Chapter 24 Deadly Trap
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Ang trotted along the path, veering westward before reaching a road flanked by ancient woods. The morning dew settled heavily, barely noticeable marks of dampness on the moss beneath the ancient trees.

Amused, Chen Ang traced these imprints and chuckled.

"To the Lushan fellow hidden there, there's no need to skulk! Ding Mian, Lushan holds a reputable stance, so I trust you won't let me down. If you persist in hiding, don't blame me for launching a dart!" Chen Ang's gaze drifted towards the forest to the north, a playful glint in his eyes. A small silver dart rested in his hand while a swallow flitted nimbly around him, poised to soar from his grasp at any moment.

Apart from the rustling of branches in the breeze, the surroundings remained serene. Even the birdsong atop the trees seemed undisturbed by the situation.

"Ding Mian, you've truly disappointed me! I know I can't deceive you, yet I also can't retreat. What do you desire?" Chen Ang's voice echoed through the woods as he brandished the dart. However, the swallows remained still, refraining from darting away.

A flash of silver streaked across the treetops, disappearing without a trace.

After a while, a Lushan disciple plummeted from the treetops, landing limply on the ground. Embedded in his hat, a silver dart gleamed, pinned precariously close to his head by the surrounding branches.

A large hand emerged from above, deftly catching the silver dart lodged in the hat.

A stout, elderly man with a yellow complexion, clutching the silver dart, sneered, "Crafted from steel, this silver dart's material is unusual, and the craftsmanship is impressive. It's probably worth more than a few hundred gold pieces. Even if you're a wealthy Wan Family, can you carry a handful of these?"

The gathered Lushan Disciples listened intently, their faces slightly lifted at his words. Ding Mian and Lu Bai stood behind him, while Jiuqu Jianzhong positioned the other two Taibaos behind Chen Ang.

Chen Ang quickly assessed the situation. There were roughly five or six martial arts practitioners present, with at least three surpassing his own skills. Clearly, they were the esteemed seniors of the Lushan faction. His sweeping gaze caught the likes of Baishan Xianweng Bu Shen, vulture Sha Tianjiang, Jin Mao Lion Gao Kexin, and others among the group.

If any harm came to these individuals here, it could spell irreversible repercussions for Lushan.

Chen Ang smiled, refraining from contesting Le Hou's words. He drove his long sword deep into the ground and, drawing it out, sent a large marble stone hurtling skyward.

A swing of the sword's sheath collided with the stone.

"Hey!" A soft sound, and the stone shot forth. A whistling gust followed, only for Le Hou to witness a faint silhouette hurtling directly towards him. He quickly raised an iron hand to shield his face.

With a resounding "clang," Le Hou's hands numbed from the impact, and the force propelled him several steps backward, eventually colliding with a nearby tree.

His face paled, hands trembling. The iron hand had been struck by a stone roughly the size of a marble, appearing completely natural. In despair, Le Hou involuntarily spat out two front teeth, his face contorted in agony.

"My darts may be precious, but the stones on the ground can be picked up by simply bending over. If you think that the stones on the ground are inferior, then come and challenge me!" Chen Ang's mouth formed a faint smile.

Tensions escalated among the Lushan Disciples, several of them nervously brandishing their swords, guarding their chests.

"Haha! The doctor of the gods is laughing!" A booming voice reverberated, resonating with the aura of a leader. Suddenly, a group of Laoshan disciples emerged, carrying large shields, skillfully shielding themselves. These cowhide shields were impenetrable, even against two-stone-strong bows. From behind, they produced a handful of delicate arrows, aiming them at Chen Ang.

Unperturbed, Chen Ang simply focused on an old man emerging from the forest.

Zuo Leng Zen stepped forward, positioning himself before Le Hou. "Doctor, there's been a misunderstanding. Zuo bears no ill intent, but I need to ask, who holds sway over our Five Top Sword Factions?"

Chen Ang chuckled lightly but offered no immediate answer. "I've heard that the esteemed Left Sect Master of Lushan holds a prominent position, leading the middle part of the Five Top Sword Factions. I've also learned of the Lushan faction's recent rise under the Left Sect Master's guidance, truly remarkable."

Upon hearing this, Left Cold Zen couldn't hide his satisfaction, respectfully acknowledging with a fist, "We've earned the admiration of all our Jiang Hu peers!"

