Chapter 124. True terror
158 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Collector (LVL: 22) slain | Experience awarded | 61 Ether gained

Scouter (LVL: 19) slain | Experience awarded | 32 Ether gained

Collector (LVL: 21) slain | Experience awarded | 51 Ether gained

.

.

.

Collector (LVL: 23) slain | Experience awarded |66 Ether gained

Scouter (LVL: 21) slain | Experience awarded | 41 Ether gained

.

.

.

Scouter (LVL: 22) slain | Experience awarded | 44 Ether gained

The list went on and on, providing something close to probably a hundred kill notifications. The vast majority of them related to Nightmares, but somewhere in between the lines, a normal Voidling would slip in, not even providing any experience or Ether.

Not that it really mattered to Leo. The sheer number of Nightmares that died by his hand made those few normies insignificant. Even without checking his status or counting correctly, he knew his Ether should now be in the upper four digits. A fact quite overwhelming on its own, and yet it was far from the only thing waiting for him.

Level 20 reached. Racial attributes have been distributed. Please assign your 3 free attributes.

Congratulations! You have reached the final milestone of the incubation stage. Your connection with the System has improved from "Average" to "Full Power." Limiters released. Shop updated.

Limiters? Leo furrowed his brow. The rest wasn't hard to understand. Though, it was nice to see that, apparently, his 'tutorial' stage with the System had ended, whatever that even meant. The shop update could also prove useful — something to check out later.

Hold up. He almost paused mid-step. His focus returned to the first notification, confusion rising. Only racial? Where the hell did my class attributes go?

Just like expected, the System didn't answer. Leo let out a sigh, burying his rising frustration, and proceeded with the usual attribute distribution. His soul really needed as much help as it could get right now.

Alright, ne- Fuck!

Almost doubling over, he gasped as pain shot right through his soul. The mythical organ spasmed, slowly expanding, its power growing more than the few additional attribute points should allow for. And then it hit him...

Ascension.

Congratulation! Your Soul ascended past the Mortal Tier (50). Third Supernatural tier obtained.

Thanks to your Soul ascending to the Supernatural Tier, your Soul Well has expanded. Threat to the other pillars averted. Soul stabilized.

There were no new traits or skills nor any evolutions of existing ones. Yet even then, the surge of power alone made it up. Add to that the sudden relief as the phantom weight dropped from his shoulders, and Leo could easily say the pain he just had to endure was worth it.

"I'm fine." He muttered, waving off Nyx, who looked like she was seconds away from picking him up and carrying him the rest of the way. "Soul ascension. Just give me a moment."

The feline nodded and backed off, standing guard like a loyal dog. Leo snorted; he probably should never try saying that to her face. Or at least not now when getting punched again just might kill him...

He took a few deep breaths, slightly calming his speeding heart. At the same time, the energy in his soul settled, the pain fading away just like the weight did.

"All good now," he patted Nyx as he passed by her. She huffed and joined his side. Okay. Let's hope that's all the pain for today. What’s next?

Due to reaching level 20, your class is ready to advance. All missing experience and attributes will be granted upon finishing this process.

Oh... This would explain why almost a hundred Nightmares gave me only one level. Go on, System.

Each user is offered a selection of advanced classes depending on their past achievements and way of life. No user will be presented with more than three choices. Displaying available paths now.

Legacy Path:
Assassin advances into Master Assassin. Continue your fight from the shadows and embrace the path of a silent killer. Attributes per level: +5 Grace, +3 Vision, +2 Mind, +1 Soul.

Nightmare Path:
Assassin advances into Nightblade. The Night hides many horrors, and now you are one of them. Will you perish? Or will your blade take you to the top? Attributes per level: +3 Might, +4 Grace, +2 Vision and Mind, +3 Soul.

A third option didn't come, not that Leo needed it. The two paths before him were more than enough, and he just got that from looking at the attributes. Then there were the feelings as his mind touched each option, combined with flashes of memories that definitely weren't his.

