Chapter 14: A Lesson in Planning Ahead
523 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“For a friend with an understanding heart is worth no less than a brother”— Homer, "The Odyssey"

 

Noramori rushed through the halls. Of all the days to be late to class, she just had to pick this one. She didn't think she would be able to hold up under the scrutiny of the entire class.

 

It wasn't like she was learning anything that she couldn't learn on her own, at least not yet. There were some broadly focused classes on the life and skills of shinobi and a heavy focus on the history and politics of the Shinobi world, but classes on practical skills and knowledge were still pretty limited.

 

Noramori turned a corner while running, going so fast that her feet skidded out from under her. Before hitting the ground she rotated her body and kicked off the wall vaulting forward down the hallway as she approached her classroom. Sliding to a stop outside the door she took a moment to breathe before entering the room. Plastering a beaming smile on her face she slid the door open and was greeted by a scene that she struggled not to laugh at.

 

Naruto and Sasuke were forehead to forehead screaming obscenities at each other and their poor Chunin teacher, Tanaka, struggled to calm the two screaming boys down.

 

"Hey, you two!" Tanaka was using his serious voice, "Calm down, whatever this is isn't serious enough to come to blows over. You are both Shinobi of the Hidden Leaf. Show a little camaraderie."

 

Noramori smirked at their teacher. Tanaka Kazuki was a patient man, possibly too patient. He let the kids walk all over him. It wasn't like he couldn't wipe the floor with everyone here. He just chose not to. He believed in allowing his students to flourish and considered the act of stifling their development a grave crime. He was a sweet man, full of wisdom, compassion, and understanding. Noramori just suspected that he was a  better team leader than he was a teacher of children. Children had a nasty way of being viciously innocent. They didn't know what they should and shouldn't do, they simply did and learned lessons after the fact.

 

"Hah, you think you stand a chance against me, Naruto?" Sasuke shouted into Naruto's face

 

"Yeah, I do! Being a ninja isn't just about fancy stuff, shit for brains!" Naruto shouted back

 

Noramori giggled, this was good, it looked like no one was gonna notice her tardiness.

 

'Wow, they are really going at this time.'

 

Tanaka looked exasperated and just about ready to blow a gasket.

 

"Strengths? Like what? Name one. The only thing you are good for is being a clumsy mess," Spit flew from Sasukes mouth but Naruto didn't back down for even a second.

 

"Clumsy? Say that to my face pretty boy! I bet you've never even been in a fight," Naruto yelled back.

 

"I just did, dumbass," Sasuke pushed Naruto but didn't manage to push the other boy even a few inches away.

 

"Who are you calling a dumbass, At least I can go for a walk without my clan breathing down my neck. You are nothing, but a privileged little shit who needs Daddy's permission to do anything!" Naruto tried to push him back locking hands with Sasuke as they pushed each other back and forth while still being forehead to forehead.

 

Noramori started walking toward the pair a smile gracing her face.

 

'I suppose I should help out our poor sensei. Wouldn't want him to have to do anything he might regret later.'

 

"Oh yeah well, at least I have a dad!" Sasuke spoke without thinking.

 

The whole room went silent.

 

Naruto's pupils constricted. Sasuke had gone too far.

 

Tanaka began to rush forward to intervene in the coming violence.

 

Before he even took one step he noticed Noramori looming over the pair like a banshee about to harvest some souls. 

 

A loud slap rang out and Sasuke fell to the ground. 

 

Noramori was standing over him, tears in her eyes.

 

"Sasuke you are better than that," Noramori was on the verge of crying.

 

She didn't like it when people she loved were genuinely cruel to each other. A few insults, a couple of scuffles, and what was a little roughhousing between kids. This was just too much for her. She knew how Naruto felt about being an orphan. He wasn't someone who would openly speak about his longing for a family, but Noramori knew that it was one of the few things that got to him anymore. Noramori could count on one hand the list of people who were genuinely kind to him. Between the Hokage, Tanaka, Sasuke, and Herself, Sasuke was the one that helped Naruto keep trying. Sure Noramori was a wonderful friend and loved Naruto very much, but Sasuke was the one who got him off his ass and helped him to improve by challenging him,'

 

That was why she was so upset. She knew that if anyone else spoke those words  Naruto would just brush it off and pretend like it didn't matter to him. Noramori knew that Naruto would be hard-pressed to keep pretending when Sauke said them. Even if Sasuke saw Naruto as nothing more than an annoyance, Naruto considered Sasuke to be one of his dearest friends and rivals. Naruto would never admit it, but he looked up to the boy even if they were the same age.

