Chapter 113. Reconnection
259 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The insides of the police station didn't seem much different from any other building consumed by the Void. Vetilim already flowed along the walls while the interior lay scattered here and there. The only unique part about this place were the golden torches illuminating the corridor.

They looked eternal, bright as the sun, and it only took Leo a moment to figure out what they were. Ether, crafted into light for survivors to use during their struggles. He didn't know how Frank's group obtained those, but thankfully, Clara voiced the question for him.

"Where did you get those?" She nodded to the nearest torch. "That's Ethereal fire — the same one produced by the flares."

"Spot on, love," Frank smirked at her. "One of mine found a seemingly useless job on the list. Lightfinder. And wouldn't you know, he can now craft all sorts of enchanted lights, flames, and the like. Quite useful, even if we are missin' material for anything more than this."

As they kept moving deeper into the building, complementing Frank's words, Holden spoke up. "And what about their properties? Same as the flares?"

"I bloody wish," the Fallen Human huffed. "All those torches are good for is providing light and giving normal Voidlings a bit of scare. You can forget about using those against Nightmares... Trust me, we checked."

Leo grimaced, the man's tone indicating how well that experiment ended. He just hoped they weren't dumb enough to face a Nightmare head-on just to test a damned torch.

"I'll take your word for it," Holden accepted with a tip of his head.

"Good." With that said, Frank severed to the right, leading them through a wide-open door. "Welcome to my humble abode. Make yourself at home. Although I fear there will be no refreshments," he finished with a wide grin.

They entered what appeared to be an office. However, Leo was using the term very lightly, considering the damage to the room. At least it has a table and chairs, so I guess it counts.

As Frank and the others settled around the makeshift table, Leo stayed a bit behind. His eyes roamed over the wooden crates scattered in the corners, weapons, clothes, and other items peeking over the edges.

Seems they are doing better than I expected. Though I still have no idea how many people are here. We didn't even see anyone on the way...

The urge to go ahead and use Hunter's Pulse grew stronger with each second, yet Leo held it in. Curiosity was one thing, but acting without thinking was another, even if he could make the pulse invisible.

"So!" Leo heard Frank declare and quickly looked at the man just in time to see him place a handgun on the table. "About that offer of yours, Tony. Let's hear it, and it better be good. Time is everything nowadays after all."

Alright then, Holden. Prove to me you didn't just waste my evening.

"I want us to rejoin forces," the man stated bluntly. "You have seen that things out there are only getting worse day by day. I said it before, and I'll say it again: there is strength in numbers. If we continue like this, more people will end up dead until there is no one left."

Frank raised a single eyebrow during his old friend's speech, the smirk falling off his face. "That's it? You came all the way 'ere to give me the same rubbish speech you gave me before?" He raised a hand to stop Holden from speaking again. "And just so you know. My answer won't change if yours doesn't change too."

Holden nodded. "I expected as much. That's why I am far from done."

"Go on."

"One of the reasons you left was our Safe Zone. You argued there is no reason to waste hundreds of Ether for something that will disappear anyway. This point no longer stands as thanks to our new friend here," Holden motioned to Leo, "we have acquired a permanent Safe Zone, one that won't bleed us dry of resources."

Frank leaned back in his chair, his gaze traveling to Leo. "Oh? And how did ya do that? My boys and I have been searching for a way to create one without storming a Nest."

Leo shrugged, still standing by the door. "Then I'm gonna disappoint you, as that's exactly what I did."

He could say more, explain the process and what happened inside the nest, but for what? Holden already knew all Leo deemed necessary to give, and if the man thought that Frank should have this info too, then that was his decision to make.

"You cleared a Nest alone?" The Fallen's eyes widened before he shook his head lightly. "My, my... If you're so capable, it makes me wonder how you even joined with Tony 'ere."

"I have my reasons," he replied, leaving it at that.

"That's fair. We all have secrets," Frank nodded and turned back to Holden. "Alright, you have my attention... But what about the freeloaders you refuse to deal with? Have you learned anything in the last few days?"

Even standing behind him, Leo noticed Holden's body tense up. Come on, I'm curious too. People who just hide inside a Safe Zone won't survive long. Hell, even Ava managed to reach level five despite Adam's situation.

"I'm willing to make some changes. To help people adapt… slowly," Holden finally gritted out. "But make no mistake, I won't leave anyone to die because they are scared."

"Even if they refuse everything you offer?"

Holden remained silent at the sudden question, fists visibly clenching under the table. The silence dragged on for so long that Frank growled, shooting to his feet and starting to pace.

"See?" He hissed, pointing at his friend. "This is the bloody problem with you! You want to be a fucking leader, but you can't make any hard decisions. Well Tony, wake the fuck up! This is the new world. Being soft all the time won't work here."

Holden stood up too, eyes narrowed. "I won't send people to their deaths, Frank! I won't be their executioner. No one deserves such fate just because they are not like you."

