Chapter 10 – New Profession
1.5k 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Mercenary Guild won by 9 votes

It was decided that he will be joining the mercenary guild. 

Yeah, it fits his game mechanics and element! He get to do any sorts of job without those stupid ranking restrictions. Besides, the rewards are pretty big. Though, feud in the guild is going to make him worry. He just hoped that he doesn't make any enemy in there. Well, not that they are friendly either though. 

After finishing the lunch, he ran back into the room and pack necessary stuff before going to the guild. He sat on the bed and opened up the 'gears' section. He selected 'accessories' and chose the fanny pack. The pack materializes on his waist, just what he needed. These two days taught him something valuable - do not carry satchel. According to Villi, there has been pick pocket incident around the town. She advises that the satchel must be kept with him all the time. Thus, having a fanny pack is the best solution for that problem. 

Though, searching for a fanny pack is a pain in the ass! It took him a while to search in the 'accessories' section. Plus, he never use this in the game because its mostly cosmetics and doesn't carry more items in the battle. But thank god this is reality and all the items in the store are useful in every ways. 

Once he loaded several gold coins into the fanny pouch, the rest of the coins was left in the drawer. It will be use as a backup in case he lost all of the money. At the moment, he was thinking about putting a trip wire for burglars but then again, that would kill you as well when you going to pick up the rest of the money. Plus, there are other innocent civilians below who might caught of the explosions. 

"Let's not... Do it..." It was a stupid idea anyways...

He grabbed the G18 and placed it inside his holster. Since the adventurers around here are fine with brandishing swords and all sorts of fantasy weapons, guess its fine for him to open carry a side arm. Though, not that they know what is a firearm. It seems that they haven't invented this type of weapon in this world just yet. 

Since he has all the things needed, you're good to go. 

Tryx raced down the stairs and met Villi at the reception desk, "Villi, I'll be heading out for a while. No need for room service."

Villi bowed, "Understood. May you have another wonderful day, Mr. Tryx."

With that, he left the premise and stepped out into the busy streets once again.


It didn't take that long for him to arrive at the Mercenary Guild. Just like the the map, four blocks to the east of 'The Woods' inn. The streets was filled with citizens of Bulgen Town and by the time he reached the location, the number of pedestrians dwindles down. The guild's building stood proudly at area. It was two story mansion style building covered in grey bricks and black roof. The wooden sign board started to show signs of wear and tear. Many people tends to avoid the storefront of the guild. It seems the guild is quite notorious. In fact, there is a heavy presence of knights and the peacekeeper corps AKA the police can be seen around the district. Damn, guess Lydia was right all along. 

He decided to choose this profession and now starting to think twice about entering the building. 

Tryx couldn't help but imagining the situation in the guild lobby - Mental images of swole and intimidating guys with Jojo poses came up into his mind, typical bar fights, everyone preying on him because being a newbie, ambushed out of nowhere, violated by female mercenaries and so on. 

Tryx muster up his strength and walk towards the building. Pushing the door open, he made the first step into the guild. His heartbeat thumped harder and louder expecting the worst to come. 

Once he stepped into the premise, he witnessed guild's lobby. 

The lobby was spacious, it has 4 reception counter in which only two are manned by the receptionists. The lobby had dozens of tables and chairs arranged across the floor. These arrangements were also meant to serve the lobby as a tavern in which the door leading into the kitchen could be seen and even an open counter for the waiters to deliver their foods are adjacent of the reception counter. The building had a slightly aged paint and decor but well maintained nevertheless. The smell of ashes and burnt tobaccos entered his nose, something that he isn't used to back at the previous life. There were less than 20 people in the lobby who noticed his appearance. They only give a brief glance and continue with their daily activity. The mood feels slow and calm rather than the hectic and chaos that he imagine. 

Is Lydia trying to scare him from joining this guild?

