Chapter 2. The Beginning of the End
1.8k 5 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’ve been waiting for eons. Plotting, preparing, and building up my forces. When I felt the link form, I knew that the time finally had come, the perfect opportunity. It would take time, I knew that, but soon the day would come when I finally escaped this prison of mine and let my rage burn the world HE created... By the Void, what a wonderful day it will be.”

~ Unknown, Ediovr, ages ago


In the end, Leo’s run might have taken a bit too long. The moment he rushed back inside his house, he had barely ten minutes to spare before the meeting.

No more all-nighters or waking up at one pm, Leo growled as he jumped under the shower and in a record time cleaned himself of all the filth that gathered on him during the day.

Looking in the mirror, Leo rolled his gray eyes when he noticed that just like always his short hair somehow managed to look like shit after a shower. With no time to fix the mess, Leo just ran a hand through his hair a few times and went to put his clothes on.

The doorbell echoing through the house crushed any hopes of being ready in time. Leo cursed and quickly shoved the clean shirt over his head. This one time you just had to be on time. Someone up there really hates me.

Dashing towards the sound, Leo swung the door open, his gaze hardening at the sight of a tall man with short graying hair. The two men standing at opposite sides were almost the exact copies of one another. The only difference was Leo’s slightly shorter stature and a bit softer facial features.

“Leo, how ar...” The man stopped suddenly, taking notice of Leo’s disheveled state. “Is it the wrong time? We can reschedule if you’re busy.”

Coloring a bit, Leo scowled, “Nothing like that Edward, my run just took a bit longer than expected. Come in.”

Ignoring Edward’s slight grimace at the use of his name, Leo waited for the man to put away his coat before leading him into the living room.

“I’m afraid, I can’t offer you anything to eat. Like I said, I was running a bit late. Still, I can do coffee or tea,” Leo offered, barely sparing the man a glance.

Edward waved him off, “Not a problem. I already ate, though I will never say no to coffee, I had a long day.”

Try a long week, Leo grumbled internally with a sigh as he entered his kitchen through the doorless archway and thanked whoever designed the house that Edward couldn’t see him from the living room.

Taking in a few calming breaths, Leo leaned against the fridge and closed his eyes. Come on, you just promised Lily that you would at least try. Don’t take your annoyance out on him when he didn’t even deserve it.

Finally, the coffee machine buzzed and Leo quickly poured two full cups. Taking a deep breath, he wiped the small frown away and went back to the living room.

“Here you go,” Leo murmured, passing over the coffee and taking a seat across the small table.

A slightly uncomfortable silence fell upon the room as the two sipped their drink. Leo might have decided to go a bit easier on his father, but it didn’t mean that he would start the conversation. Not when they didn’t see each other for almost a month.

Thankfully after a minute or two, Edward broke the silence, “I see you still didn’t change anything in the house,” he said, glancing at the brightly colored walls and slightly outdated furniture.

And indeed, ever since Leo received this house from Edward half a year ago, he did nothing to alter its general interior. Well apart from a few small changes to his bedroom and kitchen.

Not giving any emotion away, Leo gazed at the cup in his hands, “Why would I? Mom always loved everything here. It helps me remember her. To touch anything would destroy the memories I have.”

“I’m glad,” Edward replied, chuckling lightly. “When I bought this house and gave Melania free reign on designing the interior, she went all out. We never did any big renovations when we lived in the US so this became her real playground. Though I still think that those colors don’t mix well with each other.”

Leo shrugged, “I like it.” Although maybe ‘like’ was a bit too strong of a word. Rather it could be much worse. Besides, some childish part of Leo still wanted to disagree with everything Edward said. Old habits die hard…

“Whatever suits you,” Edward replied and almost instantly went for a change in the subject.

The man definitely could read the room better than most people Leo knew. Any attempt at even mentioning Leo’s deceased mother ended either in an argument or a very quick finish to their meeting.

“How is your work going? I couldn’t get a hand on your stories in the past few weeks.”

