Chapter 5.3: Blind Woman and the Missing Daughter (part 2)
86 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hokkaido, another snowy day.

Snow again. I hate it. It's cold and wet and slippery. It makes me sad and angry. I can't play outside. Snow is boring, annoying, and ugly.

 

Misa, a 7-year-old girl, sat on the floor of the engawa in a large traditional house in Hokkaido. She looked out at the garden with a sad expression, seeing the snowflakes cover the flowers and branches of the trees. She wanted to go outside to play, but the cold weather had made her throat sore and just yesterday she had still been lying in bed due to the fever that had tormented her for a week.

Hana entered the room, bringing a steaming cup of ginger tea for her daughter. Seeing her daughter sitting along there with a gloomy face, Hana took a sit beside and gently brushed her hair:

"What are you thinking about, sweetie?" She asked with concern.

"I...want to...go o-out." Misa said with difficulty, her voice raspy from the cold.

Hana shook her head and said firmly, "No, you need to rest, your body is still fragile." She wrapped a blanket around Misa and cuddled her softly.

Just then, they heard the door slide open.

"Tadaima."(1)

A man in a fine kimono with white hair walked in.

"Okaeri, Papa."(1)

Misa's eyes sparkled as she saw her father. She got up and ran to him, ignoring the ache in her body.

"Misa, how are you feeling?" He asked, lifting her up and holding her close.

"B-better." Misa lied, not wanting to worry him.

Upon hearing his daughter's unwell voice, the father didn’t ask anything more. He embraced her even tighter.

"How was your trip? Did everything go well?" Hana asked him affectionately. Setting the cup down, she joined in the hug with her daughter and husband.

"Work was great. I closed a big deal with a client in Tokyo. He was very impressed by our products and services." He said proudly before gaving his wife a sweet kiss.

"...That's wonderful news." Hana sincerely replied.

“I also got this for you two.” He smiled and took out two woolen hats. He placed the dark gray one on Hana’s head and commented, “It matches your eyes. You’re such a beautiful woman, Hana. I love you.” He then put the white one on Misa’s head and kissed her cheek. “This is for you, Misa. You look like an angel to me.”

"Thank..you, Papa." Misa blushed.

"But wait, there's one more surprise for my lovely daughter." Reaching into his kimono, the father pulled out a box and opened it. Inside was a snow globe with a miniature house and a garden.

"This is for you too. It's a little piece of winter wonderland that you can enjoy anytime."

Misa gasped in delight and took the snow globe. She shook it gently and watched the snowflakes swirl around the house and the garden. She felt like she was inside a fairy tale.

"Misa, you have to get well soon so you can play outside with me, okay?" He said softly.

"Yes, Papa." Misa nodded eagerly.

"And what about me?" Hana asked playfully. "Don't I get another gift?"

He winked at his wife and whispered in her ear. Hana giggled and nodded shyly. Misa didn't notice them as she was absorbed in the magic of the snow globe.

 

Hokkaido, a happy snowy day.

Today, my father gave me a snow globe. I love it. It's shiny and sparkly and magical. It makes me happy and smile. I can play with it inside. The snow globe is beautiful, lovely, and cute.

Maybe snow is not so bad after all.

 

 

Hokkaido, a terrible day.

Today Papa told us he had a bad illness and he couldn’t live longer. I am sad and scared. He is in the hospital and Mama is with him. I have to stay home and be brave. But I don’t feel brave at all. I miss them so much. I only have Sami beside me and console me.

I wish Papa could get better soon. I wish we could be a family again. I wish this terrible day never happened.

Misa, 10 years old, hugged Sami, the doll that her father had given her. She sobbed quietly in the corner of the room. The window was shut tight, blocking out the sound of children playing outside. The curtains were drawn, hiding the warm rays of spring, her favorite season. Misa’s heart sank in the dark.

Her new modern phone, a gift from her father, lay on the bed next to her feet. Misa wanted to pick it up and call her mother, but she was afraid of what she might hear…

 

Hokkaido, my worst summer vacation ever.

Today, Papa is no longer here with Mama and me..............

 

Hokkaido, A dull day of farewell.

Today, I with Mama will leave the house of Papa.

I am really sad, but I think it will be better for two of us. We wouldn’t have to hear the cruel insults from uncles and aunts, brothers and sisters of Papa anymore. It's just the two of us left, and we will start a new life. As long as I have my mother, I think that...may enough...

 

Misa, 13 years old, carefully checked each item in her small suitcase. Then she put the dolls, stuffed animals, the snow globe…all gifts that her father had given her in another suitcase. She looked around the room one last time before leaving. The memories of when her father was alive, when he and she talked to each other, played together, flooded her mind. Misa couldn’t hold back the tears from falling.

“Misa, are you ready to go?”

The door opened, and Hana stepped inside to check on her daughter. But when she heard the sniffles and witnessed the tear-stained face on her loved one, she rushed forward and enveloped Misa in a tight, comforting embrace.

“Be strong, Misa. You have to be strong if we want to take back what belongs to us,” Hana whispered to her child.

But the voice of the mother seemed did not reach the daughter. Misa cried harder in the hold of her mother’s arms.

