Chapter 118. A bit of rain
259 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To no one's surprise, before their chat about the weather could continue, they first had to deal with the spooked civilians. Not that they were the only ones who had to relax. From what Leo noticed, a few of the fighters weren't fairing much better. Though that might have been more of his fault than the Brute's.

Again, he didn't worry too much. What he did here had a purpose. Most of the people in the group didn’t know him, but from now on, they would think twice before even thinking of going against him. Also, he wanted to remind Holden again that he didn't appreciate what happened back at ReachHope.

The Fallen and the Ascended didn't say anything to acknowledge what just happened. But going by the looks he had received from them, they definitely got the hidden message. Which was more than enough for him, at least for now...

Despite the screaming and numerous complaints, within a few minutes, their journey continued. This time, Leo stayed at the front and slowly explained his concerns about the weather to the evolved duo. He had to tell a few half-truths to keep his more complicated secrets, but overall, he told them most of what he knew.

"We can't delay the move any longer, Hale," Holden ran a hand across his face. "I don't have enough Ether to prolong the old Safe Zone's life. And even if I did, it's currently at eight percent stability. I doubt it will last through the night or even today."

All fair points, but still. Leo sighed. "We might not have a choice if something worse than the rain comes. Besides, it's not like you absolutely need a safe zone to hide from danger. I survived the second night's storm in an abandoned building."

I probably shouldn't mention that the fucking thing could have collapsed on my head at any moment.

"Aye, the beasty is right," Frank joined in the conversation. "If the bloody weather catches us with our pants down, we can clear a random building and wait it out there. Only the supplies will go to hell in that case."

That solves the issue for those outside. Not exactly who I'm worried about. Leo shook his head. "That's great and all, but what about those back at the old site? You said it yourself, Holden. That safe zone is almost dead."

Only the humming of the falling rain filled the silence as the two leaders mulled over his question.

"The basement," Holden finally muttered. "It should be large enough to hide everyone remaining if necessary. It has only two entrances and no windows. If we barricade it well enough, Nightmares might not get anywhere near them."

Might... How I sometimes hate this word. Leo scowled but didn't say anything right away. After all, without a Safe Zone, surviving another night is always a 'might,' never a promise. Hiding and barricading sure helped, but if a Nightmare decided to dig deeper, nothing could stop it from trying.

"That's one backup plan. I'd rather have a few more," he stated, his mind also trying to come up with some good ideas. Adam's and Ava's life depended on it.

Frank hummed. "How long would it take ya to run back to ReachHope from the new place?"

Leo mulled over the question, recalling all the trips he had taken through the city over the past few days. He had never really used his full speed combined with Reinforcement and some Limit Break just to travel, but if he had to guess...

"Five or ten minutes at most if I ignore everything in the way," he nodded to no one in particular, quite sure of his prediction.

"Well, there you go," Frank clapped him on the shoulder. "They can hide in the basement, and if it's not dark yet, you can run back to check on them. That's the start of a good plan if I say so."

Both Leo and Holden gave the Fallen a doubtful look. A start it might be, but of a good plan? Not so much. They didn't voice their thoughts though. After all, they still had some time to come up with something better.


"Would you look at that, beasty," Frank announced as the new Safe Zone came into sight. "We arrived, and it ain't even raining anymore."

Leo rolled his eyes at the smug expression on the Fallen's face. Sure, the rain might have stopped, but the clouds didn't go anywhere. He would even argue that they got worse as the time passed. Barely any sunlight got through at this point.

"The calm before the storm," he whispered. "There is a reason why this saying exists. The question is how long this calm will last this time..."

The Fallen huffed. "Bloody hell, you are almost as bad as Tony."

"That's enough, Frank," Holden growled when they passed through the safe zone's boundary. "Let's get everyone settled in and run it back. Hale is right. There is no time to waste. The stability is down to five percent already."

Shit.

Unlike Leo, the Fallen let his displeasure be known as he muttered a string of curses. As soon as he finished, the man barked orders to the whole group, leaving no place for complaints.

They all quickly spilled into the small building attached to the warehouse, everybody carrying a few boxes from the pallet. However, before they could move any further, two survivors blocked their path in the corridor.

"Allen, Reed," Holden greeted the two men. "Any issues?"

Tyler shook his head. "Nothing. Vodilings didn't even dare to come close during the night."

When the other survivor nodded, Holden grunted. "Good. Allen, go and help with the supplies. Reed, with us."

