Chapter 73 – No Matter What
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was getting darker and colder. Bastet had escaped and I was quite upset. My father came up next to me. “I wasn’t expecting that,” he replied.

“She set it up, how?” I asked.

“Probably an access road nearby they would take to get here or there was another rendezvous and one of the other Apostates sent the owl,” my father said. I let out a long sigh in frustration as the cold wind and snow swirled around us.

‘Avatar,’ I called on Mes who appeared wearing a parka as well. They still had the eyepatch. ‘Any help point out where Bastet went?’ I asked.

Hmm.’ Mes turned around and looked about and the pointedly looked in one direction.

“I know where she went, follow me,” I told my father.

“Mittens, it is getting cold and dark. If we don’t head back now we can get lost,” my father replied.

“I know, but I can track her, even in this.” He gave me a look.

“We could freeze to death,” he countered.

“We need to get her. If you don’t want to follow then, don’t,” I told him.

“I won’t leave you Mittens. If you are sure, I am with you. But this is a big risk. Our tracks back will be covered and the snow is getting higher.”

“I know, trust me,” I said and set off. Mes kept staring in specific directions and giving the occasional cough as we descended the mountain back into the forest. While I could kind of see in the darkness, the cloud cover and the snow weren’t helping.

Racing through the snowy forest, we soon came across a dirt road and more tracks leading up it. They weren’t that old. My father gave me an impressed nod as I continued to follow Mes’ hints up the road into the forest.

There was a lumber yard set up. It was shut down at the moment, but one building had lights turned on. I moved behind some trees and looked over the location. “I don’t see that owl, you?” I quietly asked my father. He shook his head.

“They regrouped here. It must be their base. Owl is probably inside somewhere, and not out in this cold,” my father suggested. I wasn’t so sure and shook my head.

“Maybe another night. But Bastet isn’t one to take chances and get caught. She would insist on a watch being kept. Also, that building is small. Not good for a fight,” I said quietly. We both kept scanning the lumberyard which was shut down during the winter.

After five minutes, we spotted nothing, and it was getting colder. “We either need to fall back for support or move in,” my father said, and I nodded at this. The cold was getting a bit too much even with our parkas and standing still.

“I will go right in through the front door. You keep watch outside and take out anyone that tries to escape or that owl. I don’t see a vehicle, they could get away with,” I said.

“They probably thought they would keep that truck. This is probably an emergency fall back point,” my father said. “I am ready. Stay safe Mittens,” my father said.

“You too father,” I told him and then I rushed forward across the open portion of the lumberyard to the small building that was illuminated in the snowy night. Probably an administrative building.

I considered the door or one of the windows as I rushed forward. The door could be trapped. My father was rushing to my right to move around the building. A flanking maneuver. The windows were frosted over, but they were less likely to be trapped. I would have to commit to attacking.

Leaping forward, I put my arms in front of my head. They smashed through a window with a crash and flying glass shard. I landed on a wood floor, quickly coming up to my feet.

“Assassin!” A shout came out from a nearby rat. I was in the kitchen area. Two Apostates had been eating a meal at a small table. I was already coming up to my hindpaws after crashing through the window. My claws slashed out, as I kept moving forward. One of the Apostates collapsed to the ground, bleeding out.

The other Apostate, a fox, quickly tried to back away. I was already moving, as he tried to pull out a sword from his side. My left paw slammed down on his arm, forcing the sword back in its sheathe. My other paw lashed out. My claws dug into the fox’s neck. She collapsed to the floor with a death gurgle.

Racing into the next room, there was a lounge area. Bastet and another Apostate were there, on their feet and both of them looked quite tired. I noted the other Apostate was the cat Faststrike. “How?” Bastet said with a sigh. I quickly shrugged off my parka for the upcoming fight. I would need all the movement I could get against an opponent of this caliber.

“I am Mittens. And you are both dead creatures,” I replied as I advanced on them.

“You should be honored Mittens. I haven’t gone all out in a long time. Secure our exit, look out for the other one,” Bastet said. Faststrike quickly rushed off through another door towards the back of the building. I didn’t rush after him. My father could handle him. I needed to beat High Apostate Bastet.

Bastet stepped forward as well. The tension rose as we both judged the other. We were both tired and exhausted after such a long day and chase. Well I was younger and I had Mes on my side. I had noted Mes had disappeared. Something to think about later.

I stepped forward, my paws raised up, and ready to strike. This was going to be a hard fight. Bastet adopted a stance and advanced forward as well. I stepped forward and slashed out with my right paw. Bastet went for my arm. I pulled it back.