 

Sasuke didn't say anything, looking properly scolded and like his brain was finally catching up to his mouth.

 

He looked past his distraught sister and turned his eyes to Naruto.

 

Naruto had on a brave face. His pupils were still constricted and his breathing was heavy. His hands were by his side and his knuckles were white from clenching them into fists.

 

"Naruto, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry," Sasuke jumped up and bowed to the other boy.

 

Sasuke's sense of honor was strong. He knew that he had fucked up and he knew on some level how much his words mattered to Naruto.

 

Naruto shifted his gaze to stare at the ground so no one could look at his eyes.

 

Tanaka was frozen where he stood. Not in indecision, no he was perfectly ready to act. He just wanted to let this play out. Hopefully, it would serve as a lesson in restraint for the young Uchiha boy.

 

Naruto suddenly shot up and burst out laughing.

 

"Look at the look on your face. I can't believe this, the Uchiha's self-righteous little prince bowing before me, " His arms swept toward the class, "See he's acknowledging that I am the stronger of the two of us, believe it!" Naruto was grinning from ear to ear.

 

Noramori wasn't fooled by this act. She could see how his grin didn't reach his eyes. The only thing that let him respond like this was that he was genuinely happy that Sasuke had felt the need to apologize. Most people wouldn't have stopped there. They would have kept screaming and shouting at him until he either ran away or an ANBU operative was forced to come and scare off whoever was screaming at him.

 

Noramor shook her head at the two boys.

 

'That could have been bad,' Tanaka thought to himself as he sighed, 'Thank the Fourth for small favors.'

 

"Alright everyone back to your seats," Tanaka brought the class's attention to him, "It's well past time that we begin. Noramori doesn't think I didn't notice you getting here late, I forgive you in light of the current circumstances, but let's try  not to let it be a habit."

 

'Damn, I was spotted.'

 

"Yes, sensei!" Noramori gave an American military salute and hurried toward the only available seat. Tanaka and the rest of the class gave her a weird look at her odd gesture, but they all simply marked it off as another weird tick of hers.

 

Naruto and Sasuke sat next to each other, a fact that didn't manage to escape Noramori's attention.

 

'I'm glad they are still getting along,' Noramori thought to herself, 'I was worried for a second there. Oh, they are refusing to look at each other, how cute.'

 

As Noramori sat down a voice came from the chair next to her.

 

"Hey Noramori," A girl with long blond hair addressed her, "Glad you got here to break that up. Naruto is so stupid, but that was a bit too much on your brother's part if you ask me."

 

"Hey Ino," Noramori smiled at the other girl, "Yeah I'm glad I got here too. If I hadn't been late maybe this wouldn't have gone this far."

 

"Speaking of which why were you late? You're usually early to class." Ino cocked an eyebrow at her.

 

"Late what are you talking about, you said it yourself, I always get here early," Noramori employed strategy and misdirection in her unshakable truth. 

 

"You literally just said you were late, goofball," Ino grinned at her.

 

"Did I? Hmm I don't remember that. Maybe you were late and that was why you didn't see me before, "

 

"You can be so ridiculous sometimes. Do you even listen to yourself when you talk?"

 

"Shh, Sensei is speaking. If you listen closely you might be able to catch up on what you missed," Noramori's eyes were sparkling as she stared straight ahead and attempted to hide her grin from the other girl.

 

"Pfft, whatever, " Ino shrugged and began listening to their teacher.

 

Despite Noramori's words, her thoughts were as far away from the classroom as they could be.