Good choice, Leo mused as he couldn’t stop the small smirk that formed on his face. He took pride in his accomplishments. Especially when just a few years back his future looked quite bleak.

As such Leo just leaned back and replied casually, “Good, very good. The editor says that if I continue like that, I might get a promotion soon.”

“You deserve it, Leo,” Edward smiled. “You worked hard. However, I’m sure that the little Hale hellion was also the main factor in your success. I have never taken you for a writer in the past.”

Because you don’t know me, Leo wanted to say but stopped at the last second. No need to make this conversation even worse than it already was.

“I can’t deny that,” Leo instead replied stiffly. After a month without a meeting, he almost forgot how hard it was to carry on a normal conversation with his father. It sometimes reminded Leo of a dance, a dance on a field full of landmines. Step on one and the entire meeting could go up in flames.

Just calm down and try, Leo repeated while another part of him, the one he had been trying to kill for years, instantly objected. Why should I? He didn’t care when I needed him. He didn’t even care to speak with me, before leaving for years.

It was always the same thing, two sides constantly waging war against each other. One fueled by Lily’s persistence and the desire to have his father back. While Leo’s deep resentment, stubbornness, and ability to hold a grudge sparked the flames of the other side.

Still, I promised.

And so Leo extended the olive branch. Probably the first and, depending on how well the rest of the conversation went, the last one.

“So where have you been for the last month,” Leo offered. “I got your notice saying that you had to cancel our meetings, but it didn’t explain why.”

Edward winced. The last part definitely came out like an accusation, Leo didn’t even have to try. Way to put a foot in your mouth… Stubborn fool.

“I’m sorry. I should have called you,” Edward’s shoulders slumped. “I had to leave out of the blue. My company needed someone to finish a few deals with contractors in the US and the responsibility fell on me. For almost two weeks I was constantly in meetings or planning things through phone calls. God knows why I even agreed to go…”

That explained a lot. Edward was just as passionate about his job as Leo was when he first began. In addition, from what Leo gathered from his foster parents, the man used his job as a way to deal with problems. Not healthy, but Leo couldn’t fault him, not after everything he did in the past.

Wait a second, Leo’s eyes narrowed. “Two weeks?”

Edward sighed, probably expecting the question, “I finished the last deal in Colorado, quite close to our old home.”

Oh…

They never talked about the small house they left behind in the US. Not before the accident and definitely not after. To hear Edward mention it now was surprising to say at least.

Leo sighed, eyes closed. His mind traveled back to those better times when they still lived in the US. Back when his mother always waited for him to come back from school. Back when his biggest worry was homework. Back when his mother was still alive…

Eyes opening, Leo’s gaze instantly snapped towards a small dresser where a lone photo sat.

An image of a short blond-haired woman, smiling widely towards the camera, stared back at him. Her deep blue eyes shone with love as she gazed at the small child of ten in her arms.

Leo blinked when he felt something wet travel down his cheek. Why now?

It had been a while since he went down such a memory lane and Leo definitely didn’t plan to continue it now. Not when Edward was just a few meters away.

Quickly wiping the lone tear, Leo cleared his throat. “I thought you sold the house,” he stated, his voice barely a whisper.

Edward looked like he wanted to address Leo’s previous reaction, but thought better of it. They both knew that nothing good would come out of that conversation.

“Just like with this house, I couldn’t. It just stood there empty. Degrading with every year of unuse.” Edward replied, taking another sip of the coffee that was probably already cold at this point.

“You know, I never found enough courage to go back. Not when it held so many memories,” he continued, staring at an empty space. ”But when I was so close I just told myself, ‘It is now or never, you probably won’t get another chance’.”

Leo stilled. This conversation was becoming a bit too emotional for his liking. Even then, not once did he try to stop Edward from continuing. No, Leo had to know what made his father stay. Besides, the man talked like he was in some sort of trance.

“When I arrived there, the house was barely habitable. I should have gone back in that moment, but I didn’t,” he chuckled. “Instead I called some time off work and just tried to fix that mess.”

Edward stopped, but Leo wanted, no, he had to know more. “Why?” Only a single word and yet, it had the power to unravel so many secrets.

