Chapter 112. Another
247 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn't take long to move even closer to the police station once they left the ruined gallery. With Nyx and taken-over minions clearing the streets for the past twenty minutes, the trio barely had to fight anything. And even when a Voidling or two decided to take their chances, Leo just slaughtered them before a single screech could leave their throats.

As they walked, he constantly felt eyes on him, whether from Clara or Holden. There could be many reasons for their behavior, but he was pretty sure he knew what was going through their heads. After all, even with all his strength, clearing an area like this should be beyond him in such a short time.

Let them wonder. Leo chuckled internally as they turned the corner, the police station finally coming into sight. And so the show begins.

Right away, a figure moved on the station's roof, the top of their head barely visible behind a cover. At the same time, upon the barricade before the front doors, a man stood up, a rifle firmly aimed at them.

"Bloody fuckers really found bigger guns," Clara muttered next to him.

Moving a bit ahead of them, Holden commented, "Those won't last them for long. Our police force was never large. Sooner or later, ammunition will run dry, and they will have to fight just like the rest of us."

"Not even that," Leo huffed. "Give it another day or two, and most Voidlings will need entire magazines to take down. We are slowly getting closer to the point where everything will probably start evolving. I already fought against a few of those..."

"Bloody great," Clara grumbled, her shoulders slumping a bit. "As if it ain't hard enough already."

Leo shrugged. "That's how the world works now. You either get stronger, or you get left behind. By remaining weak, you're just asking to be eaten alive."

"Now that's something I could see Frank saying," the woman mumbled.

Just as Leo wanted to tell her to deal with it, Holden cut it. "Hold it. Please be quiet for now. I will do the talking."

Fine by me. I'm here mostly out of curiosity. He noted, letting Holden and Clara go ahead of him. If he didn't have to say anything during those 'negotiations,' he would be a happy man. Like that will ever happen...

"Stop right there!" The man atop the barricade called out when only a few meters separated them from the station. "What do you want?"

Guy has some balls at least. Though... Under the hood, Leo's gaze drifted toward the roof and one of the windows, where more people already appeared. They all had a weapon aimed at Holden, be it another gun or a bow. I can get out easily. Clara has a chance too with her attributes. Not sure about Holden. Really depends on their accuracy.

"Already forgot my face, Mark?!" Holden shouted back. "Did you hit your head during the last few days?"

Oho, didn't expect this from you.

"Screw you, Tony!" Even from this distance, Leo saw the man's face turning a tad crimson. "I know bloody well who you are. So spit it out or bugger off. We aren't working together anymore."

"That idiot never learns." Holden muttered under his breath before shouting out. "Quit your yapping and get Frank! I have an offer to make, and he will want to hear it."

Really... it's like hearing a completely different person speak. Must be some bad blood between them. Curious.

Mark scowled but brought down his gun. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Just don't fucking move from here. I have people watching. Ya hear me?."

With that said, the burly man disappeared behind the barrier. Like he said, the survivors atop the building and in the windows stayed put, ready to fire if anything happened.

How is it going, Nyx?

Instantly, the vision in one of Leo's eyes shifted, the front of the police station replaced by a live image of the same building from another side. It still felt a bit weird to see two completely different things at the same time, in various color palettes no less. However, thanks to Nyx's perspective, they now had most of the building covered.

'If they try anything, they won't even have time to react. I and your minions are waiting for your command.'

He smiled a bit. Let's hope it won't be necessary. I most likely already killed two of their people. I don't need any more of their blood on my hands.

'You worry too much about humans, Leo. I can understand caring about your family, but others? Not so much.'

It's not like I worry about them. He tsked, even as the thought seemed somewhat wrong for some reason. I just would rather not deal with the consequences of killing more of them... And I need Holden alive. He and his group can protect Ava and Adam when I'm away.

'Of course. Forgive me for assuming.'

No problem. Remember, even with all the memories you have, there is still much you have to learn. Hell, I do too... Anyway. Leo trailed off when a single metal sheet within the barricade moved, unlocking a passage. Here we go. Stay focused.

The first person to step through was Mark, a scowl permanently etched onto his face. He quickly stepped aside while fixing his grip on the rifle as another man appeared in the hole.

He looks familiar... Isn't he the guy I almost killed last time I was here?

Not that Leo had much time to ponder that, as another person stepped outside just a moment later. The new arrival was nothing like the two already waiting, and Identify quickly activated, working overtime to provide much-needed information.

Fallen Human | LVL: 11

So I'm no longer the only survivor in Wolford to evolve. Leo frowned, scanning the Fallen Human from top to bottom.

