Chapter 140. Icy winds
95 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Race: Voidling | Subspecies: Spitfire
Expected Potential: F+ to E
Weapon of choice: Jaw, Tail
Known weaknesses: Essence reserves, Fragile bones
The most common evolution of the Seeker line. Although not much different from their predecessors, Spitfires's hit-and-run tactics ascended to another level thanks to their ability to shoot Essence projectiles from their tails. Additionally, their size and swarm attacks can easily overwhelm any smaller target. It is advised to face Spitfires only if you possess long-range fighting capabilities.
~ New entry in Leo's Bestiary


Leo didn't even acknowledge Nyx's jibe and just dived off the road, right into the Voidfied forest on their left. The feline sill followed a moment later, and he had to hide his smirk when a surge of curiosity went through their link. She could say whatever she wanted, but they both knew the constant running was getting quite dull.

'Do you have an idea where it's all coming from?'

Remember that last crossroad? He asked, sparing Nyx a quick glance, to which she nodded. Right. So, a few years ago, there was just a straight road there leading to a small town of about five thousand. Then, some higher-ups got mad with the traffic it generated, as it was the only good road towards London, and they decided to create a bypass. Which is the path we have been using before.

The feline hummed. 'So it seems that not all villages are as dead as we had thought. Or at least not yet...'

Leo grimaced. They had passed quite a few tiny towns, but none of them showed any signs of normal life. Hell, the Voidlings there were so bored that they had been fighting among each other rather than against survivors. Which painted a pretty disturbing picture.

Just how long ago did all the people there die? Were there any in the first place? Would it be like that everywhere they went?

Apparently not. He shook his head, pushing those morbid thoughts away. Let's hurry, or this place will become yet another ghost town. Who knows, we might be able to steer them towards Woldford. I'm sure Holden could use a couple more capable people.

Nyx snorted suddenly as they continued to run among the trees. 'I think you're forgetting about something.'

Raising an eyebrow, he shot her another look. Oh?

'You're no longer human, Leo,' she sighed heavily. 'What makes you think those people will even listen to you. I wouldn't be surprised if they just attacked you on sight. This isn't Wolford.'

Leo's steps faltered, almost making him stop. Shit, you're right. I got so used to Holden's group that I forgot how other people will most likely act around me. My bad.

'So what now?'

Nothing. He shrugged, still moving onward. I still want to check this place out. Let's just find those making the noise and go from here. They might not need our help after all. There are no more screams, only gunshots.

'As you wish,' Nyx replied, their link going silent.

In a matter of seconds, they pushed past the dense forest foliage, leaving it behind. Up ahead, the remnants of an old town releveled themselves, yet it was far from regular sight even for the Void consumed Earth. A new System notification only proved that much.

Warning! You are nearing Tainted Wasteland: Ice. Threat asserted and ranked at level E+. Good Luck. Mutation: Tainted Corruption (Ice) added to the Mutation Index.

Ah shit... Leo cursed, taking in the view ahead. Of course it has to be another bloody Wasteland. And E+? Just how big is this thing?

Unlike the scorched earth in Wolford, the landscape here bore a blanket of frost on almost every surface. Even the ground was completely frozen, the dark blue, almost purple ice shimmering in the sunlight. Add to that, scattered throughout were various ice clusters painted with blood or other unknown substances.

'As beautiful as it's disturbing,' Nyx commented, sitting next to him. 'Those frozen armor plates can become problematic on the stronger Voidlings.'

Yeah. Leo muttered, scanning the monsters walking at the edge of the town. They, just like the rest of the area, changed their appearance to fit the theme of this Tainted Wasteland. Let me check what we are stepping into.

Tainted Corruption:
A mutation of Essence origin directly connected to the existence of Tainted Wastelands. It affects the three main pillars, boosting their overall capabilities by a small margin. Additionally, depending on the aspect of Tainted Corruption, the affected will gain more unique benefits. While creatures with this mutation rarely leave their Tainted Wastelands to not lose their connection to its aspect, it is essential to note that an encounter with Tainted Voidlings outside those areas is still possible. This occurrence is attributed to the presence of Tainted Survivors who cannot halt the spread of their curse.

