Chapter 125. Perfect
135 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pain exploded all over his body, soul, and mind. A fire spread everywhere, burning through his muscles, Essence, and even thoughts. Nothing remained safe as the System's power claimed his entire being, twisting and shaping it into something more.

The discomfort in his soul settled first, the average pool of Essence previously available to him expanding into a large lake. It might have been almost empty due to what had happened today, but that would change soon. Now, only the power in his grasp and its potential mattered.

The mind was the second to vanish the flames of despair. His thoughts were once more his own, and despite more pain still coming, Leo claimed the driver's seat again. Unlike the soul, his mind didn't change. Yet he instantly knew that even with his Essence reserves growing much stronger, he could still control them.

At last, his body also began to relax, the burning pain fading into an annoying ache. Even then, the process still took more time than any other. His senses returned to the new normal first, the constant blurriness disappearing from his vision. Just a moment later, his muscles also started listening to his commands, this time without the screaming.

Fucking hell. Leo cleared his throat, trying to get his motor functions under control. Never again. This was way too much power at once. Not that I can complain.

He really couldn't. Already, as he gazed upon the world around him, it seemed so much different than just a few minutes ago. Just by glancing at a simple crack in a wall, he could list every single detail about it. Hell, with his night vision, he even saw a bit of what was inside it.

Similar stuff happened to all his other senses, or at least those he could test at the moment. The sheer amount of information they now provided almost overwhelmed him, yet somehow, his mind processed it all. Maybe there was more to that attribute than just Essence control.

Alright. Notifications. I know you are there, so come. Better deal with you right away.

Congratulation! Your Vision ascended past the Mortal Tier (50). Fourth Supernatural tier obtained.

Thanks to your Vision ascending to the Supernatural Tier, your Voidborn inheritance is now fully active. From now on, your body passively detects Void Essence and absorbs it if possible. Your strength will now grow at all times, slowly bringing you closer to the next level.

This is it. Just like Hunter told me, it finally happened. Not that Leo had any idea how effective the passive growth was. He didn't really feel like he was absorbing anything, and any attempt at sensing this process failed.

Must be because I'm tired and my reserves are dry as hell. At least I hope so. He concluded, putting the issue away for later. As long as it made him stronger over time, he didn't need to know how it worked. Let's see... Still a few more to go through.

Congratulation! Your Might ascended past the Mortal Tier (50). Fifth Supernatural tier obtained.

There were no fanfares or special abilities for ascending Might, only a simple notification. A bit of disappointment stirred within him, but Leo quickly squashed it. Considering how shit the day was, he should be grateful that he survived.

Still working on that. He sighed, letting the final notification appear.

Due to achieving the first ascension with all your attributes, a special title has been granted.

Perfect Balance:
A special title awarded to all those who reached full first ascension without advancing to the next tier before doing so. May your pillars always remain in balance.
Effects:
All Effectiveness: +5%. Hostile Identify will fail if the enemy hasn't ascended to the Supernatural Tier at least once.

Title Perfect Balance assimilated into Nikra's Legacy. Effects combined.

Huh. Leo blinked a few times, making sure his improved vision wasn't playing jokes on him. Nope, still the same... Guess my issue with Identify solved itself. Nice.

With that, the last notification faded away, pushing him back into the real world. A world that had already taken so much from him. A world that would keep taking as long as he let it. No more.

I will be better. He shut his eyes, familiar faces flashing in his mind. For Nick. For Ava. For Adam. For myself... Adapt or die again.

Not moving from his spot on Nyx's back, he cleared his head, letting his body relax. If the feline minded, she didn't show it and just trotted onward, still keeping him safe with her tails. Maybe she knew he needed this moment; maybe she didn't.

Leo was grateful anyway.

Yet as time passed and the sun almost vanished behind the horizon, Nyx finally spoke up. 'We are close now. Do you want to...'

He slipped off her back, shaking his head. "Nah... I need to rest, maybe clean up a bit. They can wait until tomorrow." He patted her side. "Come on. Let's find a place to sleep nearby."


"A bit large, but I'm not complaining," Leo mused, sweeping his gaze across the hall they had just entered. Like the few warehouses in the area, somehow, this building also withstood the trial of the Void. At least it did on the outside; the inside was a completely different case.

While usually every building just had some of Vetilim consuming its interior, this place took it to another level. Huge machines that once were part of a production line lay in pieces, the Void's living matter entering them through every hole and crack. As a result, this entire place changed into some kind of a grotesque sculpture exhibition.

As long as they don't wake up to attack us, we're good. I've seen scarier shit. Leo shrugged, turning away from the machines. He headed for the only empty corner and dropped next to Nyx.

"Still can't believe those fuckers just ran out when they saw us," he said. "I get being scared of us and not attacking. But giving up their hideout? Really?"

The feline harrumphed, switching to lie on her side. 'Good for them. Killing them might not help us anymore, but I won't say no to a free meal.'

Of course, you wouldn't. Leo rolled his eyes, leaning against a wall. "Say... Could you show me what happened when I... you know?"

'Went on a rampage?' Nyx asked, and he nodded. 'I can, but are you sure it's a good idea? Don't you want to forget about that?'

A heavy sigh left his lips. "If I want to move on, I need to face it first... Besides, I want to know how I even defeated so many Nightmares. I'm so much stronger now, and I still doubt I can do it again. Not without Ruthless Efficiency."

She slumped. 'As you wish. Whenever you're ready.'

Leo took a deep breath and nodded. "Do it."

At once, his world shifted, colors changing until they settled on an image he remembered well.

The front of ReachHope's building, with Nightmares and other Voidlings surrounding it from each side.

For now, it still stood strong, yet that quickly changed when the memory began. Tendrils of shadows burst out of every single wall, transforming them into slices of Swiss cheese. A wave of pained howls followed right after, their source obvious as the building slowly collapsed.

Some Nightmares managed to escape the ruins, while others didn't have as much luck after another tendril latched onto them. Finally, the collapse ended, silence consuming the area as both Nyx and all the Voidlings watched the dust settle.

The break didn't last long.

A memory of Leo dashed out of the dark cloud, most of his body covered in shadows. With his appearance, the Voidlings moved into action, but some were too slow to react.

The bloodlust-driven Leo pounced onto them and cut their bodies into pieces as the shadows copied his every move. His sheer speed and amount of controlled affinity should have been impossible, and yet Nyx saw it all.

On and on it went, as memory-Leo prowled among the Nightmares with a ferocity unmatched by any other Voidling. With each second, more and more shadows stuck to his body, creating an armor that slowly made him larger than any beast on the field.

Nonetheless, oftentimes, a Nightmare managed to get past his defenses and rip a chunk of flesh and blood out of him. The shadow-clad Leo didn't seem to care and continued to fight like a berserker, regaining what he lost with each kill.

It reached a point where Scouters' air bullets did nothing to the dark armor, and they had to join Collectors on the front. A wrong choice to make as the moment they got close to him, shadow tendrils burst out of his back, killing and devouring the Nightmares on the spot.

How did those things have enough power to do that with a single attack? He didn't know, but he wanted to find out. Soon.

When it became apparent there could be only one winner in this fight, the memory cut out, flinging Leo back to reality.

He winced, massaging his head.

"What the hell was that?"

Spoiler

Early chapter today!

Read 20 chapters ahead of RR now.

Slowly getting closer to 4 chapters per week:

48/125 Active Patreons

Discord: Land of Chaos

[collapse]
8