Frank sighed, dragging a hand across his face. "For fuck's sake, Tony. This isn't about me, but you! All you're doing is saving your own conscience. Understand that finally or the people in your care will suffer soon."

Suddenly, Clara stepped between the two men who were almost at each other's throats. "Stop it, you bullheaded idiots. Fighting again won't solve anything! We came here with a purpose, so let's focus on that."

What a shit show! Leo chuckled within the safety of his mind, watching as Frank huffed and dropped back into his chair. Holden followed soon after, still glaring at the other man. I can see why he told me that Frank is hard to work with. Those two are like water and fire...

"Bloody hell," Clara grumbled, refusing to sit down again. "Now that you two stopped acting like two dumb alpha males, why don't we get back on the track."

"You," she turned to Frank. "As much as I hate to say it, we need your help. The 'freeloaders' as you call them, among others, need protection on the way to the new Safe Zone. And before you say anything, they will be carrying supplies, so no. They won't be useless."

For a moment, only the tapping of Frank's fingers against the table filled the room. "Fine," he groused out. "We'll join you. We need a safe place to rest like anyone else... But I have conditions, and they are unnegotiable," the man finished with a glare.

Leo perked up, tilting his head as if to listen closely.

Answering the glare with his own, Holden replied, "As long as they're not outrageous, you will get what you want."

"Really? Then let's see. First, my group will remain mainly under my command. Second, my word will matter as much as yours or Diana's," Frank listed off, counting each thing on his fingers. "And third, I'm gonna be the one to whip those useless twats into shape. Sorry, but I don't trust you not to fuck it up."

"Anything else?" Holden pretty much growled.

"No, that's it," Frank smirked once more, obviously enjoying the other man's reactions. "But I will be sure to tell you if my terms change."

"Great," Holden muttered. "Then I will expect you and your group back at ReachHope as soon as you can tomorrow. The old Safe Zone won't last much longer, and we will need to make multiple runs to carry everything essential."

Frank nodded. "On that, we can agree. I also have some stuff ya all might find useful. We will try to bring most of it with us tomorrow. The rest can wait."

Leo's gaze once more wandered to all the crates. Despite what he had initially thought, Holden's group didn't have as many weapons as he hoped. Some supplies of the offensive kind could definitely help their new, growing community.

"See?" Clara spoke up. "Wasn't so hard, after all. Maybe if you two weren't acting all high and mighty in the beginning, we would be already transporting everything to the new place."

Frank snorted. "As if that would ever happen... Ya all needed an ugly monster — no offense, mate — to kick your arse into gear."

Leo shrugged off the jibe, choosing not to say that the Fallen wasn't much better looking than him. In his opinion, the man was even lower on the scale than him.

I might be biased though...


With the deal finished, Leo, along with the other two, left the police station behind. Clara and Holden barely said a word as they jogged back to the gallery. He let them keep their silence, at least until they entered their previous meeting spot.

"So Holden," he spoke up, leaning against a wall. "You pretty much got what you wanted. What's the plan now?"

The older man took a seat on a half-broken bench, his face relaxing ever so slightly. "Like I told Frank. I want to move everything in parts, including people."

"How many?"

"Tomorrow? Three or four trips back and forth at best. About a dozen civilians in every group with enough fighters to protect them," Holden explained. "After that? We will see what else we need from the old Safe Zone."

Leo nodded. "Adam and Ava? I can get them to the new site on my own. Might be even better this way."

"And I sincerely ask you not to do that, at least not right away. Just like with Frank and his group, we need help if anything stronger comes after us."

Acceptable reasoning, but... Leo admitted even as a frown spread over his face as he realized something. "You won't move them first."

Holden flinched. "I'm not doing this to hold them against you, Leo. I just want to prepare some space for Adam first, something safer than what we have now. And if it makes you feel better, we will transfer him and Ava with the second or third group if there is a need for a fourth run."

I don't like it, but at least he isn’t pulling reasons out of his ass. We both know how dangerous Adam can become if there is nothing to mitigate his rage. I won’t have him become responsible for killing survivors. We don’t need a complication like this. Not now.

Sighing, Leo nodded. "So be it." He turned to leave, only stopping at the exit. "I will drop by before the night falls. Stay safe on the way back."

As the duo's whispered farewells reached his ears, he stepped out in the open, taking a deep breath. A strong gust filled the street at the same time, forcing him to open his eyes.

The winds are picking up. He furrowed his brow, looking up at the sky dotted with dark clouds. Rain or something worse is on the horizon. And here I thought that the weather in the UK finally got better...

With a light shake of his head, Leo dropped the thought. Time to find Nyx and continue their task. He still had an hour or three to kill.

Read the end of Book 2 and nine chapters of Book 3 now on my Patreon.

Total of 17 chapters ahead of RR: https://www.patreon.com/Chaos65

Discord: Land of Chaos

15