Chapter 119. Scream
229 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some civilians screamed to the heavens, their eyes darting all around in search of a way to escape the coming hell. Others collapsed to the ground, trying to hide between the stack of boxes that once more lay forgotten on the street.

The somewhat calm fighters, along with Frank and Holden, had already run toward the panicked crowd, their shouts attempting to drown the screams. Only it could never be that easy. It was a known fact that a scared human was anything but rational. And it was proved even further by what happened next.

A single civilian, a middle-aged man, suddenly sprinted away from the group in ReachHope's direction. Sparked by his actions, two more people tried the same but didn't care where they ran.

Those still of the right mind moved to intercept them, to stop them from wasting their lives. For the most part, they succeded, and only the first runner managed to escape, his form disappearing around the corner.

However, due to civilians outnumbering the fighting force, another person tried to break it towards the nearest building. Unfortunately for them, Leo had had enough of this mess.

Taking a deep breath, he roared, easily drowning the shouting and the continuous booming of thunder. Instantly, the humans fell silent, their wide-eyed gaze falling on him.

"Enough! Get the fuck up and listen if you want to live," he hissed. "The new Safe Zone is, at worst, five minutes away from here. The Nightmares won't get to us in time if we run!"

And yet, no one moved. Leo growled, ready to leave those idiots if necessary. But just then, Frank finally woke up.

"You heard the man!" The Fallen shouted. "Leave the supplies and move your fat arses if you want to live! We ain't waiting any longer."

Finished with his short speech, the man helped the nearest person stand up and, with a hand still on their arm, started running. The other fighters and Holden followed in his steps, dragging a civilian or two behind them. They too slowly broke out of shock and picked up in speed, their desire to survive burning bright again.

Leo grinned and, with a burst of Essence, passed them all, his blades extending. The howling of Voidlings filled the air. Some of them screamed in pain, their bodies collapsing in broken heaps as he took them down with a single attack.

However, the screeches in the distance weren't as welcoming. Their sheer tenacity chilled even his blood. Hell, even with his increased power, a bit of fear seeped into his mind. The Nightmares were coming, and nothing could stop them.

"Holden!" He called out, slowing his pace a bit. "I hope everyone still has their flares. Get them ready just in case!"

Leo didn't wait for an answer and pushed onward again as a small group of Voidlings blocked their path. He slaughtered them all with just his blades, his pure speed and strength overwhelming the monsters.

Job finished, he risked a glance behind, glad to see the flares in everyone's hands. They may only have three more streets to go, but a Scouter or even a Collector could appear at any moment now. Those bloody beast were at least as fast as him after all.

At least they are thirty percent weaker now. Leo growled, his shadow spears piercing through another group of Voidlings. Nyx?! How is it going there?

'Plenty of Ameists are already out and about,' the feline shared a single image of the HopeReach's building front. 'For now, they are just sniffing and gathering random stuff... Although a few came quite close to the safe zone.'

He sighed. Nothing to worry about for now.

What about you? Do you think you can stay out of sight and keep watching?

Nyx huffed. 'Easily. Those creatures might hunt in the dark, but the shadows still belong to me. They will never see me if I stay in the same spot.'

Happy to hear that. Good luck then. Let me know if anything happens or when the Nightmares come too close.

'I will. Good luck to you too, Leo.'

Their link quietened after this exchange, falling into slumber. Leo didn't mind; he had to focus on what was happening around him. Nightmares' howls were becoming louder and louder with each second. If they didn't hurry, he might have to stall.

No risking my life though... At least not too much. I still have enough reasons to live...

As they all sprinted onto another street, the top of the Safe Zone's dome peeked over the buildings to their right. They were close, on the last stretch.

Others seemed to realize it too, their pace picking up, pushing their bodies beyond their limits. Within seconds, they dashed on the last part of their journey, the golden boundary looking so inviting in the distance.

A few people gathered at the edge of the Safe Zone, already shouting random words of encouragement at them. Yet suddenly, they all fell silent, their eyes snapping away from the running group.

Leo followed their actions just as eardrum-bursting screeches pierced the air.

Fuck!

"Activate the fucking flares and run!" He growled, said item also slipping into his hand and igniting with naught but a thought.

Still running, with the help of his tails, Leo performed a one-eighty turn and sped towards the end of his group. Holden threw him a questioning look, but he ignored it and shot past them all, a roar leaving his lips.

The two Scouters that almost caught up to them paused in the air. Their slitted eyes narrowed at the flare in his hands, and he couldn't help but grin.

Like it you fucking monkeys? Well, here you go.

At once, he threw the flare right at the Nightmares, a dozen shadow spears following right after. The Scouters screeched, dodging all the projectiles, but it didn't matter anymore.

Using the distraction, Leo activated Reinforcement and threw himself toward the Safe Zone, where everybody was already waiting. He ran like possessed, never looking back.

"Fucking hell," he chuckled, the Safe Zone warmth washing over him. "That was fun, right?"

