Chapter 1
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gentle footsteps echo along the stone pathway. A young ethereal figure could be seen walking alone. The figure stops to breathe in the fresh air around him while he admires the meadow of flowers that he had come to stand in, beneath the cherry blossom tree. 

   The petals from the cherry blossom trees surrounding the figure in the meadow, danced in the light breeze and petals softly caressed the figures cheek.

  

  "Wufeng?"

The figure's back stiffens for a second at the use of one of his titles and then relaxes as he slowly turns around to gaze at his brother in arms, Hong Li; a soft smile gracing his lips.

"Welcome back, brother."

   Hong Li chuckled. "I knew I would find you here. I heard about your disagreement with Xiang Fen."

 Wufeng allowed the other to approach and slap him on the back before slinging his arm casually around the neck. "You two fight far too often these days. Your like oil and water." Hong Li just rolled his eyes. 

“So, what’s up with that?” Wufeng listened to his friend prattle on while he was silent as they walked back to the grounds of the temple. They both chatted, Wufeng more quiet and reserved. 

"Wufeng!" A delicate hand waved through the air, the form standing by the entrance to their residence which was overshadowed by a willow tree. Even after their fight, Wufeng felt his heart soften as he passed a gentle smile to his lover, Xiang Fen, who had always been gentle and kind, warm. She had always loved him, and had been there when he needed her.

She ran to Wufeng. He caught her in his arms with a huff and spun her around happily. However, he did not notice his sworn brother of his standing behind him, an odd gleam in his dark eyes - eyes that met his lovers without his knowledge, and eyes just like his lover - eyes that were once full of kindness and affection now only brew brew hate and jealousy.

