1 – Meeting the Streets
160 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lands in Evergarden were inhabited by human and demihuman races such as vampires, elves and dwarves, sometimes coexisting, but oftentimes races held to themselves. A rule of law existed in all of them and generally, these races made sure to have good relationships with one another. This was true on a surface level at least, due to the threat of demons and monsters. Cooperation helped them survive. But hatred between some races was clear and wars do break out. Short-lived humans, were often looked down upon, duly earning them the short-end of the stick in many dealings. "Only their numbers are significant." Was what many demihumans thought.

The lawless zone of Vel'Karaz was an example of what happens when no compromises are made. Murder was rampant, monsters regularly breached the walls of its last standing city, and trouble was an old friend of the dwindling population. It was the aftermath of a war that happened years ago. The area was far away from where the main character of the game starts his journey. And also the place where I awoke once more.

"Ughh..." Rubbing my eyes as a groan escaped me, the happenings before fainting repeated themselves in my head. I had left the area as soon as I could to avoid danger, and was now wandering a main street familiar to me from spending hours in the game. I had covered myself with a hood, as the previous owner of this body most likely did. Strapped on my back were broken staves used by mages and common daggers, brought back from the battle, the lightest I could manage.

The street had many people, not all human, but most looking similarly miserable or untrustworthy. It was the poor, unprotected outer district where I walked. I had tried to deny that this world became real at first, muttering "it can't be", shock sometimes seeped over my being from witnessing the surrounding vileness, but somehow, this body kept my mind from breaking, seemingly being more accustomed to it. All I remember is my past life and "Sylas Neverine, 15 years old".

Tears sometimes welled as I walked, even though I couldn't understand why. Those people that passed? Was my first thought. I had become one with Sylas, his trauma was now mine. My resolve slowly hardened. What will happen if I die? I can't find out... The adult in me looked for a solution. At the very least, I can find a way out...

[Curse of suffering - Slowly rots your mind and causes extreme suffering over time. Only effective on the weak.]

How to deal with this? My eyes darted around the street looking for something of help, but to no avail.

A bearded dwarf with a pipe that glared at the crowds passing by, not targeted despite holding an expensive golden hammer. Clear assassins looked around for clients, twirling daggers in their hand, openly offering services in killing. Some men and women wallowed in their misery, hunched up on street corners. There is nothing here...

This world should be filled with energy called mana, used by all awakened beings. I had felt if faintly... A sensation as natural as breathing air.

Opening my palm, streaks of cyan and black collected, forming into a hovering burning ball of potential energy. These were elements within the game. Darkness and ice? Was it my mood?

[Dark element proficiency has been added!]

[Ice element proficiency has been added!]

[The ability to draw elemental circuits has been added!]

[Circuitry has been unlocked, 1 circuit unlock remaining.]


[Circuits]

[Echo: Spells are cast twice instead of once.]

[Turmoil: Ascend your limits. Greatly increase your combat capabilities!]

[Nocturne: Hide from prying eyes. A dark veil covers you.]

...


Familiar rings broke my train of thought, exploding the small ball in my hand with a puff of colored smoke. Finally. Some class specific skills unlocked. Is it unlocked through learning?

There was no time to experiment. While reading through the list of circuits, my step hastened to a spot next to the angry-looking dwarf smoking his pipe, some distance away from the group of assassins. Both seemingly couldn't care less about a kid from the slums, but I couldn't afford to be careless.

Picking... This status window, there was nothing to pick an option with? Hmm... Concentrating on the circuit I wanted, as my eyes squinted, another notification sprung alive:

[Veil of ether: Strong resistance to mental effects. When activated, induces fear and significantly increases concentration, raising magic by 15. (cooldown - 24h)]

It is navigated with thought? Finally, a way to remove that damned curse.

Ripping the cheap fabric off of both sleeves, thick black rods of energy moved from the atmosphere into my hands, intriguing onlookers who knew how to use magic.

***

"A commotion?" One of the assassins asked with excitement in his voice, but no such thing was found. All he saw was a teenage kid with golden eyes and jet black hair searing odd lit-up patterns on his arms with magic, sparks flying everywhere, the same kind as when two blades scraped together. Once the kid finished, the patterns lost their dark-purple hue and seeped under the child's skin.

A similar thing then happened with equipment the child carried. Common daggers occasionally turned to dust after burning on patterns, but once in a while, they remained. Light element? A highly sought after enchantment... Some of the child's broken staves were repaired as well? The assassin's breath slowed, the corners of his mouth floated to his ears, smiling beneath his mask. Disappearing into nothingness, a moment later, the assassin once more materialized nearby.

"Are those daggers for sale? I have no money, but these rings should be a fair trade." He asked while appearing.

The kid narrowed his eyes in response. A dim golden hue could be seen underneath his hood as he did this.

"Why would an assassin want these common grade daggers?" He questioned.

The assassin looked confused, trying to figure out if the child was joking, when the grunting voice of a dwarf answered for him.

"Haven't you heard? Light attribute items are illegal in Vel'Karaz. If this was anywhere outside the poor district, you'd lose your head." Spoke the dwarf through his teeth, pipe in mouth.

"They're highly sought after here among us less-liked." The assassin interjected emotionlessly, his eyes narrowing, twirling a sheathed dagger on his fingertip. Careful inspection revealed a white colored glow around the weapon. The dagger disappeared as quickly as it was taken out. A regular light enchantment had been applied to it.

"Those bastards claim it's to protect the balance of power between the ruling vampires and the rest of us..." The assassin spoke.

"The truth is, demons have taken hold and people are trying to escape this shithole, as resources are drying up."

A shout came back from the street: "Those are just rumors!" Followed by a jovial mad loud laugh.

"Well, what do you say?" The assassin asked menacingly, ignoring the passing comment.

The kid narrowed his eyes. "Some food, water, the rings and a common spell-book."

The assassin smiled even wider underneath his mask and, once more, spoke: "As expected of someone that grew up here. The pleasure is mine." He then took out a book titled "Introduction to fire magic."

After dealings, the killer-for-hire, slowly dematerialized, pulling down his mask. "You may find me here again. Just ask for the man with silver teeth." As he revealed a glistening mad smile.

***

It was clear now. The time period I had landed in was a few years before the main character joined the academy and a little earlier from the game's starting date.

Vel'Karaz's last standing city almost falls due to demonic possession of its ruling class, currently vampires. A few legendary figures in Evergarden's world intervene, some dying, barely stopping its complete takeover. But the exact events of what happened was never explained.

Should I escape?

2