Chapter 117. Warning
249 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At once, most eyes in the warehouse snapped to him, the few people close by taking a couple steps back. When his laugh became the only sound filling the area, Leo finally went silent. That was what he got for laughing like an idiot.

Oh, whatever. It's not like this is my fault. Frank started it. He sighed and raised his gaze, meeting the Fallen's yellow eyes. "You sure about that!?" His low, almost demonic voice filled the area. "They will have enough time to be scared later."

Frank snorted. "Fuck that! Tony here kept them in the dark for too long," he said, giving the man a side glance. "Show those people why they will survive another day and be protected from the Nightmares. Let this be another lesson. Adapt or die!"

Now is really not the time for that; you said this yourself, you fucker. Not that you give me much choice. Leo sighed.

Even as the stench of fear was clear in the air, the people kept looking at him, silent curiosity shining in their eyes. He could still try to ignore them and walk away, but he knew no one would forget about this anytime soon. The seed had been planted, just like Frank most likely wanted...

Great. He grumbled, sneaking a glance at Holden. The man didn't seem happy, but he still stayed silent. They probably agreed to this and didn't even think to warn me... Strike number one, friend. You won't get another.

Yet, even as the fires of rage boiled underneath his skin, he just took a few deep breaths and nodded. Better to get this out of the way and accept whatever reactions he caused. Not that he cared; his job didn't require anyone's approval.

And so, with one swift move, his cloak fell from his body, leaving everything bare from the waist up. Below, only his shredded and dirty pants hid his modesty. He should probably change those soon.

Not that this thought remained in his head for longer than a second when the gathered crowd realized who or rather what was standing among them. Screams and shrieks filled the warehouse while some people drew their broken weapons, hands shaking.

However, nobody attacked.

"Silence, you bloody idiots!" Frank shouted, freezing everyone in place. "As you can all see, we have another monster among us. A monster that, just like me, was a human not that long ago. Some of you might even know him as the local reporter for Wolford Insight, Leo Hale."

"Not that it really matters anymore. After all, unlike all of you maggots, Hale here accepted that the past is gone. He adapted better than anyone in this bloody city and decided to thrive instead of just surviving. He even conquered a fucking nest alone!"

Frank paused, chuckling quietly. "Do you see it now? The potential the System gifted us? You all can have this, too. If you try, of course. Your future belongs to you and only you. Now move out! You have three minutes."

No one moved right away, and Leo couldn't even fault them. The Fallen’s shock therapy, or whatever he wanted to call it, would have that effect on anyone who didn't accept the reality of this world yet. Hell, even some of the higher-level survivors stood still, their minds processing what had just happened.

"Did I fucking stutter?!" Frank's voice once more reverberated through the building. "Move your arses, maggots! If you ain't ready in two minutes, you can go on your own!"

That seemed like the right thing to say as the gathered crowd instantly woke up. Everybody exploded into chatter and started running around the warehouse like headless chickens. People still gave Leo a wide berth, throwing a fearful glance or glares in his direction, but apart from that, nothing changed.

Although that might be because of Frank's warning. The fear of being left behind probably outweighed anything they felt for the new monsters in their ranks.

"Never a boring day with ya, lad. Hmm?" Dylan shook his head, mirth shining in his eyes.

Leo snorted. "Told you it's gonna be interesting. Though I will admit. I didn't expect to reveal myself today."

The older man released a hearty chuckle of his own. "I don't think anybody did apart from maybe Tony..."

"Yeah," he muttered, narrowing his eyes at Holden in the distance. "I will need to have a chat with him about that soon."

For a moment, the other’s man stayed silent before he nodded firmly. "Aye, you do that. I have to gather the rest of my gear. I will see you outside."

Left alone, Leo traced the movement around him. Even if only one group would be going out now, everybody had something important to do. That or people were still scared after Frank's speech and couldn't stay in one place. At this point, everything was possible.

Not my problem. Holden can deal with the mess his friend created. I got something out of this anyway... They lied. Frank is anything but a simple person...


Much to his surprise, they all somehow managed to organize properly and gather outside the building in due time. Ready for the march, the first group began their journey, the eleven civilians moving in the middle while half of the battle-ready fighters surrounded them from an appropriate distance.

Of course, those who didn't want to fight had their own task. Not an easy one at that, as they had to carry a large wooden pallet stacked to the top with all kinds of supplies. Even with this many people, their strain was visible to a blind eye, and Leo wouldn't be surprised if they had to take a break sooner or later.

"I've missed this," Dylan announced next to him, his eyes on the cloudy sky. "It ain't the UK without bloody clouds on each morning."

Leo chuckled, glad for the company on this boring trip. Walking alone at the back of the group for an hour or so would have been quite tiring. Hell, he couldn't even slaughter Voidlings to kill time, as Nyx apparently cleared the path a bit too well. The people at the front just didn't need his help to defeat the few remaining stragglers...

Rest for now, Nyx, you did enough. Despite addressing the feline internally, he still kept up with the conversation outside. "I wouldn't be too happy. Before, clouds like this usually meant rain, but now? Who fucking knows..."

'As you wish. I will hide near the new Safe Zone. Beware though. I left one Brute alive in your path,' Nyx returned while next to him, Dylan grimaced.

