Chapter 78 – The Mission
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The biggest challenge is their position. It is high up, as an attendant to Slither, a mid-rank snake, but one of the more active ones. Snakes are very territorial, so they often leave things to a manager. Getting one in place has been the work of decades, since creatures that are placed in such a position are raised from birth and hypnotized constantly.”

“I won’t get into the methods we used, but they were complex, and it was one of my first major successes. Now it is time to cash in. The creature wants out, but the slave soldiers won’t just go along with them escaping and we have to work on their timetable.” Paladin Amberheart let out a soft sigh at this.

“Sending information is very difficult and risky with how closely attendants are watched. The brainwashing that goes on is immense. Replacing a child with one of our own, skilled infiltration that managed to survive and not get eaten was huge. Now they want to come home and the information they have is incredibly valuable apparently.”

I carefully listened as Paladin Amberheart explained things to me. “So where do I come in?” I asked.

“We can only plan for so much. The point of contact I am using to relay messages will go in, you will accompany him, and then engage in combat as needed to get our spy out no matter what.”

“It will be a fight then?”

“The hope is that it won’t be, but it will probably devolve to that,” he explained.

“And you can’t send a Paladin because?” I asked.

“A snake would act if a Paladin acted personally. If that occurs the mission is all but lost. There are cats in the various territories controlled by the snakes. You would pose as an Apostate. A disciple of Bastet. Slither, is in a different faction than the one Bastet is in, but that is fine. Apostates are like higher ranked attendants. You will get a robe and a talisman to wear as well,” he explained.

“Really, release stuff back into the wild? No, that makes sense, it will sell the deception. Then it all comes down to this contact?” I asked.

“I considered going myself, but unfortunately, I am of better service to the Covenant Church managing the spy network against the snakes,” Paladin Amberheart said serenely.

“You are a Paladin though?” I asked.

“Yes, but I serve in a different way now. Fighting the snakes with deceit rather than a battle axe. It is much harder, but much more fulfilling in certain ways.”

“So how far am I going inland?” I asked.

“That is where things take a more complicated turn. Slither’s territory is deep in the continent. The younger snakes tend to get pushed to the outside, while the older snakes keep more towards the center around their capital.”

“Slither is not there, which would be a death sentence, but he is four days inland. So quite a hike. Normally someone on our end adept in meeting the contact and staying out of sight goes that deep. Gets the passed along message and gets out.”

“Not the best system, I will admit, but the two hand offs are necessary. Trying to get around that, isn’t simple, since there is a complicated social structure among the slaves serving the snakes.”

“And I would cut through that as a messenger?” I asked.

“Yes. So, the plan is we leave here tomorrow on my transport. We will stop in Highwater Bastion, since any incursions need to be known, in case the snakes move to counterattack.”

“And if the snakes have a spy?” I asked.

“This is a senior staff meeting. It happens all the time and there have been no issues. Nothing is written down. But it is important we monitor the snakes’ movements and actions as closely as possible, so our strategists are aware after mistakes in the past.”

“There is an emergency fall back route to Highwater Bastion, if you can’t make it to the rendezvous in time. Our window is very tight.”

“You mean pick up and drop off?” I asked.

“Yes, we have a blockade around the continent for the most part. But the snakes also have their forces patrol the coast. There is a breach in their monitoring at precise times, based on arrangements I have made.”

“We can’t let the snakes get any boats. It is one of our biggest priorities. That is how they slip past our blockade. Also, sometimes an elder snake lays in wait, trying to capture one. That is why we can’t stay near the coast either.” Paladin Amberheart shook his head at his statement.

“And if I miss this window, then it is a trek back to Highwater Bastion?” I asked.

“Most likely yes. Slither’s territory isn’t that far from Highwater Bastion, so it isn’t that far a distance. The hard part will be getting through the battle lines if that happens. That is also why we are meeting with the senior staff before this mission happens.” That made sense. Better to be able to confirm my identity and mission, right away without too much hassle.

“What about where this spy or attendant is at?”

