Chapter 35: When a Phoenix cries, a man smiles
27 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tjay was waiting for him outside the Colosseum. Priam moved closer and told the boy to follow him. He had only fifty-four hours left to prepare for his Tribulations. The orphan boy trotted along beside him to keep up with him. They began to talk as they made their way to the ducal palace.

"Hey Tjay. You got any info I need?" asked Priam.

"Of course, Sir. I've found several things that might interest you. The factions keep pouring into this Dome. There are so many powerful people gathered here that the others are forced to come as well. Otherwise, they would miss the party. Which brings me to some good news," the orphan continued.

Priam nodded and told him to continue.

"First, the Phoenix Clan is selling a Phoenix Tear for Baron Cores or other rare items," Tjay revealed. "It is diluted thousands of times but can instantly regenerate a Tier 0's body. I identified the tear - they keep it in a room in their fortified hotel, but it can be admired in exchange for a core." Tjay looked at Priam with kitten eyes. "The auction is already exploding and will last until tomorrow night."

"Wait, go back a second. Admired for a core?"

"Yes, the Phoenix clan charges people to admire it," Tjay confirmed.

Priam shook his head and pondered a second. He needed this item. If it synergizes with [Pseudo Phoenix] or [Axolotl or Hydra?]...

"How can they bring such a valuable object to this Reunion?" asked Priam, suspicious. He would have thought it a trap if Tjay hadn't seen the Tear. But if everyone could identify it, then it might be true.

"They may have paid a substantial price to the System. This would explain why they are showing the Tear. The System could have allowed them to take the Tear to tempt thieves and create conflict. Second option: they have earned it. The System normally limits this kind of item unless the wearer has earned it," Tjay explained, looking at Priam's spear.

Priam tightened his grip on his spear. He felt more connected with his weapon and looked forward to training with it. But he knew the weapon was too valuable for the Reunion. He had been allowed to take it because he had earned it himself. Under these conditions, there must be other rare objects...

"Where is this hotel? How much does the Tear cost?" he asked.

"In the upper part of the city, near the ducal palace. Currently, the best offer is thirty-two alien Baron cores. That's about six or seven local cores."

Priam sighed. He didn't have the money. At times like this, he realized the difference between himself and these factions. He was far more powerful and far less wealthy.

"I heard something else, too," the orphan whispered. "The Thieves' Guild has been hired to steal the Tear. They'll probably do it tonight. But the Phoenix Clan is bound to know about it."

Priam became thoughtful. If the best thieves in the world tried to take this tear tonight, he would have to change his plans. The Tear will be very useful to me in the Tribulation.

"This clan, do you know more about them?" he asked, looking at Tjay.

"The true Phoenix clan is a super faction as powerful as the Mercenaries, made up of Phoenixes. The humans here have sold their souls to a secondary clan family. The family is still powerful because Phoenix blood runs in their veins, but the main clan won't help them," Tjay clarified as he avoided two lovers kissing in the middle of the alley. "All in all, it's an important faction but nothing more. The Thieves' Guild wouldn't have accepted the contract if they were from the main family. The Tear is an amazing item for us, but the Phoenixes of the main clan should brush their teeth with more precious water," Tjay growled.

Priam nodded. He didn't have the money, but he needed the Tear. Besides, he would regain his immortality in about two hours and wanted to make the most of that time. Priam had no desire to face the Viscount of the Dome without being immortal.

"Show me their hotel. I'll borrow the Tear," Priam announced.

"I'm not sure they’ll agree, Sir," Tjay stammered.

The Baron's lips stretched into a smile. "The important thing is that I agree."

Lance1Priam and Tjay were standing on the roof of a beautiful, empty hotel. The hotel was not locked and anyone could go inside, but the sheer size of the building had deterred the factions from taking it over. No one could afford to occupy and guard a hotel with over twenty entrances, ten floors, hundreds of balconies, and thousands of windows.

So the two partners were sipping a soda - which Tjay had managed to find in one of the hotel's fridges - while observing the Phoenix Hotel, located less than six hundred meters away. This was the hotel's actual name, and the eponymous clan had surely chosen it for this reason.