His sworn brother no longer bore the kind eyes of a friend but of someone plotting something malicious.

~~~~~~

The twilight moon glimmered in the upper realm of the Gods. 

Wufeng blinked awake from his slumber, peeking at his still-sleeping love. He gently traced a hand over her cheek before bending down to gift her brow a soft kiss, his heart fluttered. 

He sighed once he pulled away, hurrying to put on his robes and tie the sash quickly, and then he tucked in before his feet softly padded away and out of the door to their room, his hair swaying softly with movement as he strode to the place he needed to go. 

Wufeng came to a standstill. 

A film blanketed over his eyes and his expression twisted; albeit, still beautiful and serene but an underlying feeling came through - the aura was far darker and his jaw seemed sharp enough to cut; his eyes deep enough suck up anything in his line of light - having become deep and full of twinkling stars of the vast universe. 

   Shadows danced along his expression.

"Yiyuan." He called his weapon, his sword, his voice held a slightly deeper tone. In an instant their was a flash of light before his sword held in his right grip.

"I, the Guardian who watches, the God who keeps balance - The Night and Day -, I call to the Nether to open its paths and how me what I wish to see."  His voice came out firm and strong.

His sword trembled and shook with at the command, the blade a mixture of black and white swirls of color imbedded - was not afraid but eager - before a flare of power made it shine so brilliantly, opening up a rippling mirror that soon settled. 

   Wufeng's eyes bore into the reflecting mirror and it was like staring into a fathomless abyss - for all the light was seemingly snatched away and all there was in this moment was darkness.

Wufeng had two personalities but they were still completely him. He was like night and day - the yin and yang. He was the balance of the world. 

   None of the other Gods really knew what kind of God Wufeng was, just that he was a very powerful Original. It was a secret,  dangerous secret, not even those closest to him know. He had a darker side and lighter side. He was himself both times, but also in reverse both times. 

    Wufeng used his eyes to peer deep into the intermediate space, to see the energies of the universe; of the world that swirled together. He kept them in check as always. 

   Neither were fortunately imbalanced so Wufeng allowed himself to relax. With a snap of his fingers the portal space dissipated and his sword returned to its normal shape. He ran slender pale fingers over the gleaming blade that seemed to preen with pride over his master and being useful to him. 

   "Yiyuan, you've done well. Return to me." He coaxed with a soft alluring voice, opening the lapels of his robe to expose his flesh to allow his most loyal friend - a sword - yes - but with a consciousness, to return to its rightful place. 

   And the sword was indeed forever loyal to him, whatever he wished - he had no need to ask. The wish would simply be carried out. Yiyuan had many forms it could take and it had an incorporeal form of his conscious.

    Yiyuan willing coiled into his master's flesh and bones, intertwining their existences as they always have, except for short times when they separate; and taking on the shape of a land animal of the mortal world far below. A falcon, of the avian bird species, always watchful and quietly resting. 

 Wufeng hummed contentedly as walked barefooted back to his room to lay with his love - only to be stopped in the dining hall by Xiang Fen herself. 

   Wufeng had reverted back to his other self, his regular gentle small upon his lips, despite the bewildered feeling inside him. 

  "My heart, what troubles you so?" He ushered himself to her side immediately, full of worry after taking notice of the tears upon her cheeks. 

   He cradled those rosy plum cheeks so gently as big watery eyes peered up into his own eyes. "What is the matter, my love? Tell me." He murmured. 

  "I - I -" she hiccuped from her tears, hiding her face in his chest, Xiang Fen felt after everything - deep down - the feeling of guilt - but her desire for more, her greed - even though she too had been misled and possibly brainwashed - her essence was rotting, her heart turning black unbeknownst to her for what was about to happen, "I had a nightmare, comfort me." 

  He could hear her whimper. Wufeng sighed. "It's alright. Come, let's go back to bed." He grabbed one of her slender hands gently, intending to pull her along to their room.

  However, the minute he turned around, he froze - his eyes going wide with shock as pain sliced all the way through him from the back, through his abdomen. 

  He slowly looked down.

   A gleaming silver blade now dripping with his blood had been stabbed into his body, the hilt sticking out. Wufeng glanced back up at his sworn brother, his best friend...the same friend he knew since the beginning of his existence - they had grown up together and flourished with their Godhood. 

   "Hurry up already! Call the other Gods!" The very familiar voice of his lover spoke nervously from behind him as she came to stand next to his friend… his former friend… someone he had explicitly trusted with his life.

How laughable now. 

Had it all been a lie?

And why was he looking up at them? Had he not just been standing?

"Calm down, woman. The blade was poisoned, it may not kill him but it will be painful and it will incapacitate him." The voice of his sworn brother voices coldly in a sneer, peering down at Wufeng in disgust.

