Chapter 53
271 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the Holy church always a lingering trouble, the two noble families wouldn't commit to a war where both sides lose in the end.

The current Emperor of the royal family is an ambitious person. In his lifetime he wishes to see the end of the Drenswick family. But he is not brainless, the church waits in the dark, watching there every move. Obviously the two sides will get rid of all parties that would impede their decisive battle. But the church although weaker, still holds its own strength.

Two Obsidian ranks. One a healer, and the other, a paladin. The healer placed behind a large army is a disaster for anyone facing them, while the paladin is blessed with abominable strength akin to a warrior, but has access to self healing to make them even more terrible an opponent to face.

Headed by a Pope with great cunning and a power of the diamond rank, each archbishop below him is as powerful. So the church stands as the third great power of the empire. One that the nobles wish to eradicate over each other.

There are other powers, belonging to the elves, the dwarves and the beast kin. But they are far from as strong as their peaks. Only the leader of each belonging to the Obsidian rank.

Isla was sitting on the bed reading the division of power in the Empire. What surprised her was just how large the empire truly was. Her and Sila were born in a fringe village far in the east where magic was less than scarce. 

Farther east were mountain ranges that bordered the ocean. None of which the twins had ever known. In their childhood, no one had ever travelled that way, nor had anyone come from that direction, which just led the girls to believing it was a barren area. But it seems that beyond those mountains is an ocean vast and dangerous. 

To the west is the opposite. It's where magic is extremely abundant. It is also the territory of the holy church. The cities toward the west as they get further away from the capital, become more xenophobic. The holy church is extremely cruel towards non human races. Where any beast, elf, dwarf or otherwise will be enslaved if found. 

Southwards is the territory of all the non human species. The dwarves made their home in the mountains, while the elves have relegated themselves to the forests. The beast kin take to the various areas in between, trying to come to a peaceful cohabitation with the other races. The least amount of humans are in the south. 

And finally the north. The area north borders another country, which makes it a area that is often in conflict. The duke of the north holds the border fiefdom, so she is the first line of defence from the foreign country. 

The Drenswick fiefdom is in the south, a peaceful area that rarely sees any trouble. With so many millennia of accumulation, naturally the family has thrived and grown exponentially. 

The amount of people with the blood of the Drenswick family could create an army alone, but only the most talented are worthy of limitless resources to train them. So while the last name Drenswick isn't uncommon, only the ones that can bear the amulet belonging to the main line of the Drenswick's are to be feared. 

Reading through these historical notes made Isla fascinated. She was so focused that she hadn't even noticed that Sila had returned. 

Sila put down the meals she had just brought from the cafeteria, and walked over to Isla. She very much enjoyed seeing her sister's focused gaze. Sila found it very attractive. 

She carefully sat behind Isla on the bed, gently wrapping her arms around Isla's waist, and resting her chin on Isla's shoulder. 

Isla finally came back to her senses, feeling the familiar body behind her she smirked, "When did you come back?" 

Sila replied lazily "A few minutes ago. I was too enchanted by the view to want to disturb you. But if you don't eat breakfast, it's going to get cold". 

Isla noticed that it was almost reaching the time for class, so she quickly got up to eat, not forgetting to slander "Why didn't you remind me earlier? We're probably going to be late". 

Sila wanted to roll her eyes, but said coaxingly "Yes, yes. It's my fault, next time I'll make sure to remind you. But ever since you found out about the library, you've been taking out books everyday. 

Classes only started a couple days ago, but you still go like once a day". 

Isla couldn't help but defend herself, "Isn't it because I want to learn as much as I can about the empire, so that you and I can make a better plan for the future?" 

Sila could only helplessly agree to Isla's excuse. Even if ske knew that Isla was just interested in reading these books, but if her sister said it was for their future, then she could only parrot Isla's words. 

The classes for their group consisted mainly of magic or aura training. And understanding of the intricacies of each. 

Because some of the group hadn't reached the level of Isla, Sila and Amber, multiple teachers came to teach them for their level. 

The three Purple ranks were taken by a seemingly mature woman. However the way she spoke was quite the opposite. 

"Alright girls, let's see what you've got. There's a practice dummy over there. I want you to give it your best shot, alright?" Mirabelle said with a smile on her face.

Amber chose to go up first, not bothering to look at the twins. She stood next to Mirabelle, facing towards the dummy. A complicated dragon shaped staff appeared in her hand. The orb held inbetween the teeth of the dragons mouth was a dazzling blue. 

Amber stood there, whispering the recitation of a spell, her eyes began to glow and radiate electricity. 

Her hands soon followed suit, sending sparks along the entirety of the dragon staff. Finally when the crackling lightning could be seen rushing around the orb, she thrust the  head of the staff towards the practice dummy. 

A devastating array of lightning bolts shot forth from the staff, speeding towards the dummy. The group that could still see the three in the distance half expected the dummy to explode on impact, but when the lightning hit it, it only wrapped around the dummy, making a noticeable buzzing sound. 

The only way that everyone knew that the lightning was damaging the dummy was the burn marks that began to appear on the surface.

Amber was the most surprised by the outcome. This spell had all but annihilated monsters of the purple gold rank that she had managed to kill on the way here, but now this dummy has high enough durability so as to negate the destructive power. 

24