"Aye... Didn't think of that," the older man grumbled. "Everything wants to kill us nowadays, so why not clouds too. Bloody Outbreak won't even let me enjoy the simplest things."

"Sorry not sorry," Leo shrugged, only to pause midstep as something wet hit the back of his head.

Slowly, he brought his hand up, trailing a claw across the point of impact. Water. Shit, we had to jinx it. He cursed, looking up at the sky. His enhanced eyes instantly zeroed on serval droplets falling towards the ground.

All around, people stopped too; it must have been a while since anyone experienced rain firsthand and not from some kind of shelter. After all, the last time it happened was during the second night, and he doubted anyone was brave enough to step into that storm when nightmares prowled through the city.

"At least it's only water," Leo heard Dylan murmur after Frank's shout to start moving again.

Right away, he shot a glare in the mage's direction. They didn't need to jinx this into something worse. The alarm bells ringing deep inside his mind were worrying enough. Really, for being so weak, Hunter's instincts were picking up in activity quite fast.

And that can mean only one thing. With a growl, Leo barked to Dylan, "Need to have a word with Holden. Be right back."

Not waiting for a response, he picked up the pace without breaking into a sprint. He didn't want to cause panic by passing everyone as if a demon was on his heel. Frank would burst a vein if the civilians dropped the cargo because he scared them.

Besides, we don't have time for more breaks than absolutely necessary.

"Holden," Leo called out, just a few steps behind the two leaders. "A word."

The Fallen and Ascended Human turned around at once, their expression mirroring each other.

"What is it, Hale?" The main leader motioned for him to join them. "I know I can't command you, but I would appreciate it if you didn't brea-"

"Yes, you can’t. Now please just listen," he rolled his eyes, matching their pace. On his right, Frank snorted. "The rain. Aren't you two concerned at all?"

"Mate, I have lived here for most of my life. A bit of water is the last thing on my mind," the Fallen answered, and Leo almost wanted to punch him in the face.

For someone who preached about adapting to the new order, Frank sure was quite shortsighted. Although, considering his little show before they left ReachHope, maybe that shouldn't have been a surprise. This guy definitely gave off the vibes of speaking first and thinking later.

Well, Holden, here is your chance to prove you are smarter.

The Ascended frowned, sticking out his palm for the rain to consume. "What do you know, Hale?"

Good. Didn't dismiss me. Leo nodded towards the sky. "For now, it just rains, but what if it changes? You both know damn well that everything is out to kill survivors. Is it really a stretch to think the weather is no different?"

That made even Frank consider his words as whatever he wanted to say died on his opened lips. Silence fell upon them only to be broken by a roar up ahead.

The convoy stopped dead, frantic whispers already spreading among the civilians. Holden also raised his hand high, most likely ready to give the order, but Leo stopped him by stepping forward. He knew what was coming, after all.

Just like Nyx warned, a Brute dashed from round the corner, its bulk sending tremors across the ground. The civilians screamed, dropping their heavy cargo even as the fighters all around moved to calm the panicking idiots.

"Hale?!" Holden shouted.

"Don't worry," Leo muttered, Essence surging into his tail. "I'm just doing my part of the job."

Instantly, the middle tail stabbed into the ground, the gathered energy following its given order. Not even a second passed before the earth beneath the running Brute exploded, shadow spikes forming one after another.

The beast roared in pain, blood pouring out from the numerous wounds scattered over its body. Already, some of the injuries tried to heal, steam rising from them, but with the spikes still there, there was nothing the healing factor could do.

Leo smiled just a bit. He could end it with his claws and tear the monster's head off its body, but it would be too simple, too easy. No, now that the humans knew about some of his abilities thanks to Clara and Tyler, he could provide them with a show of force. A proper one at that, so they would know what awaited them if they decided to mess with him again.

And it's not like I don't have any more hidden abilities.

Once more, Essence gathered in his right tail. Without waiting any further, he repeated his actions, releasing another Eruption. Only this one was different.

While the first one was meant to immobilize and wound the beast, the second went right for the kill. It erupted a good few feet before the Brute, but this time there was only one, colossal spike flying forward.

The muscular Voidling never had the time to even blink as the construct shot right through its head. The monster's struggle stilled, and with naught but a thought, Leo dismissed all the spikes, letting the corpse collapse to the ground with a thud.

He spun on his heel, nodding to the two stunned leaders as the rain continued to fall around them.

"Well gentlemen, let's get back on the road and continue our conversation. Shall we?"

Read the end of Book 2 right now on my Patreon.

Total of 20 chapters ahead of RR: https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65

Discord: Land of Chaos

And remember to check out Noct's Amazon release!

Zeke doesn't want to destroy the world. Problem is, he's an Apocalypse. 

Zeke and his friends are enjoying the city when suddenly, the apocalypse begins. Which one? All of them. Lucky (or unlucky) enough to be chosen as an apocalypse, Zeke sets off to [Devour] his way to the top! 

It wouldn't be so bad, but his best friend's out to kill him, that rock has a gun, and everything, literally everything, has gone to hell. Zeke came out here to have a good time, and honestly, he's feeling so attacked right now. 

Weak to strong prog fantasy with skills and skill fusion. 

Now on Amazon and KU! Click image to check out the book on Amazon!


15