Chapter 121. Failure
466 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why now? Why couldn't you wait a bit longer?! Leo punched the wall next to him, his fist almost slamming through as he instinctively drew on his skills. If only I was here. If only I had convinced Holden to escort you two first... I failed... again.

Yet, within the sea of rage, sadness, and shame, a small rational part of his mind still prevailed. He knew he could have done more, could have somehow prevented this. But despite that, escorting Adam and Ava to the new site quicker just wasn't the way to do that.

It wouldn't have changed anything apart from the place of the massacre. People would die anyway, and Leo might have still been too late to save more than a few people if even that.

In the end, there existed only one way to prevent this all. And that was to be with Adam all the time, to watch over him until he finally evolved. Not that it would have ever worked. He had way too much stuff to worry about to stay in one place for more than a few hours.

Like finding a normal way to fix Adam, securing a new safe zone for them, or just getting stronger to survive another day.

Of course I had to fail at the most important task... Leo clenched his fists, staring at the frozen face of his sister-in-law. I thought I had more time. I thought I could save him, Ava... I'm so sorry.

He stepped past the drained corpse, leaving the room in peace after closing the door. He would come back here, but now, the time had come to fix his mistakes, to end this part of the story. He owed at least that much to all those who died today...

Leo didn't need to search for his target; the trail of blood and bodies did that for him. It led him out of the warehouse and into a small corridor where the stairs to the basement awaited. Really, he should have expected that.

Diana must have started the evacuation when the storm began and left his family to be moved last. Adam either evolved during that time or lay in the waiting, ready to spring the trap the moment someone came in. He suspected the latter.

Not that it matters. He chuckled bitterly, suppressing the waves of emotions trying to claim his mind and soul. It was not the time for that, not yet. He needed a somewhat clear head for what waited for him down there...

His sight shifted, night vision activating as he descended into the complete darkness. Here blood covered almost every inch of the walls while pieces of human bodies grew in number. Some were drained, while others were torn to shreds with visible bite marks.

Oh kiddo...

He averted his gaze from Diana's body, or rather what was left of it, lying at the bottom of the stairs. A bloody sword wasn't that far away. The last sign that the woman at least didn't go out without a fight and died trying to protect her people...

A crack of bones and a loud hiss came suddenly from the depths of the basement. More sounds followed right after, each more disturbing than the last one. And yet, Leo didn't falter; he had heard and seen worse. Though a slight shiver still went down his spine as he thought about the source.

It wasn't supposed to end like this...

He passed more open rooms as he walked through the narrow corridor, leaving more bodies behind him. The noises grew louder with each second until, finally, he stepped into a bit larger chamber, and his eyes fell upon the one responsible for it all.

Everything went silent.

"Adam..." Leo muttered, gazing at the creature that once had been his godson. Or maybe still was...

The boy's form was so similar to his own, if quite smaller and with a few modifications. While one of his arms carried the same claws, his other limb didn't possess a working hand but a blade that started at the elbow. One not that much different from his own.

Then there was the single tail, long and powerful. Small spikes littered its surface while a short blade decorated its tip. Truly a weapon even deadlier than Nyx's and his tails when they weren't using shadows.

Apex Night Stalker (Voidling) | LVL: 13

Of course... An Apex evolution. And one that was offered to me too. Guess memories weren't the only thing you took, eh buddy? It could have been funny if not for the circumstances. Now, the realization only filled him with dread.

"You." The evolved child looked him in the eyes, crimson meeting violet. "You smell familiar. Did you come to join the feast? Or maybe you want to become one?" Adam grinned, blood and gore on his teeth.

He can talk, like Nyx. He remembers me. Despite everything he had witnessed, a small flame of hope ignited in his chest. Maybe there was still a chance to save Adam, to keep his promise to Ava.

'He killed her!'

'He slaughtered everyone!'

'We can do the same!'

'Just let us...'

Shut up! Leo snapped at the voices, strengthening the lock on his bloodlust. He couldn't let it out now.

"Adam," he muttered, crouching down. "Calm down. It's just me, Leo. Your uncle. Please remember..."

The child tilted his head. "Uncle? Do you wish to give me your power too? Just like mother did? Please say yes. I need more!"

What? What the hell? Even though his thoughts almost halted, Leo didn't let it show. "Buddy, no..." He swallowed. "I can help you if you want to get stronger... Just please listen to me."

