16. Escape
16 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hunter patted his heart and took deep breaths in fear. His soul had almost left his body and his life had been shortened by ten years at that moment.

When Hunter regained composure, he stood up, his hand seeking support from the table. Although he wanted to assure Naomi, he did not dare speak a word. He was close to the unconscious men and he had to be careful lest he woke them up due to his stupidity.

Hunter ignored Naomi's frantic voice and returned to the safe. He now had only one chance. He took a deep breath and tried the combination that came to his mind and voila. The safe opened immediately, much to his disbelief.

Kael Hunter, who usually had terrible luck with luck, was suddenly blessed and did not know how to react for a few seconds. Moreover, his eyes were almost blinded by the amount of cash in the safe.

His lips twitched when he recalled his bank balance. Though tempted to take away all the money, he stopped himself, took only ten 100 dollar bills, and closed the door after ensuring he had the exact amount.

Letting out a deep sigh, he pushed the money into the inner pocket of his vest before he turned around, only to stop when he noticed one of the men stirring in his sleep.

Hunter had nowhere to hide. He was in plain sight of the man about to wake up. Not knowing what else to do, Hunter dropped to the ground, laid down flat, and started crawling, making sure to be as invisible and noiseless as possible.

'I can crawl my way out of here. No one will get to know.'

However, he had overestimated himself and crashed into a carton pile. The boxes fell with a bang and all the sleeping men woke up immediately.

"What the fuck is the noise??"

Hunter heard one of the men yell and cursed himself for not watching where he was going. He had now put himself in danger and Hunter had the sudden urge to slap himself for his stupidity.

'Hunter.'

He heard Huey speak to him all of a sudden.

'The men are yet to find you. Run as fast as you can. The door is nearby.' She suggested and Hunter did not think twice before he got to his heels and bolted towards the door, his gun already in his hand.

Hunter had no idea if the men had seen him or not. The moment he was out of the room, he returned to the hiding spot he had found before he entered the room and squatted immediately.

"Naomi, I am done with the mission. I need to get out of here soon." Hunter's hushed voice fell on the lady who was still waiting for his updates.

"I am on it." She mumbled, not asking him what had happened and why he sounded strange. Getting him out of the den was more important than questioning him.

"Take the same path you entered from."

Hunter did not wait and retraced his steps, his gun unlocked, his finger pressed on the trigger, ready to kill anyone who blocked his path.

"Take the east door."

Hunter was just about to change his direction when Naomi stopped him.

"Someone pressed an alarm bell. Find a place to hide. Quick."

"Don't." Huey contradicted Naomi's suggestions. "Go towards the east. You still have time. If you are fast enough, you can escape before the men can even get to you."

Hunter was in a dilemma. He did not know who to trust.

"You only have a few seconds to take action." Huey urged when Hunter did not react and this got the man moving. "Trust me. I will not get you killed. You and I are bound and if you die, I will have to go into a slumber for...."

Huey stopped all of a sudden and the unexpected information stupefied Hunter. However, instead of probing more into it, he dashed towards the east, looking for a way to get out of the place.

Hunter did not even have to ask where to go next. His escape route lay right in front of him and with a quick jump, he climbed out of the window, landing softly on the other side.

He did not stop at that. Instead, he continued running. The lack of light did not stop him and he used his torch to illuminate his path. Hunter did not halt until he reached his truck, which he had parked far away from Johnny's den.

Barely two minutes after, he was securely strapped to his car seat and was driving back home. Sweat trickled down his back and cheek. But he ignored it and panted as his hands kept shaking.

Even though he was not a stranger to such danger, it affected him every time and it took him a few seconds to escape the aftermath.

"Are you out of your freaking mind?" Naomi screamed and Hunter squinted his eyes, unable to bear the loud screech in his ears.

"Naomi, speak softly. I do not want to become deaf."

"Do you have any idea what you just did?"

"Umm...I just escaped from people who wanted to capture me."

"You could have been killed."

"But I wasn't." Hunter countered.

"That was risky."

"Yes, but it was worth the risk and I am safe."

"You are unbelievable." Naomi gave up arguing and Hunter smiled faintly. "My head is pounding after the stunt you pulled. I'll end the mission now. All the camera footage has been taken care of. You'll have your money deposited to your account soon."

"Thank you, Naomi. It was a pleasure working with you. Let's discuss our remaining mission tomorrow."

With that, the call ended and Hunter let out a deep breath.

"Congratulations, host." Suddenly, he heard the same robotic voice he had a few days ago. "You have completed your mission and are now eligible to enter the line to become the Supreme Hitman in the world."

Hunter raised his brows and looked at the rearview mirror, staying as alert as possible.

"As a reward for completing your mission, you will be rewarded 100 XP and 10000 dollars have been deposited to your account."

Hunter's smile slipped and his forehead creased into a frown. "Huey, why am I being rewarded only 100 XP?"

"Because the mission was worth only 100 XP."

"But the task was dangerous," Hunter complained.

"But it was you who chose the risky method. You could have chosen anyone in the world, anyone. But you chose the dangerous path." Huey stated, her tone completely void of emotions and Hunter had no words to refute.

It was true he had chosen Johnny as his target to complete the mission when he could have chosen any easy target. It was not the system's fault at all. His conscience refused to rob anyone else, and Hunter gave up debating over it.

'At least I have the money now. I should be contented with it.'

1