depth later.

Ebonheim headed back to the Aetherframe, her pace quickening with renewed urgency. Every second counted, and Liselotte would not be far behind.

As she approached the ancient construct, the Akashic System issued another prompt:

[Control Matrix retrieved: 1/1]
[Quintessence expended: 0/512]

She hesitated.

Was this really a good idea? Even if she somehow managed to activate the Aetherframe, could it defeat Liselotte? It already didn't look in good shape, and it might not even work properly. It certainly didn't have any apparent means of flight. That much was obvious. And its armor looked brittle and cracked. So, what good would this contraption even be?

But then again, the alternative wasn't looking so great either. The way things were going, she might not even last much longer. Liselotte was simply too powerful and fast.

The Aetherframe might be her only chance. There was no time for doubt.

Climbing into the control alcove, Ebonheim squirmed through the tight, uncomfortable space within. "Urgh...so cramped..."

The cold metal surface chilled her skin as she squeezed her way between the inner walls and machinery. She wriggled around, trying to get into a comfortable position. Finally, after much struggling, she managed to settle into the operator's seat, which fit snugly against her back.

The seat's soft padding wrapped around her like a comforting embrace. She could feel its subtle warmth and the gentle caress of its touch. The sensation reminded her of being cradled in someone's arms. It was a comforting thought, but also a little unsettling.

Stale and dusty, the interior smelled of mildew and mold, but she ignored the unpleasant odor. There were more important matters at hand.

As Ebonheim settled into her new position, the Akashic System sent her another prompt:

[Place the Control Matrix into the central receptacle to initiate Aetherframe initialization sequence. Warning: The Control Matrix will imprint, bonding permanently to the Aetherframe's systems. The Control Matrix will be lost upon removal or destruction.]

An uneasy chill ran along her spine. This was it. She took a deep breath, steeling her nerves. "Okay. Let's do this."

A square compartment opened on the console, revealing an empty slot. She reached out with her free hand, the cube materializing in her grip. She carefully placed the artifact into the opening.

The receptacle closed, sealing with a mechanical click.

[Prepare to spend Quintessence: 0/512]

She closed her eyes. A pulse of energy rippled through her, emanating from her heart. Her fingers traced along the Aetherframe's control panel. Lines of bright light burst forth, etching themselves onto the crystalline surface of the console.

As she ran her hands across the interface, the symbols responded, shifting and changing. A series of holographic screens flickered to life, displaying a variety of different diagrams, charts, and schematics.

[Aetherframe Activation Sequence Initialized. Beginning Runtime…]

The entire Aetherframe shuddered, its metallic joints and mechanisms groaning and creaking. Steam vented from various points, and a series of gears and pistons shifted and realigned. Pieces of shattered armor reconfigured, moving and locking back into their original positions. The cracks and holes sealed themselves with a series of sharp pops and snaps. Rust flaked away, revealing smooth, unblemished silver plates underneath.

The Aetherframe shook violently, as if awakening from a deep slumber. Its eyes flared with a bright white light, casting beams of luminance across the surrounding area. A grinding noise emanated from somewhere beneath Ebonheim, and the entire cockpit shook with a sudden jolt. The Aetherframe slowly rose, its movements jerky and stilted at first, but gradually becoming more fluid as the repairs continued.

Ebonheim winced as her skin prickled with stinging sparks, a few motes of energy trickling from her body into the machine. The sensation intensified as more of her quintessence was drawn away, the divine essence flowing steadily into the Aetherframe's circuits.

The Akashic System's guidance popped into view:

[512 Quintessence expended. Aetherframe Power Core: 236/720 (Power Reserve: 28% available). Runtime: 01:38:21]

A countdown timer appeared, ticking away the seconds.

That should be enough time for now. But what else can this thing do?

Memories, not her own, flooded her mind—scattered glimpses of an unfamiliar life. Her eyes shimmered, and her hands moved of their own accord, fingers dancing over the controls and moving the correct switches and levers as if guided by an unseen maestro. The knowledge and skill seemed to pour directly into her, like water into a glass. She recognized the Aetherframe's functions and capabilities as if they were extensions of her own.

The Aetherframe's chassis continued to shift and reconfigure, pieces sliding away and reshaping themselves. Armor panels rotated and aligned themselves into a new configuration, forming a new set of arms and legs. It stood tall on its new limbs, rising higher than before.

Woah. This thing was easily twice the size of the ones from Les Artisanats d'Éclair!