Overall, their build wasn't even different from that of a normal person. The man still had all the limbs and features of an average person. However, that was where the similarities stopped.

Black as night skin, tainted by deep red streaks, covered the man's body. His eyes glowed with a vivid yellow while the hair atop his head was gone, replaced by deformed skin. To make matters more interesting, Leo even noticed the lengthened and sharpened fingernails holding onto a sword at the Fallen's hip.

If this is Frank, I can see what Holden meant by the guy being more accepting of me.

"Well, well, well. Who've we got 'ere?" The evolved human spread his hands, a cheeky grin on his face. "Anthony fucking Holden knocking on my doors, what's the world come to? And with the lovely Miss Hess, no less." The man's eyes then shifted towards Leo. "I don't know you though. Why don't ya lose that hood of yours, mate?"

Yet Leo didn't move. He would let Holden play all of their cards today.

"Frank... I see you've chosen your path," the said man returned awkwardly.

The Fallen chuckled. "I told ya, didn't I? If we want to survive in this bloody hell, we must move on. Unlike your little band of misfits, I chose to do just that."

Yeah, this guy adapted much better than anyone I met until now. Not sure about his personality yet...

"Well, it definitely didn't fix your ugly mug," the only woman among them mumbled.

"Why, love? You wound me!" Frank mock gasped before displaying his hands. The fingernails suddenly extended even more as a crimson tint filled them. "Why would I give a toss about appearance when I can now slaughter almost everything out there without breaking a sweat? Don't be daft, Clara. You know damn well I'm right."

Interesting. Leo quirked a non-existent eyebrow, watching the exchange between the two. Another case of bad blood or something else?

"Dickhead," Clara growled.

Before the situation could escalate anymore, Holden stepped in. "Enough of those games. We came here for a reason."

"Aye, aye," Frank drawled. "Mark here told me you have an offer. It must really be something if it brought you here. And here I thought you didn't want anything to do with me anymore."

"Things change, especially now. So, I take you are willing to listen, yes?"

The Fallen smirked. "I wouldn't be chatting with you if I weren't. But first, I want to see what's under the hood of this bloke," he said, nodding at Leo. "It's not every day I get to meet another person who's already evolved. Honestly, I didn't expect you, Tony, to have someone like that in your group."

Leo frowned. Not gonna lie; it would be nice if there was a way to stop someone from identifying you. A thought for the future.

"Leo here isn't really a part of my group. We have an agreement of sorts, one that will extend to you and your people if you accept my offer," Holden explained before turning to him. "Leo. If you could."

Well... It's playtime. Be ready, Nyx.

Shrugging, he pushed his hands out of the cover of his cloak and swiftly removed the cowl on his head. At the same time, his three tails slithered from beneath the dark material, revealing almost everything he could.

The two regular humans in front of him tensed, their grip on their weapons tightening. However, the Fallen's eyebrows shot up as he muttered, "Oh my, my... I see why you two didn't even flinch when you saw me."

"On the scale of scary, you're not even in the top ten," Clara scowled.

"Of course, luv," Frank answered, not even looking at her. "How did you do it, mate? Already level seventeen and an evolution that must be far beyond the recommended one."

"A bit of luck and some unfortunate circumstances," Leo explained, leaving it at that.

"For sure," the Fallen whispered as his attention once more shifted to Holden. "Well, Tony, color me impressed. Now I really want to hear what you want from me. Come, no reason to stand in the open."

Leo exchanged a look with the others, and when the leader nodded, he sighed. Here went hoping that they could deal with this quickly and take care of other stuff.

Nyx. He called out while following behind Clara. As much as I don't want to say it, don't stay up there. I have no idea how long this will take, and we have no time to waste. Continue as you did before.

'Leo! You are going inside their nest. I should be getting closer, not farther.'

I will be careful and call you if anything happens. Besides, you can look through my eyes if you want... I want to get to at least level eighteen today, and if you just stay here, that just won't happen.

Nyx growled as their link trembled. 'If they try anything...'

Yeah, yeah, I know. You will tear them to pieces. Leo chuckled internally. Now go on. And do be careful yourself. Don't hesitate to sacrifice the minions if shit hits the fan. I can take over more later.

'Understood,' Nyx mumbled, her tone resigned.

And so, as their link went quiet, he entered the police station with only a single thought in his mind.

This is going to suck...

Read the end of Book 2 and six chapters of Book 3 now on my Patreon (Total of 15 chapters ahead of RR): https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65 Discord: Land of Chaos

18