Chapter 80 – Highwater Bastion
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several badgers and mice in armor and uniforms sat in a large sealed off conference room in one of the buildings while Paladin Amberheart laid out his plan. I was getting several looks, but no one said anything. I noted one of the mice was dressed as High Cleric and one of the Badgers who was in charge, his fur was almost completely white.

“That concludes the operational plan,” Paladin Amberheart finished explaining. There was silence.

“High Cleric Samuel, what do you think?” the white badger asked.

“It is possible, but Paladin Amberheart has our trust in his actions. The major issue is releasing a stealth ship to his purview, but that is something that can be worked around. My main concern lies with the cat. Paladin Amberheart, why have you not selected the Warrior’s Shadow for such a delicate mission?” All the heads swiveled from the High Cleric to the Paladin.

“Assassin Mittens is highly capable. You have her file. Her recent accomplishment in killing High Apostate Bastet is what convinced me. Her capabilities are not in question, and she is highly adaptable. She has my complete faith in this operation, otherwise I wouldn’t have chosen her,” Paladin Amberheart said. I felt glad he supported me like this.

I knew there was an undercurrent of politics going on, that I was missing as well as history, but Paladin Amerheart had made it clear we were on the same team. It felt odd for the Covenant Church’s spymaster to be so supportive. I felt there would have been a lot more sneaking and snide comments.

High Cleric Samuel spoke again. “It is your decision Paladin Amberheart and I will leave it in your paws. Are there any more objections or questions?” No one spoke up. “Then this closed meeting is concluded. Nothing spoke here is to be spoken outside this chamber.” The High Cleric got up and everyone else rose up as well as he left.

Paladin Amberheart gestured for me to follow, and I left the room with him. “That was surprisingly easy,” I commented.

“There was a big reorganization about three decades ago when Highwater Bastion was almost lost, and the wall breached. Politics has been purged from this city. While the High Clerics might argue, there is no question as to the chain of command here. That is why you assassins have military ranks,” he explained.

“And the question about my fitness?” I asked.

“High Cleric Samuel wanted to silence doubts about you ahead of time. I also have enough successes under my belt, that I get to pick the creatures I want to assist me. I wanted the best, and I got you,” Paladin Amberheart explained.

It felt weird for him to say that, but I appreciated it quite a bit. I felt heat rise up to my face. I didn’t know how to respond.

“You feel ready? This will be the last chance to get any supplies?” he asked me.

“I am all set. A week to get to the drop off point. Lots of traveling,” I replied since it had taken two weeks to cross the ocean. I had been stretching quite a bit in order to improve my flexibility. I could feel myself slowly making progress once more after I had slowed down during my time as an applicant.

We made our way back to the battleship Night Blade. Paladin Amberheart invited me to the executive conference room. Now was the time for the more in-depth discussion on this mission. It didn’t escape my notice, that he didn’t mention what snake we were targeting specifically in the briefing or our exact landing points. Just a broad overview of the general plan.

“First the confirmation code for extraction,” Paladin Amberheart pulled out a case stored in a cabinet in his room and unlocked it. He then pulled out an envelope. “This code was written by the individual in question before they were sent to infiltrate the enemy forces.” He ripped open the envelope.

“Really? They will remember that long?” I asked.

“Yes. If they don’t, then consider them hostile.” He pushed the paper towards me. It read, ‘Snakes are stupid.’

“Why that pass phrase?” I asked.

“Anti-hypnosis training. If they are brainwashed by the snakes, they won’t be able to insult them. It will help us confirm if they are compromised. While the information they have been sending has had a confirmation percentage of 87%, snakes will play the long game.”

“Now you have me interested. There has to be a story there?” I asked.

“An Apostate started a family, trained up their children, and then their children in secret. These shrews applied to the military and other important positions. It was only discovered thanks to an intercepted message. Over 60 years of work and effort. That was what I would consider a minor attempt to create a long con. It was a mess.”

“One of the better attempts by the snakes, was when they smuggled a snake egg over to be hatched and raised in secret.”

“What, they actually tried that?” I asked in surprise.

“Indeed. They have turned spies we have used in the past to feed us disinformation. The snakes are quite intelligent and clever. Comes from their long life and their constant infighting. It actually succeeded for a time as well. But we have hemmed them in on their continent. The Great Lizard Kingdom is content to wait on the sidelines, believing neither side will win as we grind each other down,” I could understand all this maneuvering but I was much better at fighting.

