Chapter 6.1: Tick-tock (Part 1)
73 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm back now. Sorry for the wait. In this chapter, I want to try something new; I hope you guys find it interesting.

This is a product of my imagination. Any resemblance to real names, persons, or events is entirely coincidental.

 

I'm walking along a luxurious corridor of the Royal Kingdom Hotel, an exclusive property owned by the biotech conglomerate BiogeneX. From the moment I set foot inside, an incredibly lavish atmosphere immediately impresses me. The floor is adorned with intricate marble patterns, and above are crystal chandeliers shining brightly. The walls are coated in white paint, decorated with paintings of world-renowned figures. Additionally, meticulously carved stone sculptures with various forms can be seen scattered throughout. The spacious area is well-ventilated with a modern air conditioning and filtration system, complemented by a faint aroma of traditional green tea in the air, creating a particularly pleasant ambiance.

I am heading towards a large door guarded by two security guards wearing black suits, their dressing style resembling mine.

"Please present your access card." One of the guards approaches me and speaks, his eyes concealed beneath the dangerous-looking dark glasses.

I reach into my pocket and take out a silver metal card, handing it to him.

After scanning the card with a specialized scanner in his hand, the security guard looks back at me and bows politely.

"Welcome, Mr. Nakano Koji, director of the BlueSky construction company. Please enter." He says, using one hand to hold the door handle while the person on the other side does the same, slowly pushing open the door.

I also bow respectfully back to them before stepping inside. By the way, I would like to correct something. My name is not Nakano Koji, and I have no connection to the construction industry. Actually, I have invested a bit in real estate. My true identity is Okabe Jinpei, a famous journalist with over two million followers on my personal social media page for Tokyo Pulse, which is one of the largest newspapers in the city as well as in Japan.

Perhaps many people would wonder what a journalist like me is doing here. If I were to answer that question, it would probably be "curiosity."

Everything started last night when I received a mysterious email while I was finishing up my work article. Inside were two photos: one contained a note about the location and code of a public locker, and especially the other photo, it captured the contents of the locker, which was... a lot of cash piles, estimated to be over 10 million yen—several times more than my basic salary.

Usually, I am very cautious about opening such emails with unknown origins. Because, I, Okabe Jinpei, am a famous journalist and also the target of many bad guys. It's not that I want to seek enmity with anyone, but my style of work is based on comprehensiveness. Everything I write must be true, and truth always entails duality.

Once I heard about a newly emerging pet rescue organization in Chiba. Their social media page often posted videos of rescuing trapped dogs and cats from perilous situations, with tens of thousands of likes and shares per video. It seemed like a noble and heroic action, but something didn’t add up. Why were there so many animals in distress in Chiba? And how did they always manage to find them just in time? So, I became a bit "curious." During a business trip to Chiba, I took some extra time to follow their tracks. Just in the first week of investigation, my hidden camera had gathered numerous pieces of evidence of the organization's cruelty. They collected abandoned dogs and cats from various places, then trapped them in deserted locations at night and staged videos to make themselves look like heroes.

The article titled "Heroes or Villains? Diving Deep into the Contrasting Facets of a Pet Rescue Organization" was one of my surprising successful works. Few people knew that the original version was four pages long and had been significantly trimmed after I took time to reflect. The article exposed the ugly truth about the organization, but I had decided to take a breakthrough and differentiate myself by also praising them. My argument was that exploiting pets for money and fame was terrible, but without those individuals rescuing those stray animals, they might not survive in today's increasingly harsh environment outdoors. This argument sparked a large debate online, making the article famous.

My writing style provides readers with many new perspectives, but it also earns me numerous haters. Being unexpectedly attacked on the streets or regularly receiving "harmful" messages and emails is nothing new to me. That's why I am always cautious. However, back to the email, what compelled me to open it first place was its irregular title – Morpheus-2.

In Greek mythology, Morpheus was the god of dreams and sleep. He was known as the shapeshifter who could take any human form and appear in dreams. But what does it mean? Why is it called Morpheus-2?

 

I completed my work close to three in the morning. At that time, my mind was still preoccupied with that subject line. I accessed the library's information portal of the newsroom to find relevant details but found nothing. I wondered if this could be someone's prank? Eventually, after a mental struggle, I succumbed to the temptation of that mysterious email and walked to the address in the note. It was a shop located near a subway station, not too far from my office. The locker was electronically locked. I nervously entered each number, then the unlocking sound echoed. Inside... My eyes widened as I saw the money. It was exactly like the photos. But why? And who? What in the world did they want from me? I searched the locker for clues and found a white envelope. It contained a silver metal card and a note with these words: "Today, 3 PM. Under Nakano Koji’s identity. 7th floor, Royal Kingdom Hotel. Shocking news awaits."

 

 

I enter a spacious auditorium where quite a few people are waiting inside. The room is well-lit with modern LED lights overhead. The seats, made of premium wood, go up in rows, each accompanied by a matching shared table extending along the length of the seating section. The entrance, where I stand, is opposite the side of the stage with a huge screen mounted on the wall above. To my left, there is a carpeted staircase leading to higher seating positions. According to the instructions of the guards, I am assigned to a seat at the very top, where I can see the whole room.

In this type of setup, the most important figures would typically be seated closest to the stage. As I walk to my position, I don't miss the opportunity to observe the faces of those attending this special event and spot some notable names. Jessica Kurogane, director of Lenna fashion company; Oyama Hayato, head of AegisTech private military corporation; Endo Seikohan, chairman of ZFC fast-food chain; and especially Mikadani Goushi, one of Japan’s wealthiest men. They all wield great influence in Japan’s economy and politics.

With a smile on my face, I sit down on the cushioned seat. Although I've attended many prominent events, this is the first time I'm in the presence of such high-profile individuals. The excitement courses through me; it feels like I'm participating in a major action movie. I start to take out a new-generation laptop and other work-related items from my backpack. While I am arranging my belongings, a familiar face catches my eyes.

"Hirano Osamu?"

It's an older man with a narrow face and a distinctive expression that always appears displeased. He sits in the adjacent section, one row below me. Osamu is a renowned journalist from the Tokyo Legal newspaper. His writing style stands out for its clear and straightforward arguments.

I wonder why he is here, then I realize that not only Osamu, but four other famous journalists from different newspapers across the country are also present. They all have a different appearance from usual, which only insiders like me can recognize.

The questions begin to dance in my mind. Someone has invested a substantial amount of money to covertly summon well-known journalists to attend this gathering. What secret will unfold before us? And what is their purpose?

A tinge of disappointment washes over me as I acknowledge that I am not the central figure in this intriguing narrative. But it doesn't matter. I see myself as a curious cat allured by a mysterious mouse, a relentless feline stalking its elusive prey. I, Okabe Jinpei, am determined to chase until the very end, bringing everything into the light with absolute truth.

 

 

There are some new names in this chapter, and I understand that introducing too many characters may overwhelm readers. Currently, I have not decided which character in this cast I will invest in for future events, but when it comes, I will reintroduce them again. Don't worry if you don't remember them for now.

Spoiler

This meeting is just a short event to introduce and reveal some plot of the story, not the big one as I've mentioned before. But I think you guys already know what the major event is about.

[collapse]

The next chapter will be posted next week, around Thursday or Friday. Thank you for continuing to support me.

0