"No?" Adam scowled, ignoring anything else he had said. "You won't? That's fine! I can take it by myself. It's so much more fun this way!"

Before the boy even finished speaking, he had already shot forward, the single blade ready to end the fight with one hit. Leo growled and blocked with his own weapons, pushing his godson away.

This didn't seem to faze him as the child went along with the movement before jumping in again. Claws and blade rained blows upon Leo, each faster than the last one. Not that he had all that much trouble to defend; there was still a vast level difference between them, after all.

"Adam, stop!" He hissed, backhanding the Apex into the nearest wall. "I don't want to hurt you!"

Still grinning, Adam chirped as he climbed to his feet. "Don't worry, uncle! Mommy also tried to beg. She didn't want to share too at first... But now, her power is all mine. Soon, yours will join her!"

A dark sheen wrapped around his godson's body while a green glow seeped into his blade and claws. With a deranged giggle, the child attacked once more, the meeting of blades almost pushing Leo back.

Fuck! He grimaced, channeling the slightest bit of Essence into his already exhausted body. Special ability? Trait? That's no reinforcement, that's for sure.

Instead of straight-up blocking everything, he switched to deflecting. At the same time, his mind went a hundred miles per hour, trying to work out a plan. Adam might not want to talk or work with him, but he at least remembered his family to some degree. There had to be a way to make the boy see reason, to return him to how he was before.

But how?! He narrowed his eyes, feinting a slash to slip through the child's guard. I couldn't save him before he evolved. Now I'm supposed to somehow revert this?

Adam's evolution was meant to save him, not make the situation even worse. Only it seemed like the kid never planned to become fully human again. No, the Void's influence ran too deep, and looking back, his Essence transfusions probably didn't help one bit.

What if it was all a mask? A way for me to give him more Essence? He scoffed, grabbing Adam's clawed hand and flinging him into the nearest wall. No! I refuse to believe that. That was my godson, not some Void puppet...

"So much power. All in the hands of a failure," the Apex picked himself off the ground, licking his bloody lips. "I can't wait to consume you and feast on your flesh. Give up, uncle. Be useful for once in your life and become a part of something greater."

Greater my ass. Leo dismissed his blades, Essence stirring within his soul. He couldn't let Adam's words affect him, no matter how true they were. Giving in meant the end, and he still had some hope.

"You can't win, kiddo. I'm stronger and more experienced. A few levels and a fresh evolution won't close the gap between us... So please, stand down."

Adam hummed. "How about no?" He giggled. "I can see you're tired, uncle, while I can do this all day... How long until you collapse? How long until your Essence runs out?"

Leo swallowed. "I can end it now."

"But you won't," Adam grinned. "After all," his eyes widened, their color shifting to their old green, "You wouldn't kill your brother's child. Right, uncle?"

"I will if you make me," he lied through his teeth, keeping a straight face.

Maybe if the boy never said anything, he could have done it. Deal with this before his guilt could escape the cage he had created. But once he heard Adam's voice, all hopes of putting an end to this horror suffered a horrible death.

He just couldn't do it. Not when he still believed there was a chance to turn it around, as small as it was.

"Liar," Adam snickered. "You will do nothing. Let me prove that!"

The boy dashed forward, cocking back his blade arm, its glow suddenly illuminating the entire chamber. When only a foot or two separated them, Adam slashed at the air, releasing a wave of sickly green fire.

Acting quickly, Leo raised his left hand, Valron Protection spreading across the limb. He grunted as the fire washed over it, the drain on his Essence increasing.

Should have tried to dodge. He leaned away from Adam's follow-up assault.

The boy tried to extend the attack and switch its direction, but Leo was faster. His tails and right hand lashed out, getting a good hold on his godson.

"Maybe I can't kill you," he muttered. "But I can knock you out."

Adam giggled. "You can try."

As you wish, kiddo. His still-burning fist rushed forward, finding the target right on the side of the boy's jaw. Free again, the child tumbled across the floor before coming to a halt, his form twitching.

Leo sighed, letting all his abilities fade away. He did it, but what now? He still had no idea how to help Adam, and knocking the boy out every time he woke up just wouldn't work in the long run.

Not to mention, this place will soon open to Nightmares, and I'm almo-

A sudden growl stopped his thoughts as the Apex stirred and climbed to his feet. The dark sheen over his body returned, its color shifting to a familiar green. The boy looked up, two pools of crimson replacing normal eyes.

