Chapter 221 – Sun Dynasty
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Golden Florence, this has to be it." Cain grinned as he passed a few people.

The Golden Florence was a fancy inn near the city's heart. Inside, Cain found his surroundings filled with flowers and women. It wasn't so much an inn as it was a brothel.

There was a lingering smell of lavender, and vines hung down as smoke filled the building. Fabrics flowed, and skin touched; it was a place of debauchery.

An attendant came beside Cain. "Ah, hello customer! Care to enjoy a drink? Or perhaps you wish to taste some of our finer delicacies? Our stock is filled with exotic mixed-bloods, but if you want something pure, we have that too, for a higher price, of course."

"I'm just here to meet someone," Cain replied plainly. 

The man clasped his hands in understanding. "I see, let me know if I can do anything for you in the meantime." He backed away and left Cain alone.

'So even brothels hold purebloods in high esteem. It seems the entire culture is around how purebloods are like gods compared to the mixed. There is even a part of the city where mixed-bloods can live.  Mixed-bloods that have earned their freedom over the years live there, but even now they work in terrible conditions to barely survive; they would be better off as a slave....'

Cain went deeper into the brothel. As he walked around, many of the women would touch him with reddened faces. He had none of it and went to the second floor.

'My contact should be by the sun statue.'

In the Sun dynasty, the statue of the sun was the symbol of the royal family. The statue could be found in any establishment and was a sign of subservience. The royal family were considered gods, far above even the Cultivators.

'Oh, there he is.' Spotting a cloaked gentleman sitting near a sun statue, Cain walked over and sat with him.

"Lingering light always finds a way," the cloaked man said.

"Through the cracks and out of the darkness," Cain responded.

"You are his Disciple?"

Cain grinned, "I am." He spoke proudly.

The cloaked individual looked Cain up and down. "Follow me, this place isn't a place for talking."

He stood up, and Cain followed. They descended the stairs and exited through a backdoor into an alley. From there, they took multiple twists and turns.

Cain was lost the second time they switched alleys, he didn't know where they were heading.

Eventually, they stopped. The cloaked man looked around one last time, and only then did he remove his hood and reveal himself. It was a middle-aged man with blonde hair and a beard showing white patches.

'A mixed blood.' Cain's defenses dropped a bit; he found mixed-bloods similar to contaminants. They were far more humble and kind than purebloods.

"I am Hendrick, my Lord. The Royal Family asked your master's help because of his close ties with the late emperor. As of right now, we believe Demonic Cultists are hiding within the Palace."

'Royal Family? This was a request from the Royal Family of the Sun Dynasty?! Master didn't tell me that!'

Cain settled his mind and cleared his throat, "Ahem, Master sent me to help so I will help. What do you need from me?"

Hendrick's eyes glistened, "Thank you, Lord! All the Palace requests is for you to be on the lookout for anything fishy. The cultists hide well, so the Emperor only wishes that you live in the palace and act as a State Teacher."

A State Teacher was a position with no power; it was an honorary title the Dynasty would give to Cultivators who were given the mission to protect the Dynasty by their Sects. Currently, there was only one other State Teacher; they were from the Unmoved Spirit Sect.

State Teachers didn't have any duties to allow the Cultivator freedom.

Their only goal was to protect the Palace and teach the young princesses and princes the way of cultivation if the Emperor's children chose to walk that path.

Cain quickly knew what Hendrick meant. 'So I would be getting a vacation, and all I have to do is look out for anything suspicious? Master is the best!'

He immediately agreed, "I would be happy to become a State Teacher."

Hendrick clasped his hands. "Excellent! Lord, let me bring you to the Palace to meet the Emperor; he will be most pleased!"

Sun City was the capital of the Dynasty, so the Palace was in its innermost center. It wasn't a far walk from where they already were.

When night fell, Hendrick had brought Cain through a secret entrance and taken him to one of the Royal gardens where the Emperor was waiting to meet with him.

Sitting in a gazebo, a young man with blonde hair leisurely sipped some wine while looking at the sky. He stared at the moons while enjoying the nightly breeze.

Hendrick immediately prostrated before this man. "My Emperor, I have brought Fang Yuan's Disciple."

The man in the gazebo looked over and saw Cain.

He smiled mysteriously. "Good, Hendrick, you can rest. I will entertain my guest."

Hendrick bowed, "Thank you, Lord."

Cain watched the slave leave and turned back to the man enjoying the night.

"Come sit, my friend! I have wine and a good view!" The cup swooshed as the man leaned back.

Apprehensive, Cain walked over and sat down; the man immediately poured him a drink and handed it to him.

"Oh, I am Sun Xiang if you haven't heard my name. I am the Emperor of this Dynasty, the child of Golden Blood. I wish to thank you again; your master was good friends with my Father in his later years."

Cain sipped the wine and found it to his liking.

He then gave courtesy to the lord of this land. "I am thankful to the Emperor for seeing me; I have already said I would help. I will do anything in my power to catch the Demonic Cultivators."

Sun Xiang laughed at Cain, "Thank you for the sentiment. Though I don't think you can handle the cultists, I doubt they sent men only in the Founding Stage; there will most likely be Growth Stage Cultists.

"I was hoping the Heavenly Sword Saint would come himself, but it matters not; I have many ears, and they all say you hold a place in Fang Yuan's heart. Simply enjoy my good treatment."

A bit of pride inside Cain died. Although he understood he was only in the Founding stage, he had killed a late-stage Founding Stage earlier; that had to count for something right? This Emperor was just too condescending, yet he still didn't come off as arrogant. 

"If that is all, then I will take my leave, Emperor."

Sun Xiang waved his hand; he no longer held Cain in his sight, "Yes, go. Let me enjoy the scenery. Tomorrow I will confer you the State Teacher title."

Cain silently gritted his teeth and left. Sun Xiang's eyes didn't leave the sky even once.

His glass swooshed again. "Ah, so beautiful. Tonight is a good night."

Sun Xiang's eyes lingered for a long time; no one knew what was going on in his mind. His court was at risk, yet he didn't have a care in the world.

0