The night was just over an hour away. It wasn't a real night because the Dome was permanently lit by the sun, but it was when most people closed their stores or workshops and went home. Even superhumans didn't want to spend several days in a row working—those who didn't need as much sleep preferred to go home to socialize and rest.

The clan hotel would close in an hour, but Priam did not want Tjay to stay there. If someone spotted the orphan, they could link him to Priam and thus to the upcoming robbery. However, Tjay still had some surprises for Priam.

"Except for the Tear, what else have you discovered?" asked Priam as he tossed him a Baron's Core. The information about the Tear was extremely useful, and Priam wanted to make sure Tjay knew it was in his interest to share this kind of secret with him.

"..." Tjay's eyes widened as he identified the core Priam had given him. It was the core he had gotten from Maya, and he wanted to get rid of it. He had relative trust in the Mercenary, but she might have altered the core to find out his location. A little paranoia never killed anyone. Not enough paranoia did.

"A thousand thanks, Sir," Tjay exclaimed, finally pocketing the core. The orphan remained silent for a few seconds before continuing. "I have another piece of information that I was able to verify."

Priam beckoned him to continue.

"There is a passage in the sewers, probably to get out of the Dome, but no one is sure. It is not guarded by two Barons but by a single Viscount. It seems quite weak, but it is still a Tier 1 monster. If it doesn't guard a passage, it guards a treasure. I'll draw you a quick map," he said, pulling out a notebook and pen.

"I've heard rumors, too," Tjay continued. "Everything might not be true, but it could interest you. First, the Library is said to have..."

Lance1Half an hour later, Priam got up. Tjay had been gone for fifteen minutes. If half the information he had heard was correct, he had a good chance of resisting the Tribulations without using his trump card. His achievement and proximity to the Revenants had drawn Humanity's most powerful factions to his Dome. Of course, the factions had brought some treasure with them. Priam was exceptional in some aspects but did not want to be arrogant. He knew that there were smarter and luckier humans out there.

Some had won treasures and had not yet consumed them for one reason or another. Men talked and some had boasted so much that rumors were born. Tjay had sorted through most of these rumors and given the location of half a dozen items Priam was interested in.

While he had no desire to use his strength to kill or torture people, Priam had no problem stealing treasure. His eyes glistened as he thought of the possibilities. First the Tear, then the Viscount. We'll see about the rest later.

Priam stretched before looking at his target. His goal was to reach the Phoenix Hotel through the roofs, then find a way into the Tear room. He would then ride the mist to get in and out quickly. The plan wasn't perfect, but he didn't want to rush in and risk killing innocent people or being recognized. Becoming the enemy of some factions would be inevitable, but he didn't have to create enemies if he could avoid it. He would be isolated if an alliance of factions came together against him. The members of these factions could spoil his public image, which didn't sit well with Priam. Being appreciated by the people could only be beneficial.

Worse than that, his family could suffer. He didn't want to be responsible for his parents being arrested because he stole a few trinkets.

Having finished stretching, Priam took a deep breath and focused on his skills. He began to run across the roof of the building that had taken him in. In three strides, he reached the roof's edge and jumped to the next. The leap would have been worthy of the applause of a professional parkour team—unfortunately, no one thought to look at Priam. The young man wasn't worried about his lack of an audience. He was running on the roofs like his childhood heroes, and the feeling of freedom was so exhilarating that he wanted to laugh.

Lvl Up: [Art of Movement] lvl 11
AGI +1
PERC +1
DEXT +1
Lvl Up: [Athletics] lvl 17
AGI +1

The roofs of the buildings in the Dome were sometimes flat, creating a terrace with ledges. The houses under these roofs were reminiscent of Moroccan and Iberian Riads. The architecture of the buildings in this part of the Dome borrowed from Maghrebian and futuristic inspirations. The final style pleased Priam. The Dome itself, far from anything on Earth, reminded him that the only rules that existed were those he set for himself. This discovery strengthened his self-confidence.

"[Kinetic Control]".