"Alas!" Chen Ang's lips curved into a smile. "There are too many narrow-minded individuals in this world. Their praise is often overblown and sensational. So..."

Chen Ang's voice trailed off as he fixed his gaze on Left Cold Zen, uttering each word with calculated intent.

"Is the Lushan faction truly remarkable now?"

Glancing at Zuo Lengchan's suddenly darkened countenance, Chen Ang continued with a smile, "Zuo Leng Zen, do you consider yourself exceptional? Or have you forgotten a fundamental truth?"

"What truth?" Zuo Lengchan sneered.

"The truth of Yanque's insight into Hongjun's ambition!" Chen Ang met his gaze, reciting aloud: "The phoenix soars high and unblemished, not obstructed. Even a sparrow can see the phoenix."

"Zuo Leng Zen, you might be considered a treasure within the Five Yue faction, esteemed in power and reputation. Yet, in my eyes, you're merely a petty mouse. Your current caution and apprehension, your feigned trepidation, they're all part of a ruse, a feeble attempt at villainy."

"You approach me today, questioning the phoenix while being 'a sparrow.' Is that not the truth?"

Chen Ang shook his head, chuckling, as he regarded Zuo Lengchan, his eyes filled with regret and pity.

Zuo Lengchan furrowed his brow, fixating on the empty space before him. Speaking in a subdued tone, he said slowly, "Ambitions are as diverse as birdsong! Do you comprehend my aspirations?"

"Hah!" Chen Ang shook his head and sighed, looking at Leng Chan with a sense of isolation. "Nobody truly understands me." He couldn't help but laugh.

"A hundred aspirations? There's a myriad of swords surrounding you, constantly in motion, slicing through the air. Passersby observe, Jiang Hu's heroes acknowledge, and they are compelled to pay their respects, addressing you as Left Sect Master, Leader of the Left Alliance, commanding thousands of disciples from the Five Sacred Mountains, governing the sprawling eight thousand miles of verdant forest. Dominating Wudang Shaolin – quite the prestigious and domineering persona! Haha!"

Chen Ang sneered, pointing accusingly. "Shall I honor you, Causeway Bay, Master of the Squat, Left Cold Zen, Left Sect Master?"

Though the exact meaning behind Chen Ang's words was elusive, the mockery in his tone was unmistakable. The Lushan faction members tightened their grips on their swords, their sustained gazes aimed at him.

"You have your days to wander, the Nine Provinces to explore, and the vast Four Seas to traverse. I believe this is your world, and you view martial arts battles as the epitome of it. Yet, trapped in a well like a bird, your understanding is limited. When confronted with a grander perspective, you only possess the ambitions of a minnow. I don't blame you for that."

"But, Left Cold Zen, the world isn't confined to Jiang Hu alone. It's not solely about seeking fame and fortune. My path may be subject to your critique, but how could you possibly comprehend it? I only hope that after today, you'll broaden your perspective and relinquish the narrow-mindedness."

Chen Ang motioned towards his long sword, slowing his pace.

Listening intently, Zuo Lengchan's eyes flickered, fixed on the long sword in Chen Ang's hand, before he sighed. "This is your sword? It's exceptional, but it's a pity!"

He lamented, a deep regret etched on his face. "This sword, though remarkable, belongs to a madman!"

"Even if you're mad, you should have a bright future. But why showcase your madness before the Lushan faction?" Zuo Lengchan lightly smiled, brandishing the long sword while standing opposite Chen Ang, inching forward gradually. "Since I've stood here, you're unlikely to return to Hong Kong without incident, soaring for nine days!"

"I must witness the dead finch; dare you make an oath!"

Before he finished speaking, all the Lushan Disciples were ready, and a few fierce sword lights flew towards Chen Ang, ripping apart the branches and leaves on the path. Each of these practitioners was among the best in Jiang Hu. Under their force, even a first-class martial artist would struggle.

A sharp sword light radiated from Zuo Lengchan's waist, its powerful energy tearing through the grass around him. The sword light swirled like lightning, thrusting towards Chen Ang's heart.

Dozens of sword lights moved back and forth, creating a maze that blocked any escape route for Chen Ang. Several Taibaos' swords joined in, their sharp edges aimed at Chen Ang. Alongside Zuo Lengchan, they executed a deadly trap.

0