Sensing an immense amount of danger I twisted to the side as Bastet swung her head from left to right. A stream of poison shot out. I dropped into a roll and went around her as she adjusted her aim to try and hit me. The stream of poison began melting the wooden floor and furniture. It emitted a putrid smell. My skill was already reacting to the poison in the air.

This was why she kept escaping, well this trick wouldn’t work on me. I rushed forward and Bastet quickly backed up. I kept up the pressure and kept an eye on what was behind her. She bumped into a small table. I lunged forward.

Bastet flipped backwards over the table and swiped out. I was forced to abort my lunge and instead slid under the table. My legs tried to sweep hers, but she leapt to the side and rolled back up to her feet as I came up to fine.

I moved forward again keeping up the pressure, forcing her back. I kept increasing the tempo, ramping up the pressure. Bastet was struggling to keep up with me while backing up. I lunged as a feint, but she swiped out. I moved back in and slashed out at her arm.

“Harden!” My claws barely dug into her arm, leaving only surface wounds. Bastet swiped out at me, and I was forced back. She let out a hiss at me. I gave her a grin as I raced forward again. I could tell she was getting more desperate.

“Sleeeeep,” Bastet hissed out at a moment our eyes made contact. My eye lids grew heavy and it was difficult to stay on my feet. I quickly backed up and swiped out with one paw to keep Bastet back while using my other paw to slap my face. My claws dug in a bit and the pain woke me up.

Bastet had turned and was rushing for the front door. She opened it to the outside and raced outside into the snow. I was right behind here. Suddenly my father appeared in front of her. She came to a stop and looked back at me.

She let out a long sigh. “Is he dead?” she asked my father.

“And your owl,” my father replied. I felt a pang of regret I wasn’t the one to kill Faststrike.

“Whitewing is never my owl. A truly brave creature. Very well, I am going all out, this ends here. Jörmungandr empower your servant and consume these creatures. By the pact of blood, aid me now.” My father and I rushed forward but Bastet retreated to the side.

Moments later I felt a massive amount of danger. A massive snake formed up. Compared to the previous snakes, they were babies. This one was at least 300 feet or 100 meters long, towering over all the nearby buildings.

“Mittens! I will distract it. Watch out for the tail!” my father shouted out and was already moving. The massive snake blinked. I could barely make out its head. My danger sense peaked and I moved. The snake head slammed downwards. It was impossibly fast for something so large.

The ground shook as an explosion of snow and ice erupted from the impact point. I quickly reversed direction, and leapt at the snake’s head. A massive eye focused on me. My entire body froze up, unable to even twitch, and I crashed into the ground.

The massive head then spun towards me. I knew if I was swallowed by a snake this size, then there was no chance I would live. The snake suddenly jerked backwards as my father slashed its snoot with his claws.

I could move again. I flipped up to my hind paws. A massive long tail suddenly came out of the darkness heading right for me. I kicked off the ground. My front paws stretching out. My claws dug into the scales, black smoke coming out from around them. I flipped and on top of the massive tail as it came smashing down.

The building we had been in was turned into kindling. My claws my from hind paws extended and I rushed up the snake. It suddenly began to turn over, and I adjust my course to move to the side so I wouldn’t be crushed as the Snake Ancestral Spirit spun about.

My front claws dug in and I began climbing up the snake towards its massive head. Tiny bits of black smoke poured out from the wounds. It suddenly twisted and its head spun around towards me impossibly fast. Its massive tongue, which was bigger than me shot out.

Kicking off the snake, I leapt away from the snake’s back as the tongue missed me. I plummeted for the ground as the head readjusted along with the tail. The tail came flicking upwards. I twisted my body and braced for the impact. It slammed into me and sent me flying away through the air.

Spinning myself around, I looked at where I would land. Several trees were coming up fast. I adjusted my body, as I slammed through the branches. My claws slowing me down. Splinters and shattered wood were flying everywhere along with snow. I hit a tree trunk, coming to a stop. Nothing was broken thankfully, but that had been a hard hit. I dropped to the ground and raced back towards the fight.

The massive Snake Ancestral Spirit was smashing apart a building. No doubt, trying to kill my father. I tried to sneak up on it, but it instantly noticed me even though it hadn’t been looking in my direction. Its tail came swinging out. I rolled into a small ditch as it swept over me, covering me with snow. I shivered.

If the snake didn’t kill us, the cold would. But Bastet was not winning, no matter what. Climbing out of the ditch, I dove to the side as the massive tail came slamming down.

***-***

Thanks for reading! My writing isn't possible without your support. Please follow, favorite, and leave a review if you like this story. If you want to read ahead and support my writing, there are 15+ chapters of this story on my Patreon plus other stories. You are also welcome to come hang on Discord as well.

0