Priam accelerated further. The Dome was huge, somewhere between the size of Manhattan and Paris. But travel times are short when moving across the rooftops faster than a galloping horse. He arrived in about fifteen seconds at the hotel adjacent to his target. An avenue separated him from the Phoenix Hotel. He had to get down or jump farther than he had ever done before.

Eyes crinkled in a smile, Priam sped up again. His joints cracked from the force. A light mist remained in his wake. Like a cat, he prepared himself. His kinetic charges were ready. The target was fifty meters from his roof.

A shadow shot up from the roof. In the eternal dawn light of the dome, the shadow of light looked like a shooting star. If a passerby had looked up to the sky, he could have seen the champion of humanity split the sky.

The first leap covered half the distance. Two kinetic charges later, the man landed softly on a wing of a Phoenix statue. Maybe a long enough jump gives a Title?

Priam smiled as he looked briefly at the ducal palace not far away. If that were the case, he would receive the Title before the day was out.

Lvl Up: [Kinetic Control] lvl 15
VIVA +2
DEXT +3
META (FOCUS) +4
Lvl Up: [Art of Movement] lvl 12
AGI +1
PERC +1
DEXT +1

He had been careful to cushion his landing in a controlled manner. He had first absorbed his own energy, then managed to steal the kinetic energy imparted to the statue during the energy transfer. Finding new ways to use his skill seemed an excellent way to increase his levels.

Priam quickly looked at his status.

Status:

PHYSICAL:
Strength 86
Constitution 103
Agility 119
Vitality 164
Perception 179

His perception was approaching 180 points, and he still had more than two days before his Tribulation. He began to look at his various skills and swallowed. To increase his chances of survival, he would have to steal several rare resources Tjay had told him about. To steal these resources, he would have to use his skills. Improving his skills would most likely increase his Perception to over 200. Even if he refused to use his Perception skills, his Vitality would likely exceed 200.

Indeed, he planned to die at least once with his Tribulation, if only to face it at his best. He was going to fight the Boss of the Dome in less than two hours, and he didn't think he would get away unscathed. The new synergy between his Merits, Titles, and Talents would significantly increase his Vitality if he died. I'm screwed either way.

Priam huffed. Two or three Tribulations, did it really matter? If his trump card worked, then he had a chance. If not... Priam looked up at the sun. He would fight. He would defeat his Tribulations and earn a legendary Achievement. His name would resound in the memory of warriors as the Champion. Undefeated and immortal. If he wanted to become the Eighth Concept, it was impossible to stay on safe paths. Priam persuaded himself to believe in him. He would have to take all the risks. He had looked death in the face. He had survived. He would continue to survive.

If he failed, he would be a colossal idiot. A colossal dead idiot. If he survived, he would be the hope of humanity.

"A third Tribulation? Bring it on," he said with a smile. He who evaded death knew how to smile at it too.

Priam focused on his mist. The Tear wasn't going to steal itself. His Perception told him that hundreds of people were currently occupying the hotel. He would not be able to enter the hotel without being seen and had not yet been able to learn [Mask - Epic]. Learning this skill promised to be laborious, and Priam wanted to have an extra life before.

What bothered Priam was that even a child could identify him if he stole the Tear. If he didn't want to become public enemy number one, all he had to do was use his mist. It was recognizable, of course, but all the Barons of humanity were supposed to be able to use it. No one could accuse him without proof.

"Besides, the Champion of Humanity shall eliminate the Viscount of the Dome and the Menace of Viracocha. Stealing a few trinkets would be beneath me," Priam laughed softly.

SymboleFin_NB.png
Status: (Average value for a Homo sapiens male before integration: PHY 10 / MEN 10 / META 0)

PHYSICAL:
Strength 86
Constitution 103
Agility 119
Vitality 164
Perception 178

MENTAL:
Vivacity 134
Dexterity 112
Memory 33
Willpower 69
Charisma 84

META:
Meta-affinity 80
Meta-focus 60
Meta-endurance 4
Meta-chance 40

Potential: 210
Tier 0

[He Who Eludes Death] charge: OFF. Reloaded in 1h 02min 29s.

[Tribulation]: A Tribulation is coming.
Time: 53 hours 32 minutes 23 seconds.

4