Discovered Subcategories:
Void: The most popular Tainted Corruption. It doesn't grant any additional abilities except for increased strength, durability, and speed.
Ice: One of many elemental Tainted Corruptions. Grants increased durability, as well as ice armor plating to those affected. Some Voidlings might also display limited manipulation of said element.

Alright. Not as bad as I thought. Leo sighed just as another burst of gunshot filled the air. Well then, let's see what the hell those people are still doing here. Even from here, I can bet this Wasteland has already consumed most of the town.

'Lead the way then. This was your idea,' Nyx grinned, her tails swishing wildly behind her.

He snorted. "Of course..."


Sticking mainly to the rooftops, they managed to scout the town within minutes, killing a Voidling here and there. For the most part, Leo's prediction came true, and somehow, this Tainted Wasteland had already consumed about ninety percent of the city. It painted a horrifying picture, one that became even more scary once they saw some of the creatures walking through the streets.

Cursed Screamers, Reapers, Brutes, and even some Apex variants. To make matters worse, this tiny town was home to at least four Cursed Juggernauts, one of which led Leo and Nyx here.

Why are they still fighting? I thought I had a death wish, but this? This is madness. He shook his head, watching the battle at the edge of the Tainted Wasteland.

For some reason, a group of seven humans — all at least above level fourteen and already evolved — was fighting against an ever-increasing horde of Voidlings. They seemed to be handling themselves quite well, but with the Cursed Juggernaut chasing one of them around, that could change very fast.

A single clean hit was all the beast needed to turn the tide of this battle. Hell, if it decided to switch its target at a random moment, it could finish the fight within seconds. The massive monster was an E rank, after all.

'Agree, but you have to admit. Despite being humans, they're quite impressive,' Nyx commented as the spectacle continued.

Essence flashed all around the battlefield as the survivors utilized everything to gain an advantage. From all kinds of projectiles to shields of pure energy and skills that enveloped their bodies or weapons. As Nyx said, they were impressive.

Not for much longer though. Leo grimaced, spotting three Brutes and a pack of normies slowly approaching in the distance. If there was ever a time to interfere, this is it. Think you can handle the three meatheads and their minions?

The feline huffed, shadows sneaking out of her body. 'Of course, I can. What kind of question is it?'

He chuckled, the Blades of Chained Inferno slipping into his hands. Glad to hear that. I will handle the Juggernaut then. Also, don't try to hide. There is no point. They will see you anyway.

'Got it,' Nyx nodded. 'Good luck.'

You know. He smiled. This one time, I just might need it if I want to end this without any unnecessary bloodshed.

Cursed Juggernaut (Tainted Voidling) | Rank: E | LVL: 19 | Type: Surface, Regenerator, Might, Special, Ice

Fucker will be stronger than a Collector once it reaches level twenty. I have no idea what's going through their heads to even try fighting this thing. Leo grumbled, speeding across the rooftops to reach a better position. At least their little runner is doing a good job of avoiding it. The question is, how long can he last?

Doesn't matter now. He shook his head, gripping the dull edges of Chained Inferno. Even without proper handles, he could make it work. Hopefully, the blood fire would go a long way against the ice armor plates scattered over the Juggernaut's naked body.

Leo took a deep breath and waited for the human to make another circle around the area and bring the monster right underneath him. Even if he doubted it, he just might be able to finish this fight with one well-executed move.

Don't let it hit me, and be quick. I bet it can kill me faster than a Collector if it catches me.

Reinforcement surged into his muscles while Bloodlust escaped its cage, filling his veins with raw rage. Kiss of Death enveloped the blades in his hands, and their fire poured out a moment later, drowning the entire weapon in flames.

Well... A bloodthirsty grin found its way onto his face. Let's Hunt!

6