Both men nodded, and while Tyler moved toward the exit, the other man led them into the warehouse. He showed them a place cleared of any debris, ready to receive the boxes they all carried. Apparently, Holden gave them some stuff to do during the night as the place overall seemed cleaner.

Still a lot of work ahead of them if they want to make this place livable... For now though, we have three more groups to escort. Nothing else matters till then.


The way back to ReachHope took a lot less time than Leo expected. Despite having Holden, Frank, and a few other survivors slow him down, they all moved swiftly without taking even a single break. Voidlings didn't pose a threat to them, and so they made their way through the city faster than a car sometimes could.

A familiar blond-haired woman — Diana, if he remembered correctly — greeted them at the entrance. Or rather, she only welcomed Holden and got right into the business as if no one else was there.

"Everything is prepared, Tony," she spoke as they walked towards the warehouse. "I managed to add a few boxes with essentials. It will make the package a bit heavier, but worth it in the long run."

Holden nodded. "And the people?"

"Afraid but waiting for your signal."

"Excellent." He turned to the Fallen, "Frank, go gather everyone and lead them outside. I will join you soon. Diana and I need to discuss what we spoke about on the way."

"Hale," the Ascended looked him in the eyes when they stopped at the warehouse's entrance. "Please let Ava know to slowly get Adam ready for the move. I want them to be fully prepared once we get back."

"Sure," Leo mock saluted and walked away. Either way, he should probably give Adam another shot of Essence to ensure the boy remained calm for the rest of the day.

"The rest of you," he still heard Holden say in the distance. "Assume usual positions and rest for the time being."

More words were exchanged, but Leo tuned them out. One, he could barely hear them anymore, and two, he didn't care. He had a few minutes to spend with his remaining family again and didn't plan to waste them.

Like always, Adam tried to crush him with a hug upon entrance, but even as a level nine, the boy was far from strong enough to do that. Ava might not have been as excited, but the relief in her eyes was evident with just one look.

They talked for as long as the short break allowed, but when a knock sounded through the room, they all knew the time was up. And so, with a promise to be back soon and a message from Holden given, he left them behind once more.

Only one more group. Stop worrying so much, you idiot. Yet even as he tried to convince himself that everything would be fine, another part of him couldn't stop conjuring the worst scenarios possible.

Fine, he growled. Nyx!

'Yes?' The feline answered, alert as always. 'Is it time already?'

No... Change of plans. You stay here. Observe, and if something happens, protect them before I can get here. Otherwise I won't be able to focus on anything else.

'As you wish. But Leo...' Nyx hesitated to continue for a moment. 'Do you really think this place will fall before you return?'

You heard Holden. Leo grunted. Only about five percent stability remains. I don't want to even think of this place failing, but... Remember what I said once? If something can go wrong, it will. I am just taking precautions.

'Understood. I will watch over them.'

Thanks. He smiled, only for the smile to be wiped off his face when he stepped outside the building. Would you look at that? The rain is back. Great...


Under the guise of stretching his legs and killing boredom, Leo stayed a good pace ahead of the group, slaughtering every Voidling in sight. While the reasons he gave Holden weren't entirely false, they were also far from the truth. After all, he couldn't tell them someone had to take over Nyx's job.

You again? Leo scowled as four Seekers once more circled above the group. Last time, a simple roar from him had them running, but now, they stayed but never attacked. Ah.. I see why...

A familiar screech pierced the air, followed by a Harpy bounding towards the sky, seeking its new prey. Without fail, the beast zeroed in on him and dived, talons at the ready.

Dumb bird. He rolled his eyes, half a dozen shadow spears forming around him. The moment the Harpy got within firing range, the constructs shot forward, claiming its prey.

The beast howled, blood joining with the rain as it fell to the ground along with the Voidling. It crashed feet or two away from Leo in a heap of broken bones.

His blade extended, ready to finish the Harpy's struggles, but something stopped him short.

A thunderclap split the air, followed by a flash of crimson lightning racing across the sky. The raindrops turned black within a second as the world also darkened, the visibility only slightly better than at night. Though with the contact flashes of lightning, that wasn't much of a problem.

No. This is the fucking problem.

WARNING! The influence of the Void has altered the formation of a local storm. Assessment: Eclipse Void Storm (Rank F) in progress.

WARNING! Nightmares are waking for the duration of the Eclipse Storm. Due to the sudden disturbance and time of the day, their strength has been limited to 70%.

The System recommends finding shelter immediately. Good Luck.

And then the screams began.

Read the end of Book 2 right now on my Patreon. Next: Chapter 119. Scream

Total of 20 chapters ahead of RR: https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65

Discord: Land of Chaos

15