I had been hoping that I would be challenged in that meeting and not just let go. It was a bit disappointing, but I realized how fight hungry I was becoming. It wasn’t blood rage, but it was something else and probably being stuck on a ship for so long.

“Snakes are stupid, got it,” I replied, repeating the pass phrase.

“It will help, but this being an elaborate trap is possible. They recorded that as a kid before they were sent on their assignment. You will be on your own. The information on the snakes’ long term mobilization plans are important.”

“And if it is a trap and there is no information?” I asked.

“Then use your best judgement. But you will need to fight quite well to get out of there. That’s is it Assassin Mittens. Unless you have another question?”

“No, Paladin Amberheart, thank you for explaining everything.”

“Good, just one last thing. This was prepared for you.” He pulled out another briefcase and unlocked it. Inside there were Apostate robes along with an intact snake talisman. “It has been resized for you. I don’t need to remind you, to not call on that talisman no matter what.”

I picked it up. It looked like all the others that I had seen. “I won’t. I know the safety procedures for these things.”

“It will also alert nearby snakes and other Apostates. They might demand you use it to identify yourself. Also here is your legend if questioned. You shouldn’t need to use it.” He handed over a small folder with a single piece of paper inside it. I looked it over. I would be an Apostate that was carrying a message from the capital.

“It is a bit risky, but Apostates are used like this. Normally we wouldn’t claim a message from their capital, but the attendant you need to reach is high up. This will ensure that you reach them. Now for the most critical part. The attendant you are looking to speak to is Shortnose the rat.”

“So, I meet with Firefur the fox, who will arrange for a meet up with Shortnose?” I asked. “Then why the message plan?”

“Just in case. Firefur is to assist you in any way. But his position is complicated. He is part of one of many insurgent groups on the southern continent. They normally don’t do much except feed the snakes, but he isn’t a direct subordinate either. He could also be a plant by the snakes as well. That’s why you can’t reveal you are getting Shortnose out of there.”

“And what should I say?” I asked.

“Only that you looking to retrieve information personally. Be aware if he tries to lead you into a trap.”

“This sounds less and less like it will work,” I said while narrowing my eyes at Paladin Amberheart.

“Precautions and just in case scenarios Assassin Mittens. Do I think most of these warnings are necessary or helpful, no. But if there is a trap or an ambush, then doing everything we can to mitigate the risk is important.” I let out a sigh.

“I understand,” I told him.

“Good. I need to see to the finale arrangements and our departure. The documents can’t leave my room. And keep the robe and talisman hidden until you are departing on the stealth ship or ashore.”

“What about Firefure? Should I wear the robes in their presence?” I asked.

“The meeting is prearranged. If they aren’t there, then they are dead or captured. As for the robes, that is up to you. I am not about to micromanage you on this mission.”

“Alright, I will figure it out.” I left and returned to my cabin. I looked over at my pack. I had taken Mes’ stone with me with. It was tempting to call on them for advice, but Paladin Amberheart was nearby and might sense something.

I didn’t want to take the risk. Well, I had the names of the creature I needed to retrieve. All that was left was doing it. While I was sure things would go wrong, I would just kill creatures until I reached my target.

Thinking about the situation, I could even send the target back and remain behind. It was the perfect opportunity to kill creatures to get EXP. Become a one cat murder machine on the snake continent. I had seen the maps of the various snake domains and knew which snakes were the younger ones.

It would be a chance to quickly increase my power. I could spend a couple of months fighting creatures and snakes, and then return to Highwater Bastion, or escape on my own. It would burn some bridges with the Covenant Church, so I was hesitant to do something like that.

The meeting at the Highwater Bastion and High Cleric Samuel, made it clear they didn’t want people going rouge. It could stir up the snakes and make them act unpredictably. It was clear that both sides had taken a wait and see approach. The Covenant Church wanted the war to happen on their terms.

Stirring up the snakes would disrupt that or make them take other actions. If I messed up the Covenant Church’s plans, it would make a lot of creatures very unhappy. Best just to complete the mission as quickly and efficiently as possible. If a lot of creatures happened to die, or a snake or two, then I am sure there would be no complaints.

1