"Ha! I bet you never saw this coming!" The other cackled, staring with a malicious grin. "My, my. How the Mighty have fallen." He spat on Wufeng's face. Wufeng, who could only stare, unable to speak and he could only gape at the two individuals he had cared for the most, even more than his brothers. Xiang Fen couldn't even look at him without trembling, she didn't dare meet his eyes. 

  Wufeng felt immeasurable pain pumping through his body and he couldn't twitch, or move any muscles. He could not conjure up Yiyuan from his body that had been sealed within by whatever poison had been on his friends blade. 

  His lover and friend were now looking down on him and mocking him. Wufeng could not even voice his pain. Crystal like tears seeped from his eyes, becoming black as his personality switched. 

  No. He refused.

He would not allow them to do anything anymore.

  He was stronger than this, stronger than the pain echoing through him. Wufeng snarled, eyes turning black with the anger of their betrayal, the heartbreak being shoved into a box and locked away. 

"You!" He growled, his body shook from pain, and the effort to force himself to his feet.

   Xiang Fen screeched, eyes wide with fear and hiding behind his former friend.

  Wufeng scoffed, his eyes shed tears silently as he outwardly mocked himself and turned his fury on her, yanking the sword still stuck in his abdomen - probably for the poison. 

  "I loved you, I have loved you for so many years and this is how you… you…!" 

He howled, striding towards her and shoving his so called friend to the side, who seemed to be dumbfounded at the development of the situation. 

"How?" The other male mumbled, "I coated the blade with poison. Even as strong as he is, he shouldn't be able to move." 

Wufeng tuned him out, staring with fathomless eyes at his lover, the normal beautiful golden peach color of his eyes - one eye with a ring of violet and the other silver...now...they were just dark as he stared at his lover, reflecting his inner turmoil as he gazed at the one he always cherished and pampered with care and affection.

The one who betrayed him.

He grit his teeth, steeling himself for what he was about to do. 

"Ahh!" He cried out against the sudden onslaught from behind, enraged and even more shocked at the one who led the rest of the Gods against him. 

He had many swords sticking out of his body from being stabbed multiple times, blood trickled from the stab wounds and pain echoed through him. 

Even by his big brother, Xi Qinxing. 

 He watched his blood seep steadily onto the floor.

"Big Brother?!" he cried out in shock, agony over taking his mind.

"Xi Wufeng, my dear Xiao Feng..." His older brother sighed. His long dark hair was braided over his shoulder, his expression fierce. 

"Why?!" Wufeng asked him, "why are you doing this, brother? They attacked me, and stabbed me with a blades coated in poison no less! I have done nothing to warrant such actions against me." 

"Little brother.. " the other sighed. "You...ah... The Will Of Heaven must be carried out. It is because your existence will cause chaos. I have heard about your odd personality changes and Xiang Fen had shown me the many wounds and bruises you have given her.

   You are dangerous and unstable and cannot be left alone. This is for the greater good of all realms. Rest assured brother, your sacrifice won't be in vain." 

"What?" Wufeng barked a sharp, incredulous laugh, "I loved her! I never laid a finger on her to harm her! I would never!" He shouted, before bursting into tearful hysterical laughter - becoming unhinged. "My sacrifice? Oh, big brother...you are the one being led astray. You have no idea what you are doing! Please stop this!" Wufeng begged.

All of this time Wufeng had ignored his wounds, but the poisons were starting to take a toll on him. He tried to remain firm and stand his ground but ended up having to shakily lean against the nearest pillar as he lost the strength to stand, beads of sweat dripping from his face. 

  

He stared at all of the Gods present before him. 

He watched as his brother conjured up images, images of Xiang Fen bruised, beaten, and bloody - and crying to his elder brothers shoulder and then somehow how his former sworn brother and lover had managed to fabricate scenes of his supposed unstableness and loss of control. 

  He turned his head to look at his lover who would not need his gaze, biting her bottom lip and looking down. 

  He felt his heart break and crumble.

   Yes, he may have dual personalities, and a lot of power - but he had never lost control, even when in anger. He was never unjust. He had been told by an Oracle God long ago before the Oracle chose to fade from existence that he would fall into madness, leaving death in his wake - none of that had held true so far. For many centuries, he had kept balance and peace. He had kept his darker side in check at all times so that it was never an issue. 

    It was his duty to keep peace and balance, his duty to make sure the positive energy and negative energy in the world stayed in balance. He held the darkness and the light. He was never out of control, if he had been - the realm would not have lasted for long… none of the realms would. 

   

These foolish Gods and Goddesses had no idea what they were doing, and even if he told them the truth of his existence they would not believe him now. The knowledge would only fall upon deaf ears.

His lover had also been such a good, convincing actress that Wufeng knew he had lost. All the Gods liked her, some had even coveted her themselves. She had always been genuinely kind and sweet to everyone. 

