Chapter 135. Graveyard – round 2
171 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Just as disgusting as I remember. Leo grimaced at the pieces of humans or Voidlings scattered everywhere. They barely entered the Graveyard, and he was already reminded why he hated this place. At this point, only one other matched the horror of this one, and he really didn't want to think about it.

'They are doing this just to scare away others from going any further. Otherwise, this is a waste of resources,' Nyx scoffed. 'As if anyone would voluntarily walk into a Nightmare's nest.'

He rolled his eyes. Of course, she would think about severed limbs or torn-out organs as resources. He was beginning to wonder if Hunter and the original Apex Shadow Claw didn't have more influence on her personality than Nikra.

Well, we're going in. What does that make us then? He asked instead, choosing not to focus on Nyx's bloodthirsty tendencies.

'Powerful... And a bit suicidal?'

Leo held in a snort. Of course. Why did I even ask… He shook his head, focusing on the path ahead. Alright, heads up. This is where things get really disgusting.

True to his words, a moment later, they left the mall's office area behind and stepped on the top floor. Just like he had remembered it, the entire building turned into a butcher's house, only in Void's style.

As expected, Vetilim and Corcera didn't go anywhere. However, taking a quick look around confirmed that the alien matter seemed to have developed to some degree. The same couldn't be said about the hanging bodies, as while still present, their number decreased by quite a bit.

The loss of so many must have hit them hard. Leo reasoned, stopping next to the tunnel leading to the lower floor. Nyx did the same while the two Soullings stayed a bit behind, their mismatched light illuminating the area.

'Like we thought, they're most likely rebuilding. Gather what they can while waiting for more Nightmares to be born,' the feline added, looking into the tunnel.

He hummed, the memories of what was underneath them still fresh in his head. Yeah... Makes me wonder if there is something more than just Phantoms being born down there. Last time, I barely had time to observe the second floor. Who knows what's going on beneath it.

'Do you want to go there?'

Leo shook his head instantly. Hell no. If those fuckers wake up with us on the second floor, that's no problem. We can escape. But if we go all the way down, they can cut us off. And I know... What we're doing is dangerous, but I still don't plan to fight another horde of Nightmares today.

'Understood,' Nyx nodded. 'Shall we then?'

He took a deep breath. Follow me. He then addressed his subordinates. Don't let out any sound. Don't move without my order. And stay in the tunnel until I call for you.

The two blobs of light bobbed their heads and floated behind him as they entered the tunnel with Leo at the front. Just like the rest of the mall, apart from a few more glowing Vetilim and Corcera veins, nothing changed.

Honestly, that's a good sign. Well, that and the fact that the Graveyard's corruption hasn't progressed to the next stage...

Within a few seconds, they reached the end of the tunnel, and he raised his hand to stop the march. Nyx still took a few steps forward, but apart from that, they didn't even place one foot on the second floor.

'They are all here,' the feline observed, her eyes darting around, trying to spot everything important through the opening. 'Your memory had a lot more of them here, though. The blow you've dealt must have hurt.'

True.

Not waiting for another response, Leo stepped onto the second floor. His steps were silent and measured as he weaved through the crowd of sleeping Nightmares. Like last time, they moved every once in a while but didn't wake up.

I still can't see their levels. He noted, Identify jumping from one Voidling to another. We're definitely stronger, and still nothing... Kinda weird protection to have.

'Yet another useful factor to scare everyone away,' Nyx said, her form slithering across the floor to his right. 'I'm beginning to think this might not be the System's work. It doesn't have a reason to obscure Nightmare's strength.'

You would know better about that than me... Though, as much as I hate to say it, it's not that bad. We still see their rank.

The feline let out a snort through their link. 'Rank is an inaccurate way to tell someone's strength unless you are in a higher or lower ranking. A level is still the best source of information.'

Alright, fair. Leo conceded the point as he stopped, signaling Nyx to do the same. We should spread out, see if we can find anything interesting. Just stay quiet, and we should be good. Keep in contact through the link.

'Understood. Be careful.'

You too.


To their disappointment or maybe relief, they didn't find anything apart from more Nightmares and corpses in the next thirty or so minutes. The second floor was completely the same as the one above, with the difference of having Voidlings sleeping here. Well, that and Phantom's creation...

In the end, the duo settled on locating the entrance to the first floor and leaving it at that. There was no reason to spend more time here than necessary, and they still had one test to run.

So this is it? Same shit as with Ameists? Leo narrowed his eyes at the seal blocking the entrance to the tunnel. There was only a small hole in the spiral of interconnected Vetilim and Corcera, and it was far from enough to get inside.

A Scavenger could fit through. Them? Not so much.

'We could force it open just like we did back there,' Nyx pointed out. 'However, I doubt it's a good idea. Unless you want to abandon your previous plan and just go for it.'

No. He turned away from the tunnel. Let's go back and get on with the testing. I had enough of this acursed place.

The feline nodded and trudged behind him as they returned to the other tunnel where the Soullings were waiting. With a few quick orders, the Voidlings slowly floated out and positioned themselves behind Nightmares.

What are the odds they all wake up as soon as one of them dies? Leo glanced at his companion.

Nyx gave him a blank look. 'Do you really need to ask?'

He chuckled in the safety of his mind. No, not really. I just wanted to check if we're on the same page and realize this will go to shit soon.

The feline didn't bother to answer, choosing to put more intensity on her stare. Who could have known she wouldn't enjoy staying at the Graveyard for too long.

Leo sighed. Anyway... If we're gonna run away, let's at least get something out of this. Do you think you can decapitate a Collector with a single hit?

Nyx furrowed her brow in a way only a cat could. 'Yes, I think I can. Why? You want to kill a few on our way out?'

That's the plan. So what do you say?

'On your mark.'

Smiling, Leo found a group of three Collectors huddled next to each other and assigned Nyx to them. Next, he found a group for himself, a slightly larger one, and activated his blades. The black flash of Kiss of Death followed right after.

You two! Once I say 'now,' you'll attack the Nightmare before you with all the power you have. Drag their souls out or die trying. Be ready.

He didn't wait for any sign of acknowledgment and positioned his blades above the Nightmares' necks. The same went for his tails, which settled right before other Voidlings' heads.

Okay. Leo glanced at Nyx.

Ready?

The feline nodded.

Then three. Two. One. Now!

Like one unit, they all descended upon their chosen targets, eight bodies dropping to the ground a second later. They never stood a chance when faced with a surprise attack from two stronger beasts.

Yet, not everything went according to the plan.

The two Soullings attacked as ordered, but the moment their transformed arms speared the Collectors' hearts, they didn't die. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As the entire Graveyard woke, alerted by the deaths of their kin, the two Collectors stood up and roared at the Soullings. Leo's minions didn't waver, but no matter how hard they tried, their arms just wouldn't come out of the Nightmares' bodies.

So a soul's strength also matters. Or strength overall. Leo noted, already sprinting toward his subordinates.

He was too late.

The Nightmares plunged their hands into the Soullings and ripped them apart despite their almost complete invulnerability to physical attacks. The Collectors roared in victory, but it was cut short as Leo pounced and finished his minions' job.

He didn't look behind at the falling bodies and just sprinted towards the tunnel, Ether flare igniting in his hand.

Run!

Pursuit in progress.

6