11. First task
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week passed just like that, and Hunter had almost recovered. His wounds were healing and it would not be long before his Health Points reached 100. He was just short of 2 points.

In the last few days, nothing significant had happened. Besides Ryan visiting him once to enquire about his health and Naomi visiting him almost daily, Hunter had only been to the hospital twice to change his dressing. All his time had been spent on the TV, the internet and social media as he followed Ryan's news closely, making sure to be updated about the man who had destroyed his life once.

Hunter let out a sigh and continued exercising. After consulting with his doctor, he started exercising again. Even though he wanted to return to his old routine, he took it slow, starting with less tedious exercises.

Hunter was watching a news report on the weapon manufacturing companies in the country as he jogged on the treadmill, the only exercise machine he had at home, when Naomi's call interrupted him. Reducing his jog to a walk, Hunter answered the call, his lips curving into a smile.

"To what do I owe this pleasure of you calling me, Naomi?" The words escaped his lips smoothly, and Hunter was stunned by his techniques.

"That was crap and won't work on me." Naomi retorted and Hunter chortled, not at all surprised by her response. "Try it somewhere else. Might help you find a date for the night."

"I tried, didn't work." Hunter got off the treadmill and picked up the towel, adjusting his headphones in the meanwhile.

"That just means you suck at it. You need to do better."

"Noted, Madam. Will practice more from now on."

"Spare me."

Again, Hunter let out a laugh and heard Naomi sigh in defeat.

"Hunter, we got a mission. Do you want to take it?" Naomi's tone turned serious and Hunter concluded that her business mode was now activated. If he were to flirt with her, he would only be rebuked.

"Who is the target?" Hunter remembered that Naomi had called him sometime around this time too in his previous life with a mission.

"It's an easy kill. The man is a local drug dealer, offended a big shot. Easy money, big money." Naomi babbled the information and Hunter did not miss anything.

"Sure. Please send the details to me. I'll look into it."

"Great. We now have two missions to complete."

"Yes, I'll return to work starting tomorrow."

"I'm sending you the information about our target. Have a look. We have a week to complete the task."

"Great, I now have two people to kill and practice my flirting skills. How fucking amazing! I just love my life." Hunter exclaimed, imagining Naomi rolling her eyes at him and his smile deepened.

"Pathetic. Anyway, will you be coming to the association tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I will. Why? Is anything the matter?"

"Yeah, you and I need to sign a private contract. Remember I told you you can take private missions too."

"I remember, Naomi. Don't worry. We will do the procedures when we meet tomorrow."

"Okay. How do you want to split the earnings?"

"60-40, no compromise," Hunter stated, allowing no room for arguments and silence ensued for a few seconds. "Naomi, are you there?"

"Uhh...yeah. I am here. Sorry, I blanked out."

"Is something wrong? Are you not happy with the split?" Hunter frowned, not understanding what had rendered her speechless. 'Is she not satisfied with the split? But that is the best offer I can give her.'

"That's not it. I am astonished, baffled, to be honest." Naomi replied in all honesty. "I did not know you would give me forty percent of your earnings. That's an incredible offer, actually."

Hunter let out a sigh and picked up the energy drink. "Well, I am glad you are satisfied with the offer. I might take up a few personal missions and I am sure I'll need your help with them."

Hunter was not that great at tech-related matters and needed someone like Naomi, an expert at it. Even though he preferred working alone, he did not mind Naomi assisting him. It would only help him finish the task soon and take up new missions.

"I am happy I can be of help to you." Although Naomi said it, her smile faltered when she recalled Hunter's friend and her father. But it was only momentary. Their thoughts soon dispersed and she returned to normal quickly.

"I will come over tomorrow and let's decide our course of action. I need to plan properly before I execute my kill this time. Last time, I was unlucky and ended up getting shot." Although Hunter was referring to his misfortune which Naomi knew about, he was, in fact, referring to his last mission in his previous life.

"Sure, I'll be here. Let's plan before we execute."

"See ya, Naomi. Have a good day."

The call ended and Hunter wiped his neck, which was sweaty. "Thank you, Noami. I at least have you. Otherwise, I would have lost my mind."

[Congratulations, host, for attaining 100 Health Points. You are now fine and fit to take up any challenge the system has for you.]

Hunter heard a monotonous, robotic voice and he stopped suddenly. The floating screen popped up before him again and Hunter noticed that his HP had changed from 98 to 100.

"Huey, what's happening?" He asked, bewildered by the unexpected announcement.

"It's just an announcement. You have nothing to worry about, Hunter."

"Ohh..." Hunter still did not know what to make out of it and just nodded blankly.

"You are now ready to take up your first mission and we will assign you your first task."

"Okay. What do I have to do?" Hunter was curious and he raised his brows slightly.

"Your first mission is to rob someone," Huey stated and if not for the seriousness in her voice, Hunter was sure he would have started laughing.

"What?" He asked incredulously.

"You need to rob someone and the amount cannot be less than 1000 dollars."

2