   What happened to cause such a drastic change? Was she influenced by another more powerful entity? Not that it truly mattered now, he supposed - her heart and essence have been irrevocably changed. He could see the energies of her essence, overtaken by a ton of dark and negative energy. 

  The damage was done.

He would not be able to get through to her, unless he had more time but… And he had once wholly trusted her, and loved her enough to move mountains below, and yet… maybe his love simply had not been enough. 

  Wufeng grimaced and watched as they charged at him from all sides, shackling him, binding him. Even though there was no need, he was already incapacitated. 

He watched some of the other faces of the other Gods.

His twin was not among them. He knew in his heart, because of all of them, his twin would never do these things to him. His twin had to have been misled and then incapacited by someone close to them. 

He glared at his sworn brother and lover. This scheme was all their doing! Even if they had been manipulated and misled - Wufenf could see, their essences have changed - overcome by their negative emotions, and they no longer held any feelings for him.

The only other being capable of such a thing was sealed away, permanently. Wufeng and his twin made sure of that. They were the only ones that knew the truth of what happened many long years ago - just when humans on earth has begun to thrive and the Gods of the realms lived in peace, they were the only ones who remembered. 

It could not be his doing. 

He was dragged to the middle of the realms courtyard, and shoved to his knees. One of the Gods had him tightly bound in chains. 

"He is no longer considered to be apart of us. My younger brother has lost his way and must be dealt with. Do as you please." His elder brother strode off. 

"Why don't you stay, Big brother? Don't you want a piece of me too? Or is doing such things beneath you?" Wufeng snarled at his back, held in place by his chains. 

Xi Qinxing paused but only for a moment before Wufeng was left to these damn vultures called Gods who were fickle and bored, influenced by each other, who normally were all civil with each other, and respectful and admiring him. Wufeng snapped, and he began laughing non-stop, tears streaming down his face steadily.

He was at their mercy and he could do nothing as they began to play with him, to torture him - not wanting to deal the final blow so they don't end it too soon.

    His lover and sworn brother at the front of it all, Xiang Fen was hugging herself and hiding on the side but not once did she try to help him, her eyes turned away from the horror taking place.

"You will both regret this…" he spoke through clenched teeth, seething with anger and madness as he was looking up at them from where he was forced to kneel. They kept slowly pulling out the blades of their swords, twisting them all the while, and then repeatedly taking turns in stabbing him in new untouched places- over and over and if that wasn't enough…

  They all made sure to hold him down as if he wasn't already incapacitated - just in case - and the took smaller blades, daggers and began to dig the sharp tips into all of his exposed flesh and peel it away; carving  piece by bloody piece; later after layer. They carved into him, creating more and deeper wounds still. 

"STOP! What are you doing?! STOP IT! Get away from him! Brother!" Xi Qianyu called out desperately, his voice wrought with dismay and crying out. Xi Qianyu rushed to him, shoving through the others - and proceeding to push them away.

Xi Qianyu knelt beside him, tears rolling down his cheeks. "I'm sorry brother! I tried to come sooner but they...they - !" He choked up, voice hoarse.

   His face was pinched with agony staring at his dear twin Wufeng, bleeding all over with gaping wounds and the horrible sight of the muscles and bones peeking out from where they had been peeling away his flesh with their weapons. "Wufeng…" he whispered, eyes still shedding tears. He pressed their foreheads together.

  "Its ok, brother, I will help you. It's ok. I'm right here." He cried. Wufeng didn't have the strength to speak but he could feel his twin and knew his twin meant every word, if anything - his twin lived him and still cared. That knowledge eased some of the bleeding grief in his heart. So Wufeng smiled at him.

  His twin gasped and cried harder, hugging his brother close and trying to shield him with his body. He glanced at the perpetrators, his eyes red with fury and heartbreak. "No more! You've done enough! Now leave him be!" He shouted.

   The other Gods protested and started yelling and cursing. "Move out of the way!"

   Wufeng's twin was never a person who liked confrontations and conflict, Xi Qianyu hated conflict in fact, and he was normally a solemn and quiet person. He was in the same level of power as Wufeng but had no need to really use his powers; however - just then - Wufeng felt his twin Xi Qianyu become enraged with fury and could feel his twins bloodlust. 

   His twin stood protectively in front of him. "None of you are allowed to touch him! No more!" Power surged forth and shoved many of the Gods back.

   "What? Your going to take us all on?" Some of them laughed. "Your outnumbered!" 

  Xiang Fen and Hong Li's were still at the forefront of everything, Xiang Fen with her face pale and eyes downturned, not uttering a word and Wufeng's former sworn brother, Hong Li was smirking. 

   Wufeng felt his twin seethed like he had never done before. 

  "Stand down." Xi Qinxing, their big brothers voice came again.

  "What? Big brother, you are allowing this?" 

"You will not understand, but this is for the greater good."