The Master Assassin radiated calm and total control. A user of this class should never let an opportunity slip and always strike from the dark if possible. Fighting in the open was always the last resort, and rarely ended well when faced with an opponent that could match their speed.

In contrast, Nightblades fought with everything they had, embracing all emotions and channeling them into abilities. They struck from the shadows to gain advantage yet didn't give up when detected. Unlike assassins, they stood their ground, becoming a whirlwind of death, a nightmare for their enemies.

Intense. Leo summed up when the paths backed off, going silent as they waited for his decision. Not that he really had much to think about to make one.

As much as he enjoyed killing Voidlings before they even noticed him, a path like this just wasn't sustainable for him in the long run. He didn't always have time to prepare a perfect plan like a true assassin. No, sometimes he just had to improvise and fight through dozens of monsters.

Besides, he had no idea how a person focusing mostly on stealth could ever defeat the guardians within Nests alone. From his experience, it just wasn't possible. At least not until the assassin could somehow sneak past those beasts and then one-shot them.

No... He shook his head. Starting as an assassin helped me survive, but now it's time to follow a path that fits me better. A fighter who uses stealth to his advantage and not as something that defines him.

The System didn't need any further confirmation.

Acknowledged. Class changed to Nightblade. Distributing class attributes owed for advancing to level 20. Scanning for synchronization. Calibrating...

Thanks to stepping on a new path, your Cloud Walker trait has advanced. Congratulations! Night Terror trait obtained.

Night Terror (Rare)
You have followed the path of the assassins, perfecting their craft. Now, your choices have allowed you to step on the path of a true night terror. Become a nightmare for your enemies and a savior to your allies.
Effects:
Your movement becomes lighter and almost silent. Every stealth ability is now more effective. Grace Effectiveness: +15%. Might Effectiveness: +5%. All effects of this trait are doubled during the night.

Leo blinked. To think I just advanced this not that long ago. Good to know things can improve without a cooldown. Or if there's one, it's short.

On first look, the advanced trait didn't seem all that much better. But once he got to the last part of the description, the reason for its rarity became obvious.

It's like the System wants me to hunt at night. First Prime Night Hunter, now this class. If that ain't a sign, I don't know what is. He sighed. We will see if you get your wish...

Class advancement finished. Releasing the lock on stored experience.

You have reached level 26. Class and Racial attributes have been distributed. Please assign your 18 free attributes.

His eyes widened, and Leo tripped on his own feet. Only Nyx's quick reflexes saved him from falling as she slipped her tails around his waist and kept him up.

'Leo?' The feline tilted her head, a question written on her face.

"Twenty-six," he murmured. "I'm now level twenty-six. Just look at me."

'Oh...'

Leo let out a bark of laughter. "Yeah... 'Oh' sums it up quite well. I had a brain freeze after I saw it."

Still holding him, Nyx asked. 'Is that why you almost collapsed? I thought you just froze because the sudden increase in power overwhelmed you. I went through something similar when I received all the experience from your kills.'

"No. That was just shock… I have to assign my free attributes before the power comes."

Nyx grimaced. 'Then I shall carry you for the time being... With so many additional attributes, I can only imagine how painful it will be for you.'

Leo mirrored her expression as she settled him on her back. "Thanks for the voice of confidence, truly," he grumbled, voice dry as a desert. "Wish me luck."

Tuning out the outside world, he dived into his mind and began calculating. If he wasn't wrong, then no matter where he put the points, he should still achieve ascension on the two remaining attributes. That left him with complete freedom of choice, or at least it should.

In the end, Essence rules this new world... Yet this once, I want this choice to be made not out of necessity but because I want to.

So System... Give me more speed, more Grace!

Read 20 chapters ahead of RR now: https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65

The goal for 4 chapters per week instead of 3:

43/125 Active Patreons. I changed the goal a bit from tier only, to overall.

Discord: Land of Chaos

10