7. Shocking discovery
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hunter sat in a daze as he stared at the floating screen in front of him. Once again, he could not make a head or tail out of it. All of it seemed bizarre. But what shocked him the most was that the system knew about him going back in time when nobody else did.

'How is it possible? How does the system know about what happened to me?' He wondered as he stretched on the sofa to make himself comfortable. The moment he moved, the floating screen too moved with him, surprising him all the more. 'Ah, it moves too. What kind of weirdo am I stuck with?' He mused and shook his head in dismay.

"Huey." He called out softly, trying to lure the girl out of her cave. Though he did not know anything about her, he liked her voice. He found it soothing to listen to.

But, just as he had expected, there was no response from her. "Huey, are you there?" He tried again but in vain. "So, you won't speak to me until my health point reaches 100. Am I right?"

Hunter sighed softly, distressed by the sudden turn of events. Though he was happy to have returned to the past, he now had a significant burden on his mind that kept him occupied completely.

While there was Ryan who he was suspicious about, he now also had a system that wanted to make him the supreme hitman, and for what reasons? He did not know. He was now utterly wary of both Ryan and the weird system he was stuck with.

"How do I clear the screen? At least tell me that." He almost whined like a kid. But he did not even have to do anything. The screen vanished immediately, and Hunter had the sudden urge to kill someone. He was too annoyed right now.

With a frown, he held his phone and searched on the Internet about what a system was and all he got was some ridiculous system-based novels, which he had no interest in.

Frustrated, he gave up and turned on the television to shake his mind off his dilemma. But nothing interesting caught his eye before he switched to a news channel and what he saw made his jaw drop.

Ryan was answering a reporter's question. But that was not what caught Hunter's eye. Instead, it was the man beside him that shocked him. He found the man extremely familiar, as though he had met him in the previous life. Ryan and the man were smiling as they faced the camera before they shook hands.

"Congratulations Mr. Ryan Edwards. You got the deal you were looking for. Now, you would be joining hands with the biggest weapon manufacturer in the country. I am sure, given how capable you are, your company will reach paramount success. Would you like to tell us what you intend to do now that you are collaborating with Mr. Thomas Harris?"

'Thomas Harris?' It finally struck who the man was. Hunter's frown deepened on hearing the familiar name. He was well versed with him, especially when he recalled that his last target had taken the same name. 'Did Ryan collaborate with Thomas Harris? When did that happen? Wasn't I given a mission to kill Thomas Harris previously?' He wondered, staring hard at the duo on the television.

Ryan did all the talking while the man beside him just stood still until the reporter finally turned to him. "Mr. Thomas Harris, what would you like to say about this collaboration?"

As soon as the reporter questioned the man, Hunter fixed in gaze on the man who had ended up dead in his hands in his previous life. 'Why is Ryan with Thomas Harris? What relationship do these two have? Was it Ryan who asked me to kill him? ' Hunter's thoughts ran wild and he stared at the television screen, stupefied by the revelation. He was too shocked to listen to what the man was speaking and what the reporter was asking him. All he could focus on was the fact that Ryan was with Thomas Harris.

Hunter was in denial and he wondered if his eyes were playing games with him.

'Something is wrong here. If Ryan knew Thomas Harris and my last target, why did he want to kill me? What would he get out of it?' Hunter was spooked to think about the unbelievable turn of events. He kept staring at the television to make sure he was not dreaming.

A few minutes after, the interview ended, and an advertisement started playing. 'What game is Ryan playing?' Hunter held his head as he tried to sort his messed up thoughts. But it only got more convoluted as time passed when Hunter came up with bizarre theories which he could not believe.

Hunter was confused and lost. His suspicion only rose as time passed, and he became frustrated and restless. He did not know what the truth was and what the reality was. Everything was a mess, and all Hunter wanted to do was rush to Ryan and demand answers from him. He could not decipher what Ryan was planning and why he planned to kill the two of them, pulling him too into his trap.

'What does he even want?' He wondered and tried to recall what might have caused Ryan to have a fallout with Thomas if he was the one who sent him on the mission to kill him. However, he could not come up with any possible deductions.

'Ryan and Thomas signed a collaboration to open a weapon manufacturing company in the country. Did things go wrong there?' He started to analyze carefully after calming himself down. 'It must be. Otherwise, why would I get the mission to kill Thomas? If that was the case, why did he push me towards the man who wanted to kill me for killing Thomas? His words surely indicated that somehow Ryan helped him in this. Did Ryan actually help him, or am I blaming him just based on my assumptions?'

Hunter had no idea what to do now. He could neither speak to anyone about it nor keep it to himself. His head started to ache with all the thinking he had done, and he pushed himself onto the sofa until he was lying down with his legs dangling off the armrest. He closed his eyes, taking deep breaths to soothe his pain.

"Hunter," His eyes snapped open when he heard the familiar and charming voice.

"Huey? Is that you?" He got up immediately, the sudden action sending waves of pain through his shoulder. He groaned in agony. But at the same time, he was ecstatic to hear her voice.

"You were searching for answers, right?"

"Yes, Huey. Do you have them?" His eyes sparkled as he looked around, trying to find the source of the voice even though it was just in his mind.

"Don't try to find answers to your questions. Wait for the day you get the mission to kill Thomas Harris. Everything will become clear that day."

"But..."

"I will meet you once your health point reaches 100." Huey did not say another word and vanished at once, leaving a confused Hunter gaping in disbelief.

2