“I have a gift for you,” Hana said with a smile, hoping to cheer her up.

And like hearing a magical word, Misa instinctively looked up, her sobbing face gradually faded. Misa’s whole life had been connected with gifts from her parents, she couldn’t help but let curiosity fill her.

Hana took from her kimono a bottle of perfume. It had a picture of citrus on the logo. Misa loved citrus fruits more than anything. They reminded her of her home, where they grew in abundance. Her father was a businessman, he had traveled to many places around Japan and the world to bring back seeds and find ways to grow them.

“We won’t forget...” Hana said softly, while spraying the citrus perfume on her daughter’s hand. "Whenever you miss home, simply use this. Let its fragrance transport you.”

Pausing for a moment, Hana locked eyes with her daughter, her words resolute. “Look at me, Misa. You have to study hard, become a successful person like your father, then get back this house. I will always be beside you and help you. Can you do that for me, for dad, and also for you?”

Misa nodded.

 

 

Tokyo, a stressful day of study.

It has been two years since I moved here to live. At first, I was overwhelmed by living in a big city like Tokyo, but now I can proudly say that I am an urban citizen.

I have made many new friends here, and they have helped me a lot. Tonight, they invited me to go shopping for the upcoming Christmas. I really wanted to go, but I had to finish the exercise homework Mama gave me.

I felt so stressed and tired these days! I wanted to have fun, but I was afraid of getting a low score in the upcoming exam. If I did poorly, Mama would not be happy.

Maybe tomorrow will be better. I hope so.

 

 

Tokyo, ............................................................

Mama, I am sleepy and exhausted.

 

Mama, I want to have a boyfriend. I want to go outside and play with my friends.

 

I'm sorry, Mama.

 

Mama, please, I can’t take any more yelling.

 

Why did you hit me, Mama?

 

It hurts!

 

It hurts!!

 

I can't bear it anymore!

 

How could you break my snow globe? It was the gift from Papa.

 

Mother, stop tormenting me!!

 

 

............

"Moshi moshi. Captain, are you still there?" Misa asked, worried by the silence on the other end of the line.

Kanako snapped out of her contemplation and cleared her throat.

“I apologize, please continue with your report.”

Misa hesitated for a moment, then resumed her narration.

“Around the same time, eight years ago, a truck hit Inoue Misa when she ran out of her house. According to the neighbors’ account, they had heard a heated altercation between mother and daughter before the accident happened. In addition, Benihana, mother of Inoue Misa, was also found with a serious injury on her face, especially on the eyes, that led to her permanent blindness. But when she was asked about what happened that day, Benihana insisted that she had slipped and fallen onto a pot of boiling water by herself, without mentioning anything about the argument with her daughter.”

Kanako shook her head in disbelief and sadness. Misa continued:

"The shock of losing her child had a serious impact on Benihana's mental health. She had to stay in a psychiatric hospital for five years. According to the latest report, she was also diagnosed to have signs of mild Alzheimer’s disease.”

"...Thank you for your report, Misa. It’s very detailed and informative," Kanako said sincerely.

"I hope it can help you," Misa replied, feeling a bit awkward. Then she continued, "Can I ask you something, Captain?"

"Go on."

"What do you think really happened that day? Who hurt Benihana’s eyes?” Misa asked, hoping to hear Kanako's perspective.

There was a moment of silence before Kanako spoke.

"That is indeed a difficult question, Misa. I’m thinking about it. Let's review the story from beginning to end."

Kanako began to share her thorough thoughts

"Benihana was born and raised in a poor family. She tried her best to survive, overcoming each day. And as a reward for her efforts, God had granted her a wealthy man and a loving daughter. Her life should have been happy...if it weren't for the existence of her husband's cruel siblings. They saw her as an opportunist, marrying their brother for money. And things only got worse when she lost the protection of her husband. Benihana lacked the necessary knowledge and fell into the trap the siblings set up, resulting in her losing her home."

Kanako paused for a brief before continuing.

"But Benihana was not one to give up. She still had her daughter, who possessed the noble bloodline from her father, someone worthy enough to regain what she lost. Inoue Misa was Benihana’s everything, and she poured her determination, burdening those small shoulders with great expectations. Perhaps even Benihana herself did not realize that her resolve had gradually turned into an unhealthy obsession. And, in turn, her ambition had cooled her innocent daughter's affection. Conflict between the mother and the child was inevitable when the daughter's expectations didn’t align with her mother's.”

"...So, who do you think blinded Benihana that day?” Misa asked impatiently.

"The answer is... I don't know," Kanako replied.

"No. I don't believe you, Captain. Please tell me your answer."

"Well, the truth is, it doesn't matter who did it. Inoue Misa ran out of the house when her mother was injured, perhaps because she was calling for someone to help her mother? Even though Benihana suffered a wound that resulted in blindness, she still insisted that she caused it herself, rather than creating a potentially damaging reputation for her daughter. Regardless of who it was, in the end, they still share a sacred mother-daughter bond."