The man refused to meet Leo’s gaze, “Because, son, for the first time in years, I found a place that felt like home. A home that I didn't want to leave.”

What?

Leo’s eyes widened slightly, he didn’t realize that his father had such a problem. He thought that Edward found a new place to call home a long time ago, just like Leo did with his foster family.

Apparently he was wrong. Very wrong.

And just like that, a realization hit Leo like a herd of running bulls. “You’re moving there.” It wasn’t a question, only a pure statement. A statement that they both knew to be true.

If Edward previously refused to meet Leo's gaze, now he outright avoided even looking in his direction.

“I’m sorry,” Edward uttered, his head hung low. “It might seem like I’m abandoning you again, but I have to do this. Please know that there will always be a place for you there. After all, it’s your home too.”

Leo barely held his scowl while his fists clenched under the table. Not because Edward was leaving once again. Hell, anyone who knew the man understood that he deserved a chance to move on. Just like Leo did.

No, what made his blood boil was the fact that Edward still couldn't say it to Leo’s face. Just like always. Running or hiding away when the situation became too heated.

Stubborn fool, I might be. But you father, you’ll always be a coward.

Leo sighed, the heat of the moment evaporating like boiled water. What was the sense of raging over something he knew for years? Why did it always hurt the same?

“I understand,” Leo stated, refusing to say more.

And so they just sat there. Leo tried to drill holes in his father with the power of sight alone, while Edward’s gaze refused to move even an inch away from the empty cup. Leo attempted to say something, to maybe finally put an end to their decade-long issue, but he couldn’t.

Each time, his mouth opened, words refused to form. The nagging of his mind just wouldn’t let Leo do what had to be done. Edward should be the one to put an end to this. Not me.

Once again, the past had defeated common sense.

Maybe it’s for the best. Leo snapped his gaze away from Edward and tried to find anything to occupy his thoughts with.

It was not to be as Edward’s movement caught his attention again.

“I think it's time for me,” the man announced as he stood up. “Do you mind if I use the bathroom before I go?”

Of course, you would run, Leo masked the shake of his head with a nod. “You know the way.”

As Edward disappeared into the corridor, Leo squashed the urge to punch the table with all his might and just mechanically collected the empty cups.

In the end, maybe we’re both cowards, father. Scared of confronting our fears. Worried that if it doesn’t work then our relationship will break just like it did all those years ago. Leo sighed as he entered the kitchen. After all, it’s better to keep what we have now, no matter how bad it is, than risk losing each other again.

Absently, Leo put the cups into the dishwasher and leaned on the counter, right in front of a window. He took a few deep breaths and tried to clear his mind, just like after each meeting.

His thoughts might have raged like a tornado inside his mind, but even that couldn’t stop his eyes from widening just a bit as his gaze stopped at a particular object.

“What, the…” He muttered and leaned forward, thoughts halting for a second.

There in the sky, a small orb of dark red light hung. As if awakened by Leo’s gaze, it expanded, slowly consuming more and more of the cloudless sky. Its conquest didn't stop there. Instead, the light turned towards the Earth, slowly descending like a vengeful angel.

Eyes wide and heart hammering in his chest, Leo could do nothing but gasp as the light slid through the walls like a ghost and engulfed everything around him. Nothing was spared.

He fell to the floor, twitching and screaming as something invaded his body, burning him from the inside out.

Through the pain, Leo heard more screams pierce the air. They were muffled, barely audible. Leo didn’t know where they came from, nor did he care. Not when his mind refused to focus on anything other than the red light and the inferno that threatened to consume his whole body.

Leo didn’t know how long he thrashed on the floor, howling like a madman and probably losing his voice in the process. But when the pain disappeared like it was never there, he had eyes for only two things before the world went dark.

The dark red light that fell through the kitchen window and a few lines of text hanging in front of his vision.

Universe No. 435 collapsed.

The First Cataclysm of the 64th Outbreak is beginning.

Survivor of the 237th Universe, prepare yourself.

 

65