You stepped ahead towards the reception counter. Behind the counter, a man with short brown hair added with a muttonchop facial hair style was stacking the paperwork that he had recently done. He also appears to wear white shirt and grey pants with the guild's emblem on his grey waistcoat. It seems this guild has a uniform code for its staff... And he seems to be another normal guy rather than a buffed up edgy muscular guy. This is unexpected.  

"Excuse me." Tryx called and the man noticed. 

"Yes, may I help you?" the receptionist stood up from his chair.

"Is the recruitment still open?" 

"Yes, its always open. Much like the adventurer's guild." 

"Then I would like to join the mercenary guild." 

"Hold on, sir." he begins to take out a paper and hands it over. "Please fill up this form." 

Tryx inspect the form, much like the other world it also uses the basic information. Name, gender, age and all sorts of that. He pulled out the tactical pen, something that came free with your avatar when you first came here and fill up the forms. After finished filling up the form, you handed the paper to the man. The man inspect the form and he pulls out a strange device. It was a board with weird inscription and has a carving of magic circle on top of it. He placed the paper on the magic circle and begins to pour his magic energy onto the board. 

The board glows bright and the paper slowly transforms into a type of tag similar to that of military tag. Once the process is done, the magic stopped resonating on the board and receptionist quickly grabs the tag before it fell down. He then quickly attaches a rope around the tag. 

"Here's your personal identification tag, keep it with you all the time. Its useful when you're entering to any cities." The receptionist presented the tag to him. 

He inspects it - his name, current occupation and also age was inscribed on it. He flipped the tag and the mercenary guild's emblem was inscribed on it as well. The tag feels a bit heavy but not even close to metal. Hell, even the tag itself doesn't have the metallic feel to it. It's feels between a fiber glass and nylon. But damn, looks pretty neat. 

"Do you have anymore questions, sir?" the receptionist asked. 

"Yeah, do you have a rank system in here?"

"Yes we do, currently you are an F rank mercenary. You can raise your rank by meeting certain conditions or participating a battle with the Kingdom's army. You can also raise your ranks by clearing several high profile and hard quests. But rest assured, unlike the adventurer's guild you are free to choose normal request regardless of your of your ranks. If you gain higher ranks, more privileges will be given to you. And you are also free to engage into contract with any person without the need to inform the guild." 

So, Lydia was right. No request is restricted by rank conditions. And free contracts? Does this mean you don't need to tell guild what request you're taking? Sounds they're being to lenient. Well, they are mercenary guild, so...

"Anyways, how do I take normal request?"

The receptionists pointed at the information board across the room adjacent to the rows of tables and stools. 

"You can take any sorts of quests at the board over there."

"Thank you."

"Also, young lad. Don't die. Remember what you signed up for." 

You smirked, "Of course I won't, this is what I signed up for." 

That's right. His previous life has ended. Now, this is his new life. 

Tryx walked towards the board and several papers are stamped. He scanned, checking them one by one reading the description of the requests that catches his eyes. 

Fighting Goblins, 50 Munis - to cheap. 

Kill mountain wolfs, 400 Munis - Requires you to go to mountain. No way.

Capture a runaway slave, 1500 Munis - Sounds nice but no. 

Exterminate pests at the Noble mansion, 40 Munis - Again, really cheap. 

Kill a dragon and its underlings, 2400 Munis - Let's just stop right there. 

OK, it seems that choosing a quest isn't that easy at all. He needed to take a quest.  He looked back at the board long enough and picked out that catches his eye. There are another batch of interesting request at the far side of the board, at least 5 of them. All of them looked interesting, these requests seemed promising. 

So, Tryx choose...

Choose your first request
  • Merchant escort : 220 Munis Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Heroes escort (Request from Adventurer's Guild) : depending on service Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Subjugate wild beasts : 340 Munis Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Exterminate bandit group : 500 Munis Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Find a missing person : 250 Munis Votes: 7 41.2%
Total voters: 17 · This poll was closed on Jan 3, 2020 03:31 PM.
26