   "The greater good? Are you joking with me? How is torturing him for the greater good? He's done nothing wrong! If anything, all of you are fools because you have no idea of the weight he carries! 

 You don't have a clue! You have no idea about the burdens he has shouldered without a complaint! And you dare to treat him like this?! You have no idea! Call it off, elder brother! Stop all of this!" 

 Wufeng just watched Xi Qianyu with a small smile as the other pleaded for him to their big brother. His twin had always had his back.

Their big brother sighed as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders. 

  Wufeng did feel bad about one thing, knowing his twin could feel his pain, his agony - he only wished he could shield this dear brother of his from it.

 

 Xi Qinxing ordered a few of the Gods to subdue Xi Qianyu, and Wufeng watched his twin struggle against being restrained.

"NO! Don't do this! Brother! Please! Have you gone mad? DON'T DO THIS! Stop, please stop! I'm begging you! Don't!" His twin kept screaming, and crying - red tears falling from his eyes and watching with horror as they resumed their torturing session on Wufeng. "Stop! STOP HURTING HIM! PLEASE!" Xi Qianyu begged.

Blades dried with his blood continued to dig and cut into flesh and bone, peeling away the skin that began to look like strips and pieces of meat and threw them to the side ; and others took to beating him as he bled and bled from the multiple wounds he bore on his body, the poisons in his system preventing Wufeng from healing. 

He could hear his twin screaming still, wailing in grief. The broken smile never left Wufeng's face as he ignored the rest of them who seemed to be enjoying themselves and turned to look at the only being in their realm that cared for him, his twin, Xi Qianyu.

   Their gazes locked, one smiling while the other cried and screamed for him. Wufenb gave the biggest, and last gentlest smile that he could filled with acceptance and adoration for his twin. 

   Their connection has always been the closest and the strongest, and they had been inseparable. When they first came into existence - they had been meant to share the same burden. 

   Wufeng was meant to be the light and his twin was meant to be the dark. But something changed and his twin was free from that burden, and yet it had never changed the closeness of their relationship as twin brothers. They loved each other. 

  Wufeng felt grateful and blessed for his twin. For his dear Xiao Yu, Xi Qianyu. 

  Wufeng summoned the last of his strength and willpower to force himself to speak through a body paralyzed by poison and bleeding. 

  "Thank you, brother." 

And those were the last words he was able to speak.

They had cut off his tongue.

  WuFeng didn't struggle, he couldn't even if he wanted to as they then gouged out his eyes.

  He could no longer speak and nor could he no longer see. Not physically.

   He could still hear though at least, and he heard Xi Qianyu still calling out to him and crying for him; still pleading to the others that tuned him out, to let him go. 

   His twin sobbed and wailed, pleading and begging them to just stop, please stop!

 

 Wufeng kept his fragile smile, even as he was cut to pieces, despite the sheer pain - the utter agony he felt. He kept his smile even as the head was severed from his shoulders and he knew nothing more. 

Thank you, brother…. 

     ~~~~~~~~

  Xi Qianyu stared at Xi Wufeng- as the other, his twin as the other Gods that were present - forced Wufeng's gaze back to them. 

    He watched as they pried open his brothers mouth and sliced off his tongue and watched as the bloody piece of it fell to the ground with a sick wet splat and he saw blood pouring from his twins mouth.

     Xi Qianyu continued to watch and struggle against his restraints as they held his twins head in their palms and dipped their fingers into the sockets of his eyes and then proceeded to gouge his brothers eyes out. 

"AHH!  NOOO! STOP! STOP! PLEASE JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE! LEAVE HIM BE! PLEASE!" he screamed. 

Xi Qianyu's cries went unheard and ignored as he watched Wufeng, his dear twin, his brother… finally get cut to pieces, all the while seeing Wufeng smiling even while the others cut him up piece by piece before severing the h ead from his shoulders.



Xi Qianyu was forced to watch in desperate horror, in despair as his twins head fell to the ground with a loud thump and came rolling to a stop all the way at his feet, his brothers empty eye sockets seeped bloody tears. 

 Xi Qianyu wailed, crying as he screamed and screamed and screamed himself hoarse, until his voice could scream no more.

They had cut Xi Wufeng piece by piece, breaking him down until there was nothing left.

Until there was nothing left of his brother that was whole. 

  Xi Qianyu let out a final loud and vocal heartbreaking cry for his brother that shook the entire realm of the Gods like an earthquake once he had been finally released and the other Gods that had been present had dispersed, while the ones that didn't attend were still hiding in their temples. 

 The others left Xi Qianyu alone with all the scattered pieces that were left of his brother Wufeng that were now dissipating into the breeze as if his brother had never existed in the realm. 

"Wufeng! WUFENG!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~

No one could, or would answer his cry.

The twin left behind bowed his head over his brothers fading remains and cried. 

The dried blood of his brother soon faded from the realm as well.

Xi Wufeng was gone...

1