Instantly, the boy was on him, every single attack releasing a weak wave of fire. Leo hissed as more than one flame landed on his skin. It didn't burn long, but still stung, weakening his hold over the caged bloodlust and rage.

'Leo! Fight back!' Nyx shouted, evidently getting through his blockade. 'I know you're hurting, but you must put an end to this. Please.'

I can't. Leo hissed, batting away Adam's fury. Maybe I can knock him out again. But kill? No, I just can't. I’m sorry. Not now, maybe not ever.

'Then don't. I searched through our memories for something to help you, and I think I got it. I just can't promise it will work.'

He almost let a single hit pass through his defense as his eyes widened. You know how to fix this?! Please, be quick.

'Wrong! I don't know how to revert this mess. As you are now, I only found a way to buy us time until we figure something out. It's risky but doable.'

He nodded absently. Of course, it couldn't be that easy.

Okay. Tell me what to do.

'Your Soul Well,' Nyx pointed out. 'It is capable of so much more than just storing objects. Nikra told you as much. If you can tap into its potential, then maybe it can become a prison for Adam.'

…Are you sure? He is powerful. Can my soul even hold him?

'I have no idea.' The feline's chuckle lacked any amusement. 'It's only a theory, nothing more.'

What if... Leo gulped, still defending from Adam's onslaught. What if I threw a bit of Takeover into the mix? Order him to go to sleep and then let go.

'I don't know, but it can't hurt to try at this point. Takeover's side effects are the last thing you should worry about now.'

I know... Will you help me?

Nyx's warmth somewhat soothed his troubled mind. 'Of course. Together. But we need to hurry. I saw cracks spreading over the safe zone's barrier.'

Their link opened wide, and the feline's consciousness melded with his. Half of the still available Essence surged out of his body, flooding the chamber with shadows, all under his command.

Adam tried to escape their grasp but had only so much space to move until the shadows swallowed him whole. They formed a cocoon around him, tight and unbreakable.

Forgive me.

Mind clear, Leo plunged his hand into the shadows, his two abilities igniting with a single thought.

Soul Well. Minor Takeover.

Even though he led the assault at the cocoon, he could feel Nyx's influence. Just like him, she tugged at the shadows, dragging them back in. At the same time, they led Takeover's spark towards Adam, trying to carefully connect it to him.

Minutes or maybe even hours passed in his head as the tug-of-war continued. The weight pressing down upon his soul got stronger and stronger, almost stopping the process. Yet, he held firm, grit his teeth, and pushed through every bit of pain that came his way.

He had to do this, even if it killed him...

Suddenly, something within his soul clicked, knocking the air out of him. Leo gasped, falling to his knees as his eyes landed upon the empty spot where Adam once stood trapped.

We... we did it. He coughed, feeling the walls in his mind crumble, shackles breaking.

'Yes, we did,' Nyx muttered, though her voice sounded anything but happy. 'Leo... Please get up. You need to hide. The Nightmares are coming. Please.'

He chuckled, a weak and hollow thing. I'm sorry, but it ain't happening. You know well why. I don't think there is a way out of this. It was all for naught in the end…

'I... Forgive me.. If only I did more... Rest now. Let it go, Leo… Until we meet again, friend.'

And so he did, letting the Inferno claim him.

Until we meet again.

.

.

.

Freedom!’

And that brings us to the end of book 2, or whatever I will call it once I decide to publish. Took a bit to get here, but I hope you guys enjoyed this slow drive.

Anyway, another important subject. The break... Yes, it's happening and will end on the 18th of March. After that, a few things will change, or rather two things.

Once I come back from the break, the schedule will change to three chapters per week (about 1.6k words) with the potential for more. What do I mean by that? It's nothing complicated, but it's also something that some people might dislike.

To make a long story short, I will create a goal of active paid Patreons to achieve. Once we reach it, I will move to 4 chapters per week both here and on Patreon (and then make another goal for 5). This way, if we don't reach this goal, I at least won't focus too much on AUOBE and have time to write other projects. I know some people might say it's scummy, but let me be honest here, even if writing is my hobby and passion, it doesn't pay the bills. I would like to write more and become a full-time writer, but I also can't survive on air alone. That's life and this plan is my way to see if it's even possible for me to move this career forward. If I can't, then well... we will see in the future.

That's it from me.

Have a good day/night.

17