"I see..." Misa said, her tone tinged with a hint of understanding. She took a moment to gather her thoughts, contemplating her next inquiry. "Hmm, why did you decide to assist with this case, captain?"

"It's actually just a coincidence. I was asked for help by a weird policeman at the station." Kanako explained.

"Was it really just a coincidence?" Misa's tone grew suspicious.

"Yes, why do you ask?" Kanako chuckled softly, imagining Misa's pouting face on the other end of the line.

“No, it’s nothing...But captain, I must remind you that you have to resolve the case today only, not beyond that. It would be troublesome if the chief found out about these unrelated tasks you're doing. I will keep your activities confidential for now.” Misa cautioned.

"I am well aware of that, that’s why I asked for your help, Fujimoto Misa," Kanako replied, a smile gracing her lips. She casually picked up a bottle of perfume, raising it to her nose and take a gentle whiff of the scent.

"Good...It seems you grasp that," Misa's voice carried a mix of embarrassment and contentment, pleased to be praised by her captain.

"I’m having a few ideas on how to solve—"

"WHO ARE YOU?"

Kanako’s words were cut off abruptly. A terrifying and intimidating voice echoed behind her, that belonged to Hana. So engrossed in her conversation, Kanako had failed to notice when Hana silently positioned herself there.

Reacting immediately, Kanako turned around to make her presence known.

"It's me, the police officer here to assist you regarding your daughter."

"What happened to my daughter? And why are you in her room?" Hana questioned, her voice rising as she called out for her daughter. In her hand was a tightly gripped kitchen knife. "Misa! Misa! Where are you!?"

Kanako looked bewildered. It appeared that Hana had forgotten her visit. The symptoms of her Alzheimer's resurfacing once again. Why was this happening now?

...the disease could be triggered by various factors, including genetics, living environment, psychological issues, or brain injuries....

A thought flashed through Kanako's mind, causing her to startle. She had overlooked a crucial detail. Why was Hana wearing a wool hat in this warm weather? And why hadn't she taken it off since they met? Something wasn't right. Kanako's hand instinctively reached towards Hana's hat, but before she could touch it, Hana let out a piercing scream.

"What have you done to my Misa!?"

Hana's voice dripped with anger. Given her current mental state, it was not the right time for Kanako to examine Hana's head. First, she needed to calm the distressed woman down.

"Hana-san, your daughter is missing. I am a police officer sent here to help you find her."

Kanako lied, but it was the most reasonable explanation she could come up with in the given situation.

"You're lying! The door to the room was locked from the outside before I entered. How could you come in without opening it?"

Kanako fell into a heavy silence, realizing her fatal mistake.

"Who are you? Where have you taken my Misa?" Hana shouted again.

"Please, calm down. I am truly a police officer," Kanako attempted to speak gently, but her reasoning alone was no longer sufficient to convince Hana.

In an instant, the blind woman raised the knife in her hand and slashed down at Kanako, her aggression catching Kanako off guard. But she managed to leap to the left, from Hana’s perspective, narrowly avoided the attack.

However, Hana's assault did not cease. Her movements and knife-wielding skills were unexpectedly agile and proficient. Before the blade could make contact with the desk’s surface, it was deftly turned around, executing a horizontal slash aimed at Kanako's position.

The strike was lightning-fast, forcing Kanako to quickly stomp her foot and execute a sudden backward leap. As a result, her back collided forcefully against the closet.

The impact was strong, it created a loud noise that revealed Kanako's position to Hana. However, with this increased distance between them, Kanako now felt confident that she had the space necessary to safely restrain the agitated woman.

 

INTRUDER!

 

Out of nowhere, a voice of unknown echoed in Kanako’s mind. Then, something emerged from inside the closet, immediately enveloping and constricting Kanako’s neck.

“Arg—.”

Kanako was strangled by an immensely powerful force. She desperately tried to remove the unknown substance that clung to her neck. Its texture was muddy, sticky, and rubber-like. Kanako couldn't visualize what it was; it didn't even give her a chance to catch a glimpse of it. The force applied to her neck intensified with each passing second, making it increasingly difficult for Kanako to breathe. She fought with all her might, her arm muscles tensing as she struggled to break free.

At the same time, Hana, knife in hand, surged towards Kanako with an unmistakable killing intent.

 

 

Note:

(1): "Tadaima" and "okaeri" are two commonly used Japanese phrases that are closely connected and often used together. "Tadaima" is an expression used by someone returning home to announce their arrival. It can be translated as "I'm back" or "I'm home." When someone hears "tadaima," they typically respond with "okaeri," which means "welcome back" or "welcome home." "Okaeri" is a way of acknowledging the return of the person and expressing hospitality. Both phrases carry a sense of warmth and familial connection, emphasizing the importance of home and the bonds between family members or those living together.

 

Sorry for the wait, I hope you guys like this chapter. There is still a short portion left before the event reaches its conclusion. Because I don't want to delay any further, I've decided to post it today. The next chapter, which is also the final chapter of this event, I guarantee, will be released next week.

If you enjoy my work, please give it a like or consider supporting me on Kofi. Thank you for reading. Also, feel free to share your thoughts. I would like to hear your opinions about my story.

2