Gentlemen, let’s agree to disagree
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zhao Ce nodded faintly at them. Seeing that Zhao Ce didn't have much interest in talking to them. They just quietly chatted with each other. The coachman cracked his whip, and the ox cart slowly left the city gate. After sitting for a while, Su Changsheng looked at Zhao Ce and seemed somewhat familiar with him. But after thinking for a moment, he couldn't recall who this person was.

He said to Su Changxing, who was dressed in a robe, "Brother, you definitely won't see that little troublemaker when you go back this time. Mother has already sent her away. This little troublemaker was brought back halfway by a drunken scholar. I suppose she's locked up at home now. After all, if her eyes were seen, even the scholar wouldn't dare let her go out." As he spoke, his mouth was filled with malicious pleasure. Then he said with regret, "If it weren't for her leg problem, I would have thought of taking her to the brothel. I estimate I could have sold her for a better price."

Su Changxing, said in a calm tone, "Now that she's gone, let it be. I'll definitely pass the Imperial examination next year." After he finished speaking, he added with some complaints, "As a scholar, how can I have a cousin who sells herself in a brothel?"

Su Changsheng also said, "That's true. It doesn't sound good if this gets out. Our family has suffered enough because of her. This little troublemaker not only causes trouble for others but also for herself. When you casually swung the sickle back then, she managed to cripple her own leg." "Tsk, tsk..." "It's better to send her away sooner."

Su Changsheng's voice was not loud, but Su Changxing still gave him a disapproving look. "What are you saying?" "What does it have to do with me?" Su Changsheng finished speaking and realized he had said the wrong thing. His brother was a scholar. It definitely wouldn't sound good if this matter spread. He became cautious and glanced at Zhao Ce beside him.

Zhao Ce listened to their words and glanced at them. Then he looked at the young man in short clothes. His gaze was dark. From their conversation, he was already certain. This young man in short clothes was Su Cai'er's cousin whom he had encountered on the road. At that time, the original host was drunk and had no interest in observing Su Changsheng's appearance. He just listened to their conversation, and memories started to resurface in Zhao Ce's mind.

Feeling Zhao Ce's gaze, the two men turned and glanced at Zhao Ce. Upon seeing Zhao Ce's expression, dark and piercing, they felt a sense of confusion. Su Changsheng unhappily asked, "Why are you looking at us like that?"

That day, Zhao Ce was dressed in a robe, the attire of a scholar. He appeared disheveled and intoxicated. Contrasting with the man before them, dressed in a long-sleeved shirt, with clear eyes and a handsome face, Su Changsheng didn't even consider the possibility of them being the same person.

Zhao Ce looked at him and then glanced at Su Changxing beside him, listening to their conversation. Was the girl's leg condition related to them? Thinking back to when the girl had just arrived and mentioned her legs being bad for several years, Zhao Ce knew that her legs weren't naturally crippled. He didn't expect that it was caused by this cousin. Unexpectedly, today he had encountered these two individuals. Moreover, this person had even considered taking Su Cai'er to a brothel for sale. It was only due to the presence of a scholar in the family that he didn't act on it, fearing the negative reputation it would bring.

Thinking of this, Zhao Ce sneered inwardly. He looked at the two men and suddenly let out a light laugh. "Wasn't looking at much." "Looking at you..." Zhao Ce lifted his leg and kicked Su Changsheng off the cart.

"Ah!" Su Changsheng didn't expect Zhao Ce to suddenly erupt. He didn't have time to dodge and was kicked off the ox cart. Su Changxing, witnessing his brother being inexplicably kicked off the cart, angrily asked, "What are you doing?" "Why did you kick my brother?" As he raised his eyes and saw Zhao Ce's gaze, it was as cold as a dagger gleaming with icy light, seemingly ready to pierce through him. Su Changxing, a scholar, had no strength to defend himself. Su Changsheng, who had just climbed up from the ground, was already some distance away.

Su Changxing swallowed nervously, feeling afraid, and said, "I-I am a scholar. If you dare to attack me without reason, we won't let you off!" Hearing this, Zhao Ce's face carried a mocking smile. "A scholar?" "How coincidental." "So am I." Su Changxing, upon hearing this, relaxed slightly. He said, "In that case..." "Gentlemen settle disputes through dialogue..." He hadn't finished speaking.

They could only watch as Zhao Ce lifted his leg and kicked himself off the cart. Su Changxing, rolling on the ground, coincidentally collided with Su Changsheng, who was clutching his chest and running over. Su Changxing quickly caught him, helping him up and asking, "Brother, are you alright?"

The cart driver in front wanted to stop and see what was happening. Zhao Ce directly said, "Keep going, don't mind them." "I will compensate you for the remaining money." The cart driver, witnessing the conflict between these people, even resorting to violence, heard that both of them were scholars. He didn't dare to get involved. So, he continued driving the ox cart, not daring to stop.

Zhao Ce looked at the two people walking behind and threw Su Changxing's book box down as well. Su Changxing, a scholar, was treated in such a way. He definitely wouldn't want to make a big fuss about it. Even if it did escalate, Zhao Ce wasn't afraid. At most, he would pay for some medical expenses. Anyway, he no longer had a teacher. He already had a notorious reputation among scholars. What did he have to fear with an additional charge of assaulting someone?

Su Changsheng's chest still throbbed with pain, and Su Changxing limped due to being kicked. Both of them were covered in mud, with even their hair disheveled. They were chasing after at a slow pace. Su Changsheng angrily cursed, "Who are you to dare to attack us?" "We won't let you off!"

Zhao Ce sat on the ox cart and calmly said, "I am Zhao Ce from Shuiqiao Village." "Feel free to come find me for a settlement." As he spoke, the ox cart gradually moved farther away.

"Zhao Ce?" The two brothers exchanged a glance, not knowing why they had encountered such a disaster for no reason. Su Changsheng looked at his brother's robe covered in mud and angrily said, "Let's go back and tell the village chief!" "Let the village chief gather people to seek justice for us." Su Changxing, who had never been treated like this before, had a pale and furious expression on his face, alternating between anger and fear. He gritted his teeth and said, "Let's go."

Zhao Ce let out a sigh of relief and sat on the cart, but his expression wasn't very good. After returning to the village, the cart driver watched as Zhao Ce unloaded his belongings and received the payment, then quickly drove the ox cart away. Zhao Ce didn't say anything, directly holding the bundled pottery and knocking on the door of his house.

4