As the final component locked into place, the Aetherframe extended a pair of massive wings, spanning several meters on either side of its body. Each wing comprised numerous thin, crystalline rods, resembling the feathers of a bird. The air crackled with energy, and the wings glowed with a radiant light.

image

A new icon blinked in her peripheral vision, and Ebonheim mentally willed it into the forefront. Another prompt from the Akashic System popped into view:

[Flight Mode Engaged. Aetherframe is currently capable of limited aerial mobility. Recommended altitude ceiling is one thousand meters. Under ideal conditions, aetherwing flight speed can reach approximately four hundred kilometers per hour. Do you wish to proceed? Yes/No]

Aetherwing?! This thing can fly?! That would have come in handy earlier!

Ebonheim focused on the Yes option and confirmed her choice. A tremor ran through the Aetherframe as its engines roared to life. A torrent of heat and power surged through the wings, lifting the construct into the air.

The ground fell away below as Ebonheim ascended, the ruined city shrinking beneath them.

Inside the control alcove, she felt the vibrations and movements through the Aetherframe's surface. The rumble of the engines reverberated through the frame, the steady hum a comforting and reassuring presence.

Her senses expanded, her awareness shifting into a dizzying array of new perspectives. She saw through the Aetherframe's sensors, observing the surrounding area through a myriad of lenses and filters.

The vast panorama of the valley stretched out before her, bathed in the golden light of the setting sun. At the far edge of her sight, the floating islands loomed large in her vision, their details stark and clear.

She tested the Aetherframe's capabilities, flexing its arms and wings, stretching its legs and limbs, and maneuvering its neck.

Hmm, seems to work. Pretty responsive. Let's give this a whirl.

Ebonheim guided the construct, performing a few experimental maneuvers. The Aetherframe obeyed her commands readily, responding to her slightest movements. She rolled, banking and diving through the air. She flapped the wings, flying loops and spirals, climbing to new heights and dropping back down with exhilarating speed.

Despite its immense size, the Aetherframe was surprisingly agile and responsive. It maneuvered with ease, executing tight turns and rolls, and accelerating with surprising quickness. It felt like an extension of herself. She didn't even need to think about each individual command; the Aetherframe seemed to anticipate her desires.

Ebonheim grinned broadly. This was going to be fun.

A loud screech snapped her attention back to the here and now.

Liselotte dove toward the Aetherframe, a storm of wind and energy trailing in her wake. She stopped abruptly, hovering some distance away from the Aetherframe.

She cocked her head quizzically. "What in the Abyss is this?! Hey! Where did you come from? Where is Ebonheim?!"

She advanced warily, circling the Aetherframe in a wide arc. Her expression turned sour as she circled, her eyes narrowed and her lips curled in a disdainful sneer. She then looked down at the ruined city below.

"Mmn, I'm sure she's somewhere down there..."

Before Ebonheim could reply, Liselotte flew down to the ruins, darting back and forth amidst the dilapidated structures.

Is...is she looking for me?

She watched as the harpy queen flitted about, peering into various windows and doorways, occasionally diving into alleyways and side streets. She seemed determined to search every nook and cranny.

Eventually, Liselotte returned to the Aetherframe, flapping her wings and hovering nearby. Her expression was one of bewilderment.

"What'd you do to Ebonheim?! Where'd she go?" she demanded, jabbing a talon in Ebonheim's direction. "If you've done something to her, I'll tear you apart myself!"

Ebonheim stared back, unsure how to respond. "Err, well, I don't know how to say this..." She scratched her chin, searching for the right words. "Um, I am Ebonheim."

Liselotte tilted her head, blinking in confusion. "HUUUHH?!" Her voice carried the weight of utter disbelief. "What? What nonsense is this?" She scowled, glaring at the Aetherframe. "Don't screw around with me you oversized golem! Ebonheim is a cute, scrumptious godling, not a hunk of shiny scrap—wait...you sound like her.."

Her eyes widened, her pupils contracting into narrow, pinprick slits as a realization dawned on her. "Ebonheim! The golem ate you, is that it?! Don't worry, I'll rescue you from its belly! And then I'll eat you myself!"

Ebonheim sighed inwardly. Of course, she'd take this the wrong way. Why wouldn't she? This sort of thing had probably never happened before. She probably hadn't even seen Aetherframes. Just her luck.

"No, no, nothing like that." Ebonheim made calming motions with her hands. "Look, calm down. Let me explain. The Aetherframe...it, um, think of it as an oversized suit of armor. I'm just wearing it."

Liselotte gave her an incredulous stare, her mouth agape. "Eh...? Eeeh...?!" She blinked repeatedly, her face contorting in a series of odd expressions. "EH-HEH-HEH-EEEEEHHH?! WHAT?! Are you serious?! You're telling the truth?" She examined the Aetherframe with renewed interest, circling around and scrutinizing its exterior.

Ebonheim nodded. "Yup. It's the truth."

Liselotte's expression changed to one of childlike excitement, her eyes sparkling and a toothy grin splitting her face. "Wow! Wow! That means I'll have to pry you out of that shell before I could eat you, huh? This is gonna be fun! So exciting!"

