76. Eerie smiles
1.1k 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adapting to new things is hard, especially when faced with something entirely new.

At least that was the excuse I told myself as I was gliding through the air, trying to adapt myself to my new longer wings.

With great effort, I flapped my wings, exerting force to ascend, when a sudden surge of spiritual pressure passed through my body.

It was an unpleasant sensation akin to an evil predator aiming its gaze directly at its prey.

“A new enemy.” I muttered to myself. “A shinigami, judging by the distinctive spiritual pressure it is releasing.”

That was not an unexpected development. Most of the Espada were already defeated, leaving the invaders as the biggest obstacles in my path.

With that much in mind, I scanned the area around me, searching for traces of the unknown captain aiming at me.

The malevolence infused within the spiritual pressure left little doubt as to its origin. Only two shinigami possessed such negative energy.

My desire to kill them burned brightly inside me. The visions of what they could have done to me haunted me

Yet, a sense of apprehension filled my body at the same time.

Would I be capable of facing head on that woman?

In those brief flashes I had managed to see, I would follow her every word without questioning, captivated by her mere presence.

It was a terrifying prospect, for I feared becoming a romantic between her arms, losing my path.

The very existence of that woman and the man she loved served as a constant thorn in my side.

Yet, at that moment, a random flash of light passed through my eyes, disorienting my senses.

It was an image of my little Noelle running naked while Asguiaro runned behind her with a pink dress in his hand.

“Another useless vision!” My zanpakuto spirit, Ignición, chimed in. “Without a separated consciousness, you can no longer ignore them, right?”

I scoffed at his words. He was clearly underestimating my willpower.

“I can ignore them anytime.” I declared. “I did it all the time in my last life.”

“If you say so.”

He was obviously not convinced by my declaration, not that I cared about it.

Nevertheless, the sudden vision had served as a distraction strong enough to clear my mind.

So what if I found myself drawn to that woman?

My will was not so weak, I was capable of withstanding female charms now. I was not an inexperienced fellow who had not tasted love before.

There were greater priorities that demanded my attention, people who relied on me, a family I was bound to protect.

Hell, there was a whole race whose fate depended on my actions.

With that realization firmly rooted in my mind, I refocused my attention on the present. I could sense it, my enemy was stalking me, probing my spiritual pressure.

She was waiting for the right moment to strike.

However, no matter how much I steeled my heart. Nothing could prepare me for what awaited me.

For the moment I reached the place she was on and saw Unohana… I saw her beautiful face… her eerie smile…

I couldn’t stop myself from behaving like a teenager.

My wings started to beat awkwardly, breaking my balance midair, almost spinning out of control.

My eyes were open so wide I could feel them burning. Each breath I took was strained, as if my lungs struggled to draw in enough air and my face felt so hot.

Below me, Unohana observed me, a bemused expression playing on her face.

It was obvious she had realized what my stupid behavior ensued. She was after all someone who had lived for a really long time.

The dark smile on her face was a clear indication of that.

Even then, I decided to face her.

Dropping to the ground in a crouch. I pulled out my zanpakuto.

“Straight to business huh.” Unohana mused, drawing her own zanpakuto. “To make a healer draw her weapon, such disrespect.”

I didn’t answer her provocation, too busy feeling my beating heart at her sight.

“Isane, please keep your distance. He is not an enemy you can currently face.”

I didn’t see her lieutenant expression, too busy admiring Unohana, but I could hear the fear in her voice.

“But.. Captain!” Was Isane’s plea.

“Don’t question me.!”

I allowed Isane to run away, still enraptured by the feeling of my beating heart.

Falling in love at first sight… It was such a sweet feeling.

It was something I hadn’t felt with any other woman.

And by Unohana’s expression, she was feeling something similar.

“Let’s begin!” She said with an eerie sweet voice.

Her hands held her zanpakuto, her spiritual pressure washing over me like crazy.

8