 

She felt guilty for being glad that the two boys had gotten into an argument. Especially since their argument ended with such harsh words. Even so, all of the anxiety she had been feeling in regard to the questions she would receive for being late and clearly being in a bad mood had melted away with their argument. It was easy to push aside her own emotions and keep them boxed away for another day when other people needed her more. She glanced over at the two boys and caught them both grinning over at her and then looking at each other when they thought no one was watching. When they spotted her looking at them they quickly went back to pretending to be mad at each other.

 

'Those little shits! They planned the whole thing! I'm gonna get them for putting me through that emotional rollercoaster!' Noramori's thoughts were screaming but her heart was full of joy at their antics.

 

It paid to have people who cared enough to defend you when you were;t ready to do it yourself. For all Noramori's words about being independent and not needing help unless she requested it, she was very thankful that they knew her well enough to pull this little ruse. She imagined that Sasuke going too far was real, but it was the intention that counted.

 

'I bet Naruto was laughing because he was thankful that I intervened. It was probably hilarious to him to see their plan result in only Sasuke getting punished.'

 

Grinning to herself Noramori forced herself to listen to Tanaka.

 

"Today we are going to go over some basic Taijutsu theory," Noramori sat up a little straighter as she heard Tanaka's words. "

 

"Please pay attention. Your last weapon in the field is often your own body. When your chakra is flagging and you only have a few Jutsu left a good foundation in Taijutsu can be the only thing that stands between you and failing your mission." Tanaka spoke in a solemn tone. 

 

"Tell me, how many of you have already begun to learn basic Taijutsu?" Tanaka's eyes scanned the calssroom as a smattering of hands went up.

 

He raised an eyebrow at Naruto's raised hand.

 

'Anything that boy knows was probably entirely instinctual and lacked in combat effectiveness,' His eyes trailed over to Noramori and her similarly raised hand, 'Okay maybe it wasn't all bad, I'm sure the Uchiha twins put that poor boy through the grinder.'

 

Other than Naruto none of the non-clan affiliated pupils raised a hand.

 

"Good, Good, I am glad to see that everyone is so dedicated to their training. For everyone that didn't raise their hand, don't be discouraged. Many of you don't have the same advantages that clan shinobi have access to. That is why we are here. To give you the tools you need to become great shinobi," Tanaka gave a warm smile as he looked at each and every kid in his classroom.

 

"As many of you know Taijutsu is the art of fighting hand to hand. There are a plethora of different styles to learn and Taijutsu encompasses some physical techniques outside of just kicking and punching, but for now, I would like to focus on the general style of Konoha. If everyone does good in this course I might even be able to organize some sort of sparring session for the class, " Tanaka threw out the bait that he knew would help his students rise to the challenge. He planned to have them spar either way, but this way he could command their attention and make them feel good when he ultimately rewarded them with their prize. 

 

Noramori's face split into an evil smile as she scanned the room looking at the class.

 

'Just you wait, my prey— err classmates. This will be a wonderful experience for all of us.'

 

Noramori let out a cackle making several classmates and Tanaka himself look at her with concern.

 

'Note to self. Carefully select the matchups I feel bad for whoever goes up against that little monster.'

 

As the rest of the class went on Noramori busied herself with thinking of new and inventive ways to... teach her fellow classmates how to fight hand-to-hand.

 

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Noramori whispered screaming to herself

 

Failing to notice Ino giving her an uneasy glance and the many students that heard her attempting to scoot themselves down their desks away from her, Noramor continued to occasionally cackle to herself as her mind turned to each innovative lesson she would plan for everyone here. 

 

'Yeah I'm definitely gonna need to watch that one...' Tanaka sighed to himself.

 

 

I'd like to give a shout-out to Ultimate_Wold_Bane and their story, Naruto: The Birth Of Fenrir and his Keeper, they are currently (at the time of writing this)  four chapters into their story s and haven't yet transitioned to the Naruto universe, but their dialogue is something that inspires me. They do a wonderful job of describing their character and his backstory/mentality.  I think that their story is going to turn out wonderfully. If you like portal/fantasy in the Naruto universe with an intelligent but damaged protagonist you should go check it out! Love y'all

 

 

 

25