Ebonheim groaned. "Ugh, why is she so...why..."


Ebonheim's fingers tensed around the controls, gripping them tightly. The control alcove rumbled with the vibration of the Aetherframe's engine and its gears and servos straining as the mechanism adjusted to her actions. The limbs moved as she directed, mirroring her motions. She could feel the feedback through the tactile link, sensing the resistance and pressure of each gesture.

A few test swings of the arms and legs confirmed the responses, and she found the whole experience quite natural. There was almost no noticeable delay between her intentions and the action.

Yet, despite its responsiveness and the sudden knowledge and skill poured into her, she felt the weight of her inexperience, like a novice dancer partnered with a seasoned performer. Her every move lacked confidence. Despite her newfound understanding of the machine's capabilities, the reality of using them in combat still lay ahead.

Liselotte kept staring, watching the Aetherframe intently as if waiting for Ebonheim to make her first move. She rocked back and forth in midair, her wings beating slowly to keep her afloat.

Ebonheim didn't want to wait. She had the initiative and the momentum. No sense in letting Liselotte regain her composure and find another advantage.

A new icon flashed—a crosshair—and she understood. Weapon systems online.

She didn't hesitate.

Guiding the Aetherframe, she aligned the crosshair with Liselotte's swiftly moving form. Her finger flicked over the firing button, and a barrage of energy beams shot forth from lenses that emerged from the Aetherframe's shoulders.

The beams streaked through the air with a brilliant flare.

Liselotte flinched, dodging and weaving to avoid the incoming shots. She spun and twisted, ducking under the bursts of energy, but a few beams grazed her, leaving scorch marks and wounds along her wings and back.

She hissed, a low growl rumbling from her throat. "Grahh! Bitch!"

Her wings unfurled fully, and she launched herself forward, a bolt of azure and white streaking across the sky, her talons outstretched.

Ebonheim's hands danced across the controls, instinct guiding her more than knowledge. Her eyes tracked Liselotte's blurring form, anticipating and predicting her trajectory. Her fingers depressed buttons and toggled switches.

A shimmering barrier of energy formed in front of the Aetherframe, and Liselotte slammed into it, the force field rippling and distorting from the impact.

"Grahh! Fuck!" Liselotte bounced off the barrier, flipping end over end, but quickly righted herself, leveling out and pulling up to hover a short distance away. "Grrrh! Ooh, I'll enjoy breaking you!"

The harpy queen dove, a streak of color against the cerulean sky, her wind magic swirling around her body and wings.

Ebonheim banked hard, turning to match Liselotte's trajectory. The control alcove rattled and shook, but held together as she pulled the Aetherframe into a dive. Her hands flew over the controls, activating the weapon systems once more. Energy beams lanced out, piercing through the air, but Liselotte's evasive maneuvers made it difficult to track her.

"Damn it, hold still," she muttered through gritted teeth.

She pressed the weapons fire button, unleashing another volley of beams, but Liselotte weaved through the blasts, avoiding most of them. One beam hit its mark, slicing into the harpy's side and causing her to veer off course.

Liselotte grunted. Blood dripped from the wound, leaving crimson trails in her wake. But as she banked upward, the gash began to close, the torn flesh mending and healing rapidly.

In retaliation, Liselotte unleashed a barrage of wind blades. Sharp gusts of air cut through the sky, whirling and spinning, seeking to slice into the Aetherframe.

Ebonheim pulled up, banking hard. The roar of the thrusters on the wings shook the control alcove as the Aetherframe climbed, but several wind blades grazed the Aetherframe, leaving shallow gashes on the armor.

Liselotte chased after her, launching another volley of wind blades.

Ebonheim wrenched the controls, steering the Aetherframe into a looping corkscrew spiral. The maneuver carried her out of the path of the incoming wind blades, and they sailed harmlessly by.

Her stomach lurched from the dizzying acrobatics, but she maintained her focus, keeping the crosshairs locked onto Liselotte.


The dance of combat unfolded in the skies above the ancient city. Metal clashed with talon as they traded blows back and forth. The battle raged on, neither gaining an upper hand for long.

Liselotte darted around the Aetherframe, seeking any openings and vulnerabilities.

Ebonheim evaded as best she could, but Liselotte's agility and speed proved difficult to match. Still, she kept Liselotte on the defensive, pressing her with a relentless barrage of energy beams, forcing the harpy to duck and weave. Liselotte's wounds healed rapidly, while the Aetherframe's durability remained untested.

Its armor absorbed most of the damage from the talons and wind magic, but a few lucky strikes pierced through, leaving shallow gashes and rents in the metal. The pain of each impact rippled through the control alcove, the feedback from the Aetherframe translating directly to her body.

