Chapter 2.4: The Biting Dinner
237 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Father, we’re here."

Kaito and Kanako stepped into the room, where their father was sitting at the head of the chabudai in the center of the tatami-covered floor. Behind him was a sliding door leading out to the garden. The room was dimly lit by a lantern that hung from the ceiling and cast a warm glow over the cozy space. On the wall, there was a big painting of a cherry blossom tree. The table was already covered with various dishes, such as rice, miso soup, grilled fish, pickles, and tofu. The scent of the food wafted through the air, a tantalizing fragrance that aroused the siblings appetites.

Nakamura Hiro, their father, appeared unfazed by his two children's entrance into the room. He remained in a state of deep meditation, his eyes gently closed as he sat in the traditional Japanese style of seiza on his cushion. He wore the same attire he had on earlier this morning, a black hakama and a white kimono, and exuded an aura of serene tranquility.

Kaito and Kanako bowed to their father and sat down on their own cushions. Kanako, as was her habit, posed a question to her father.

"What would you like to drink, Father? Sake or tea?" The sound of his daughter's voice penetrated the peaceful atmosphere of the room, and Hiro slowly opened his eyes his meditation coming to an end.

“Tea,” he said in a firm and decisive tone.

Kanako nodded obediently and reached for the teapot, being careful not to burn herself on the still-hot vessel. She expertly poured the fragrant brew into her father's cup before returning the teapot to its place on the table.

"Thank you." Hiro said.

"You're welcome," she murmured with a small bow.

With that, the family’s dinner began.

 

As the dinner progressed, the silence started to fall upon the family. Kaito seemed solely focused on his food, showing no indication of making an effort to engage in conversation anytime soon. Kanako, sensing the need to break the quiet, turned her head to her father she asked:

"Father, did you call me here for a particular reason?"

Upon hearing his daughter's question, Hiro paused and momentarily dropped his chopsticks mid-air. He then slowly looked at her, instead of answering her question he asked:

"How is your mother?"

Kanako's expression softened at the mention of her mother, and she eagerly updated her father on her health and daily routine. As she spoke, the mood in the room began to shift, becoming more relaxed and comfortable. Kanako even shared some humorous anecdotes about her mother's quirks, eliciting a few chuckles from her father and brother.

Mother of Kanako, Nakamura Akiko, was the former wife of Hiro. The two had lived together for three years before Hiro remarried Kaito's mother. At the time of their marriage, Akiko was the daughter of a prominent company in Japan. The divorce between Akiko and Hiro was a shock to many and was even covered by top newspapers. Despite the media attention, the reasons behind their divorce remained unknown. However, even after the divorce, Akiko chose to keep the Nakamura family name and lived a celibate life with her daughter Kanako.

Kanako's mood gradually shifted as the conversation continued.

"Father, mother really misses you. She talks about you all the time," she said, her words hanging in the air. It was as if each one was a heartfelt plea.

"So, father, come back with me and my mother."

Kaito said nothing. He knew his father's deep love for the dojo and his desire to uphold the legacy of their family's martial art. He believed his father would refuse her like many times before.

"Tell your mother I will return to her, Kanako," Hiro said, his voice slow and deliberate as he spoke each word.

There was a moment of stunned silence for Kanako and Kaito after their father 's unexpected declaration. The sister was the first to respond, her voice thick with emotion.

"Is it true, Father?" she asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

Overcome with emotion, she stood up and rushed to her father's side, enveloping him in a tight embrace.

Kaito's mind raced as he tried to understand his father's words. That meant that he was going to inherit the dojo from his father. While he had always known that this day would come, he had assumed it would be at least ten more years to prepare himself for the responsibility. The idea that his father might be handing it over to him now was both thrilling and daunting.

However, Kaito had never expected what came next. Hiro remained calm as he looked towards his son. With each of his words, time seemed to flow slowly.

"Kaito, I will close the dojo."

.....

The statement hit Kaito like a ton of bricks, leaving him and even his sister, who was in joy, shocked and in disbelief.

"What...do you...mean?" Kaito asked, his voice trembling and unsure. He could not grasp what he just heard.

"I'm going to close the dojo. You don't have to worry about taking over and running it anymore." Hiro said with an unwavering voice.

Kaito's surprise quickly turned to anger. He slammed his hands on the table, stood up, and glared at his father. "What do you mean!?" he demanded.

"Why? Because I lost to you for the hundredth time?" Kaito's bitterness was palpable.

He wished it was all a joke, that his father and sister would start laughing and tell him it was all a prank. But there was no humor in Hiro's expression, only contempt. He said:

"Yes, how can I entrust the dojo to a useless kid who can't win a single match out of a hundred? That would be an insult to the family's reputation. I'd rather end it myself than hand it over to you."

Cruel. Merciless. Heartless. His father, the person who had taught Kaito everything he knew about martial arts, The man who Kaito respected. How could he say something so hurtful to his own son? The words felt like punches that hit Kaito's mind. He couldn't take it anymore. Without a word, he turned and stormed out of the room.

"Kaito, Kaito!" Kanako called after him, trying to chase her brother, but he had disappeared into the darkness of the house.

 

Thank you for your support. Please feel free to leave any feedback you may have.

 

7