White as Jade
86 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey Everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to have an open and honest conversation with you, my wonderful readers, about something that's been on my mind.

Life's been throwing curveballs my way, and it's been quite a ride. I've been pursuing a dream, writing novels, while also juggling the demands of a challenging job that I love and enjoy. In my country, making ends meet is no walk in the park.

Recently, a lifeline appeared in the form of a contract from Webnovel for one of my novels. I did some digging and found mixed reviews from authors who've gone down this path. Some have had positive experiences, while others spoke of shady clauses and uncertainties.

But here's an idea I'd like to explore: What if we took a different route? What if I offered exclusive access to chapters on my Patreon for a tiny monthly subscription instead of asking you to pay hefty fees on Webnovel?

I'm hesitant, though. I don't want to lose the readers who've been on this journey with me. Your support means the world to me, and I don't want to take that for granted.

So, I'm turning to you, my fellow authors and cherished readers, for advice. What path should we take together?

Option 1: Join Our Patreon Family

Exclusive access to chapters through our Patreon page and to our Discord.
Support my creative journey with a tiny monthly subscription.
Enjoy early access to chapters and other surprises(like Character Art), all while helping me reduce my workload and write more.

Option 2: Stick with Webnovel.com

Continue reading on Webnovel.com, though it may involve some costs and terms I'm uncomfortable with.

Option 3: F*ck this shit, I'm out!

If neither option works for you, and you have a better idea or a different perspective you would like to share with me.

Your opinions will always be at the heart of my decisions, and I want you to know that your love, time, and support have made this journey and novel incredibly special for me. Please, let me know how you'd like to move forward together.

Warm and heartfelt regards,
Knittedturtle

Zhao Wenhua went out to call someone, while Zhao Ce stayed in the inner room, eating two pieces of pastry and sipping some tea. The pastries were delicately made and adorable. Zhao Ce thought to himself that he would have Zhao Wenhua pack a portion to take home for the little girl there to taste.

Just as he was thinking about it, voices suddenly came from outside the door, approaching the inner room. Soon, the door to the inner room was pushed open, and a young man dressed in fine clothes, holding a paper fan, walked in. Behind him were several students dressed similarly. When the young man saw a farmer dressed in ordinary clothes inside the room, he paused for a moment and then said somewhat displeased, "Tsk, who is this? How can a farmer be allowed into the inner room?"

The waiter who came after them quickly explained, "Young Master, this is our restaurant manager's cousin. He said he wanted to talk to our manager about something." Hearing that he was the cousin of the restaurant manager, the person addressed as Young Master's expression improved. This person was Chen Shaofeng.

Seeing Zhao Ce inside, he asked the waiter next to him, "What are they talking about?" The waiter scratched his head and said he didn't know. Zhao Ce, who was already standing up inside the room, calmly looked at the group of people. The people behind Chen Shaofeng also glanced inside. One of them, upon seeing Zhao Ce, curiously said, "Isn't this Zhao Ce, the one who exposed those fake monks in front of Young Master Zhao's residence that day?"

Upon hearing Zhao Ce's name, the others also became interested and craned their necks to get a better look at Zhao Ce from outside the door. Zhao Ce felt somewhat displeased being stared at by others all of a sudden. Chen Shaofeng, upon hearing that it was Zhao Ce, originally intended to go to another private room, but now he became interested and walked in directly with his people.

He straightforwardly asked, "Are you Zhao Ce?" Zhao Ce nodded. Chen Shaofeng then curiously scrutinized him, saying, "You don't look like the rumors. I heard you, a farmer, are fond of women and have poor academic performance. You were even expelled by the teacher because of it. But looking at you now, you're nothing like the rumors. It seems those rumors circulating in the streets are indeed unreliable..." Zhao Ce tugged at the corner of his mouth in response. This Chen Shaofeng seemed to have a good heart, but his mouth was really asking for a beating.

Inside the room, the situation was awkward. Zhao Wenhua had already come over with pen and paper. Seeing Chen Shaofeng, he quickly asked, "Young Master, why have you come?" Chen Shaofeng pointed to the classmates behind him and said, "He Gongzi said his family obtained some white sugar and wanted to bring it out for our restaurant's chef to make pastries for us to taste." After hearing this, the person named He Gongzi's chest puffed up proudly.

In his hand, he held something and showed it to everyone. "Have you ever seen pure white sugar before, as white as jade?" Chen Shaofeng gave him a disdainful look. "Quickly open it and let us take a look." He Gongzi smilingly opened it for them to see. "This white sugar is precious." "My father received a small bag from Wu Yuanwai as a gift." "There's nowhere else in the whole city to buy it."