“That is why I am getting you. There will be a lot of adaptation required for this mission. Also fighting. I considered sending in additional support, but the risk is just too high. Mice aren’t common and a cat stands out less on the southern continent.”

“What kind of opposition? Apostates or snakes?” I asked.

“Doubtful on the Apostates. The real risk is Slither.”

“If I can kill him, her-?”

“Him.”

“-then should I take the opportunity?” I asked. Paladin Amberheart went still at that question and considered it carefully.

“It is doubtful you can hill him, but that I leave up to you. I don’t plan to micromanage you through this mission. While I am in charge, you will be out there. The most important thing is the information the spy has. We cannot lose that information, no matter what,” he explained.

“Just the mobilization?” I asked.

“That and the plans of an elder snake. There are only three of them, but each posses immense powers. They rarely move, but when they do, our side always suffers. If we can get ahead of them for once, and kill one, it would destabilize the snakes internal governing quite badly.”

“Since there would be only two elder snakes and the vote would be split if they disagreed?” I asked.

“Yes. It is a simple method of power sharing, but it works for them. Also, other snakes will fight for the chance to rise up. It is a core weakness, but killing an elder snake is near impossible. Once they call on their Ancestral Spirit, they are invincible and can keep it up for a long time.”

“About as big as the one I fought?” I asked.

“About that. They are huge as well. Getting any information about any of them is tricky. But our spy managed to get some critical information. They want to come home in exchange for it, so here we are.” It was mind boggling to think that the Covenant Church trained up children to attempt to infiltrate the snakes’ slave ranks.

But it clearly had worked, or I would be listening to this. “The contact and after Highwater Bastion, how will that work?” I asked.

“We will take a ship, and then you will land with a motorboat. The contact, will meet you a fox by the name of Firefur. You will work with them, and it is up to you. You can call off the mission and retreat, but this is something I have invested decades into.”

I nodded at that. Basically, if I failed, I needed a good reason behind the failure. Success needed no explanation. Failure did not have one that mattered. That was truer than ever on this upcoming mission.

“The motorboat, someone will take it back?” I asked.

“Yes. While the snakes wouldn’t be able to use it themselves, the Apostates will find a way to cross on their own. A small boat is a huge risk. Trying to contain the fighting to the Southern Continent has been a big challenge. Your Organization does good work at killing the Apostates and creatures that slip through the blockade.”

“Thanks. I see you have maps,” I gestured and Paladin Amberheart laid out one before me.

“The roads are mostly dirt, but we have had years to analyze the snakes’ continent. You will head in from the West coast. From around this isolated bit of shoreline through some grassland, veering North. Through a small bit of desert and that is where Slither’s man base of operations is. Highwater Bastion is further North, all the way here.”

“So, four days in, and twenty days going the long way,” I said while considering all my options and memorizing the maps. “Anything special I need to do to blend in?” I asked.

“No. If you are called in front of an actual snake, the disguise won’t hold up. They can see through it easily enough and that you don’t follow the their ancestral spirit. Only a High Apostate would be able to tell your fake as well, but it is unlikely you will run into one.”

“Anything taboo?” I asked.

“Don’t insult the snakes or compliment the Covenant Church. Your position should give more than enough authority to act as you see fit.” That was obvious advice, but it was still solid. “You can kill any creature you deem a threat. The mission objective is far more critical.”

“Any other fallback routes? Just having two, is rough.”

“No. We only have one place we control on the Southern continent, Highwater Bastion. The rest is all controlled by the snakes. We keep trying to push out, but one attack by an elder snake, we are pushed back to our city walls.”

“What about capturing a boat or something similar?” I asked.

“If you can, go for it. Again, the information is the most critical, not our spy. Even if the spy is dead. As long as we get the information back from her, feel free to rescue or kill her. The most important part is the information. We have to get that, the chance of ambushing an elder snake would be quite useful.”

“Alright, I will keep that in mind. Anything else?” I asked.

“No, but I may ask later.”

“That is fine.”

0