The two combatants circled, swirled, and darted across the sky, exchanging attacks and counterattacks. They rose and plummeted, their shadows crossing paths as they moved across the land below. Their wings blazed trails of light, tracing out their movements in the air.

Finally, after a particularly intense clash, Liselotte retreated, putting some distance between herself and the Aetherframe.

Ebonheim smirked. Take that. Now, to capitalize.

She explored the control panel, her fingers brushing over runes and tactile interfaces that shimmered with arcane light. New options flickered into existence, and she focused her attention on one that seemed appropriate.

A pair of sleek, crystalline blades extended from the Aetherframe's arms, catching the light and casting prismatic shadows. The edges gleamed with a virescent radiance.

Ebonheim hefted the sword-arms, testing the weapons with a few experimental swings. They looked sharp. Very sharp.

Her smile widened. Perfect.

Liselotte shrieked, rushing forward once again. A tempest of wind swirled around her, whipping through the air and lashing at the surrounding space. Her talons shone with a white light, leaving a trail of ghostly flames in their wake.

Ebonheim tightened her grip on the controls, raising her arms defensively. Her crystalline blades met Liselotte's talons in a shower of sparks. The impact jolted through her, and she gritted her teeth as the shockwave rippled through the control alcove.

Strong! Even though she was in an Aetherframe that was nearly five times Liselotte's size, she felt like she was being pushed back.

As the blades pressed against Liselotte's talons, the harpy queen lunged forward, pushing harder.

Ebonheim leaned into her attack, the thrum of the engines vibrating through the frame as the power output increased.

Then, as Liselotte pressed in closer, Ebonheim pivoted, allowing the momentum to carry her. The change of direction caught Liselotte off-guard, and the crystalline blades slashed through her legs, severing her talons cleanly.

Blood spurted from the stumps as Liselotte retreated, careening through the air as she screamed in agony. "GAAAAAAAH! GRAAGHH!"

Liselotte's talons dropped from the sky, falling in a rain of blood.

Ebonheim winced, a surge of guilt rising within her. She never wanted all this to happen. She hadn't wanted to fight but circumstances forced her hand.

"Liselotte, listen to me, please. This is all a misunderstanding. We can talk this out. I don't want to—"

"SHUT UP!" Liselotte roared, her eyes flashing crimson.

She ascended high above, flying in an intricate pattern through the sky. Her blurred form glowed with a fiery light as the air around her distorted and rippled. Suddenly, the severed stumps began to regrow, sprouting feathers and flesh as new talons formed from nothing.

Watching the regeneration process unfold, Ebonheim couldn't help but shudder. It seemed like so long as Liselotte stayed in the air, she would constantly recover. There would be no end to this fight.

Liselotte slowed to a halt once more, hovering above her. She let out a cackling laugh as her feathers bristled, sending sparks dancing across her wings. The once azure and white plumage took on a dark crimson hue, and the air around her distorted in waves.

With an ear-splitting screech, Liselotte released a conflagration of energy in all directions, bathing the sky in a blinding light.

The concussive blast slammed into the Aetherframe, knocking Ebonheim off-balance, causing her to tumble end over end in the air. She struggled to right herself, wrestling with the controls as she stabilized the machine. The engines on her wings whined as the turbines strained, their thrusters glowing brightly with intense heat.

Her head reeled, and her ears rang as she fought to regain her bearings. She squinted, attempting to focus her vision, but the afterimages of the explosion clouded her sight. The Aetherframe's visual filters kicked in automatically, dimming the harsh glare.

Once her eyes readjusted, she spotted Liselotte once more, hovering high above her. Her appearance had changed.

Her wings, once a dazzling white and blue, had transformed into dark, scarlet plumes edged with gold. Her body burned with an inner light, illuminating the sky around her. Her hair billowed behind her, a cascade of crimson locks that matched the color of her wings. Her talons, formerly ivory, were now black as pitch and shone with an arcane glow.

The vermillion color of her eyes had turned amber, blazing like miniature suns. A sinister air exuded from her as she gazed down at Ebonheim. No longer was there a feral grin or playful arrogance. Only cold, calculated rage remained.

Ebonheim's instincts warned her to brace herself for something terrible.

In a flash, Liselotte's form vanished.

An afterimage of her figure trailed in her wake as she rocketed downward, appearing directly in front of the Aetherframe within a split second.

Ebonheim barely had time to react as Liselotte struck. Her black talons raked the armor, carving deep gashes in the metal. Fiery explosions erupted with each contact, searing the air and sending ripples of heat through the frame.

The control alcove rattled with violent tremors, and warning indicators flared red in Ebonheim's vision. Damage reports and alert notifications clamored for her attention, but she ignored them, focusing on maintaining control of the Aetherframe.

"Great, she got serious." Ebonheim gritted her teeth. "Can't lose my nerve now."

5