Everyone gathered around, craning their necks, looking at the white sugar in his hand. "Wow, it's real..." "It's so different from the black and yellow sugar sold in the shop." After showing it to everyone, He Gongzi put it away again. Proudly, he said to Chen Shaofeng, "See, I didn't deceive you, right?" "But we can't use up all this white sugar." "You should find your best chef and I will personally instruct him."

Chen Shaofeng rolled his eyes. "It's just a little white sugar, don't overestimate yourself." After saying that, he had someone take them to another private room. Seeing the pen and paper in Zhao Wenhua's hand, he curiously asked, "Are you going to sign a contract?"

Zhao Wenhua glanced at the cloth bag on the table. It was at least several times bigger than the one in He Gongzi's hand. He didn't say anything, just smiled and said, "Young Master, yes." Chen Shaofeng nodded. "Alright, I won't delay you." After saying that, he left.

Zhao Wenhua apologized to Zhao Ce, saying, "Did the Young Master trouble you just now?" Their Young Master always spoke straightforwardly. If he wasn't the son of Old Master Chen, he would have probably been beaten to death long ago. Zhao Ce smiled and shook his head.

"No." "Let's sign the contract." Zhao Wenhua also felt relieved. After writing the contract, the two of them signed it together. Watching Zhao Ce sign his name on the paper with a flourish. Zhao Wenhua praised, "Your handwriting has improved a lot compared to before."

Zhao Ce looked embarrassed for a moment. He made up on the spot, "There hasn't been much to do at home recently." "So, I've put a lot of effort into practicing calligraphy." "Now I can say I've made some progress."

After hearing that, Zhao Wenhua sighed and said, "Experience is gained through hardships." "Don't worry about the school, I'll find out about it for you."

Zhao Ce smiled and said, "Thank you, Brother Wenhua." After signing the contract, Zhao Wenhua stamped his shop's seal. Three copies were made.

One for Zhao Ce.

One for their restaurant.

And another copy is to be filed at the yamen.

The weight of the white sugar was also measured, and it was directly converted into its price. Zhao Ce received another four taels of silver. Once everything was settled, Zhao Ce asked Zhao Wenhua if he can pack up the leftover snacks.

Zhao Wenhua paused for a moment before smiling and said, "Sure." "I'll have someone pack it up for you." As he spoke, he instructed someone to pack up the leftover snacks and even brought a new portion. Zhao Ce wanted to pay, but Zhao Wenhua refused to accept the money. He directly escorted Zhao Ce out of the restaurant.

Zhao Ce couldn't help but say helplessly, "Brother Wenhua, aren't you paying for these snacks yourself?" Zhao Wenhua replied with a hint of displeasure, "They are just a few small snacks." "I, your brother, am treating you." "It will be crowded on the ox carts when the school ends later." "It's better for you to go back early."

Zhao Ce had no choice but to thank him and turned to leave. Zhao Wenhua watched his straight back and murmured, "Now he looks like a true scholar..."

After saying that, he prepared to return to the private room and put away the white sugar. He would send it to his master.

On the other hand, Chen Shaofeng was muttering to himself as he walked into the private room. "Did I leave my folding fan inside?" Upon entering, he realized there was no one in the room. There was no sign of his folding fan either. Instead, there was a small cloth bag on the table.

Chen Shaofeng recognized it as the one Zhao Wenhua's younger cousin had taken out earlier. "A farmer coming to our restaurant to sign a contract?" "What good thing could this be?" As he spoke, he picked up the cloth bag in his hand. Casually, he opened it and took a look. Then, his eyes widened involuntarily.

"This..."

The bag was filled to the brim with the same white sugar that He Gongzi had shown them earlier! As soon as Zhao Wenhua entered the private room, he saw Chen Shaofeng holding the cloth bag in his hand. His heart skipped a beat. He inwardly berated himself for being careless.

Chen Shaofeng saw him come in and grabbed him excitedly, asking, "Your cousin, Zhao Ce..." "Did he bring out this white sugar?"

Helpless, Zhao Wenhua could only admit the truth. After explaining, he hesitated and said, "Can you keep this a secret for us, Young Master?" Chen Shaofeng waved his hand grandly. "No problem!" "I'll take this bag of white sugar with me!" "So, I can show it off as well."

 

The Author's Dilemma: A Heart-to-Heart Talk and The Lesser of Two Evils
  • Join Our Patreon Family
  • Stick with Webnovel Contract
  • F*ck this shit, I'm out!
Total voters: 4 · This poll was closed on Sep 20, 2023 07:22 AM.
2