Chapter 47
304 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st- Copper

2nd- Silver

3rd- Gold

4th- White Gold

5th- Purple Gold

6th- Platinum

7th- Opal

8th- Diamond

9th- Obsidian

The twins didn't have to worry for long, since after the delegation of the Drenswick family left for Etrida, and not long after the reserve group of the academy arrived.

Luckily the teacher that came was an acquaintance of Regis, an anorexic man with pale skin. His eyes however were sharp and clear, unbefitting of his haggard appearance.

"Thomas! You old coot. How'd they manage to fish you out of your study?" Regis laughed, patting the seemingly frail old man with a heavy hand.

Thomas looked at Regis who was laughing and said in a throaty voice, "I had heard you were seriously injured, and wanted to see which monster had done a service to the world by eliminating you. But unfortunately you're as tenacious as a weed."

Regis laughed even louder, "How could I give you the satisfaction? I've got a long life left to show you just how great I am".

Thomas rolled his eyes, before speaking seriously "Alright, enough pleasantries. We'll rest today, but it's best if we set off sooner rather than later".

Regis saw his seriousness and withdrew his smile, "What's the matter?"

"With the new recruits being sent to the academy, the Emperor wants to show his support, so he sent a few of the royal children to attend" Thomas explained.

Regis thought about the meaning of this. The royal family is usually taught by specialised tutors in the palace. Yet this time they're sending the royal family members, which is definitely unusual. "Could it be his majesty wants the candidates for his heir to get closer to potential talents from the ordinary children recruited?"

Thomas wanted to shake his head, but then froze "I don't think you're totally right, but perhaps that could be a part of it. After all they can meet the noble children at banquets, but these ordinary students are all at least talented enough to become great warriors and magicians in the future. It wouldn't be a loss for them to recruit a few.

However his majesty's movements only appeared after the Drenswicks began mobilising. We don't know what has happened, but it has definitely alerted the nobles".

Regis was aware of the undercurrents in the capital. The noble families have become more and more unable to tolerate each other, leaving only the most superficial peace on the surface. But that peace had already shown sign of cracking. He felt a little worried about what was to come, only hoping that his family, as well as he and Eris wouldn't get caught up in it.

The two old friends looked at each other and began to sort out the groups, merging them into a convoy like the previous one.

Regis told Eris the news, and she showed some worry, but accepted it quickly. She headed towards the area where the girls were living and spread her voice using magic. "Ladies, get some rest tonight. Tomorrow we will set off for the capital. This time may be faster than before, so there will be few days to rest on the remainder of the journey. It's best to be prepared and take the chance to have a good night's sleep".

Isla and Sila heard Eris's voice all the way in their little hidden nook. The two packed all the non essentials into their storage rings, leaving only the bed and tent. The two laid down, holding each other.

After recklessly confessing in the beast tide, Isla had felt a little awkward at first, but soon the two became closer. Sila would kiss her when they were alone. Treating it like a game, trying to catch Isla off guard. Whenever she succeeded she would let out a victorious smirk, which made Isla want to pinch that proud face of hers.

The two however knew to keep their affection only to each other. Not that they cared whether others found out, but just to avoid any unnecessary trouble. If they really cared they wouldn't have kissed openly in the battlefield outside the city. It was just that everyone else was too preoccupied to notice such a strange occurrence.

Now Isla was laying in Sila's arms, her hair being twirled between Sila's fingers. The two of them looked out at the sun that had started to set. Leaving a deep orange hue across the sky.

Isla suddenly spoke, "The capital is going to be more dangerous then expected".

Sila continued twirling Isla's hair, "I know".

"Worried?" Isla asked.

Sila smiled, "No. Let fate take its course. Even if it leads us down a bad path, I know I'll still be there beside you, as always".

Isla felt a bitter-sweet joy in her heart. The two had some suspicions as to whether they were the cause of the movement from the noble family. If they were, then their original idea would come to naught. And instead they'd be at the mercy of those nobles. But hearing Sila's words made her wavering heart settle.

'Sila's right. Whatever happens, at least we're together' Isla thought contentedly.

She turned over and buried her head on Sila's shoulder. The two didn't speak further, no words were needed. Now was the time for them to enjoy each other's company, without any distractions, without any worries.

The night passed by quickly, and the sun returned, shining a light over the city of Arqin. A bell sounded in the mansion, waking those who were happily dreaming.

The groans came from many rooms, people started opening doors, coming out sloppily. Seeing the barely lit morning sky, they groaned even more.

The twins woke with the bell, but the two were well rested. Seeing that this was around the time they usually awoke, Isla and Sila prepared as they did every other morning.

Washing their faces with water from the well nearby, then eating a simple breakfast that had been packed into the storage rings.

Taking down the tent, putting it away and heading towards the entrance of the mansion, the two chatted peacefully. Following the group of girls that were already in front of them. They ignored the sights that fell on them every so often. After all, as warriors they managed to survive the beast tide; which brought them some unwanted attention. And of course some slander from a certain girl from Rusvil. 

26