Only Frank reacted, snorting quietly. The others, while still watching him warily, were more worried about catching their breaths. Hell, even Holden seemed somewhat winded. Though the man didn't show it much, his focus still on the Nightmares gathering beyond the golden border and the storm brewing above their heads.

"You have my thanks, Hale," the Ascended muttered. "If you didn't stall, this might have turned ugly."

Leo sighed, plopping down on the ground, glad that the rain couldn't reach within the dome. "We still lost one. And the supplies."

"Fuck that," Frank scoffed. "That idiot forfeited his life the moment he let his fear take over. As for the supplies... We can get more later. We are alive. That's what matters."

True enough. He agreed, glancing at Holden. "How is the stability looking?"

Holden grimaced. "Just ticked down to three percent. With some luck, it should survive until the storm ends."

"Meaning it won't," the Fallen grumbled. "Diana better get everyone moving. The basement is their only chance if this bloody weather doesn't clear in time."

"She is capable and works well under pressure. You know that," Holden stated almost absently. "She was already organizing everything before we even left. They will be fine under her care."

Leo wanted to believe him; he really did. However, the fact remained that Diana had only five capable fighters to help her with about a dozen civilians. And that was without adding Adam into the mix.

They will be fine. He repeated in the safety of his mind. As soon as this storm ends, I will run there as fast as possible. The others can catch up.

"We should get inside," Holden spoke again, though he didn't move. Just like everyone around them, he too couldn't break his gaze away from the gathering horde of Nightmares.

With each colorful lightning bolt striking the earth, the forms of dozens of Voidlings flashed right in front of them. And then, when darkness claimed the earth once more, all that remained were the violet glows coming off their bodies.

For Leo, with his night vision, it wasn't anything special. He could see them perfectly no matter what. However, witnessing the Nightmares appear and almost disappear every few seconds had to be quite the sight for everyone else.

"They are watchin' us like we are some exhibit in a bloody zoo," Frank scowled, turning away from the ever-increasing number of Nightmares.

"Aren't we?" A new voice — Dylan — asked. "Aye, the roles might be reversed, but there ain't much we can do 'bout that."

Frank huffed, muttering, "Doesn't mean I have to like it." He shook his head, looking at the mage. "Dylan Hammond, right? What is the situation inside?"

The mage straightened. "Decent. We cleaned a few more rooms and began securing one for Adam and his mother. It should be ready in an hour or two, but..." he trailed off, eyes drifting to the monsters beyond the golden dome.

"Aye, there might be a bit of a delay. Nothing we can't manage," the Fallen sighed, only to snap at Holden a moment later. "Oi, Tony! Wake the fuck up. You can watch scary monsters later. We need to get those people settled in."

"So many..." The usually stoic man muttered. "I didn't want to believe when you told me about the mall, Leo... But now... now I see. It's a miracle we only lost one... How do you even win against this?"

Ah... So that's how it is.

At that moment, Leo really pitied the man. Leading so many people, giving them a chance to survive, and all of that without fully realizing how shitty their world had become. Not that he was the only one. Everybody here, apart from Dylan and Frank, held similar expressions.

Well. You all had to learn sooner or later. Shame it had to happen like this.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Frank growled suddenly and slapped Holden hard. "Snap out of it! Yeah, we're fucked. What's new? This is the world we live in... Maybe now you will realize why we can't coddle those people."

Leo withheld a snort. Quite vulgar, but not wrong.

Holding his cheek, Holden narrowed his eyes at his friend. "That was unnecessary."

"That's your opinion, not mine." Frank shrugged, putting a distance between them. "I think it worked perfectly. Now stop moping and come. Even with this bloody storm, there is work waiting to be done."

Holden growled but didn't argue. Instead he called out to everyone still watching the Nightmares in the distance. Some ignored him at first, but with a nudge or two from another person, soon everybody was en route toward the warehouse.

I swear, those two's interaction is the best entertainment in this fucked up world. Leo chuckled, following a little behind the others. Now the waiting game begins... Just please don't let this fucking storm last too lo-

'Leo!' Nyx's sudden shout rooted him in place.

Heart hammering in his chest, he answered. What is it?! Did the Safe Zone collapse? The Nightmares got in?

'No! The barrier still stands. But I heard screams, Leo! Screams from within the building! Something is going on there."

Fuck! Leo spun on his heel, facing the golden barrier once more. Did you try to get in? Heard anything else?

'Not yet. I wanted to let you know first.'

But can you do it? Can you try without getting noticed? Please...

'I will do my best.' Nyx vowed.

Leo took a deep breath, nodding. Thank you. Do whatever you must. I'm on my way too.

Alarms instantly blared over their link as Nyx shouted. 'What?! No, you can't. Nightmares will tear you apart!'

A low growl left his throat as his vision shifted, the red pushing all the other colors away.

"Let them try."

Read the end of Book 2 right now on my Patreon. Next: Chapter 120. Hunted

Total of 20 chapters ahead of RR: https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65

Discord: Land of Chaos

13