Chapter 50 – The Defiant Slave
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A month had passed since Cain escaped from the Puffrid Military.

Anders was sitting in a chair, inside a large manor.

Since Targan's death, the elders of the family had trouble finding a suitable replacement. No other son in the family was as skilled and talented as Targan until they found Anders.

Anders had joined the Garsh family due to his relations with Rebecca. But he still wasn't recognized so he trained day in and out to improve. 

One of the elders saw Anders practicing in the yard and was amazed by his skill. From there, Anders was fully supported by the family, and he quickly married Rebecca to become the new young master.

He now had everything he could wish for wealth, power, resources, all of it. Anders could be said to have a perfect life. However, he was bitter.

That day when he broke into a rage and was dealt with as if he was nothing by Cain created a chasm deep in his heart. Since that day, Anders had been unsatisfied even when he was now living this life he could only dream of before.

Feelings emerged: inadequacy, disdain, and boredom. He felt his life was fleeting and had no meaning.

Anders became despondent, which worried Rebecca, but all she could do was watch as time went on.

Rebecca had long forgotten about Cain and her own brother. She relished in her husband's position and took advantage of it to get revenge on everyone who wronged her in the family. Anders did nothing to stop her, he was already lost and cared little for anything around him.

Anders would simply spend the day in his office doing paperwork or reading the newspaper to pass the time. Despite this, on a fateful day, he picked up the newspaper that would change him.

He picked up the paper and saw something he couldn't believe. His hands shook as he read the words loudly inside his head.

'The Defiant Slave. A contaminant called Cain killed tens of soldiers in an escape after being found out to be a contaminant. He is suspected to be a part of the contaminant group that caused the destruction of Free City. Other information states he is also the murderer of the patriarch of the Kushen family, Victor Kushen, as well as Targan Garsh of the Noble Garsh family that resides in Barch. This Defiant Slave is extremely dangerous and if you have any information, please contact your local authorities...'

Anders's eyes darted through the rest of the newspaper in excitement. He put it down after finding nothing more but still sat back in his chair, laughing hysterically.

'You're an enemy of the whole world! ...You also lied! You were the one who caused that event, the event that caused my family to die! You need to be eradicated! I will destroy you myself...Master!'

Anders's eyes were red with hatred. He felt the hole in his heart mend, a new purpose filled him.

'I will kill you for everyone who died because of you! I will rid the world of your existence and hunt you down like the monster you are!'

In his rage, he broke the desk in front of him.

Eventually, Anders calmed down and relaxed. He contemplated how he would find and kill Cain.

'I need information and influence to succeed... I should drain the Garsh family of everything it can give me before heading to the Capital of the Empire.'

'Cain... I will lay you to rest even if I sacrifice everything!"

...

A cloaked figure was riding a horse along a riverbank. In front of him was a great city protected by no walls.

The figure was heading to this city, and that figure was Cain.

After a month of hiding and making sure no one was tracking him, Cain went to a small village and changed his clothes before setting off to this city.

The city was Carc, many of whom called it the real capital of Puffrid. This was because it was bigger than Peoria and held the majority of the Kingdom's population.

Carc was one of the first cities ever built and was huge beyond measure, but it still only held a flickering candle to the size of Free City and the Empire's capital.

But even so, Carc was a major city of trade where many people went to start new lives or simply to have a more comfortable one. After all, it was the third greatest city in Netherane, which could now be said to be the second greatest city with Free City off the map.

Cain planned to travel here, he had made enemies with the Empire and did minimal damage compared to what he did to Puffrid so it was a far better choice.

Nevertheless, he had to hide, and Carc was the perfect place to do so.

As he neared the city, he saw massive ruins of similar size across the river. Cain was surprised a city was built so close to ruins.

The ruins were huge, this enigma made his curiosity reach the size of the ruins themselves

To enter Carc, it costs someone 2 copper. Cain easily paid the fee to the guard, and as he passed into the city, he tried to satisfy his curiosity.

Cain asked the guard, "What's with the ruins on the other side of the river?"

"That? Carc used to span to the other side of the river, but that part of the city was destroyed in a past war. The ruins are what remains of the city. No one rebuilds because of fear it could happen again. The only reason Carc wasn't fully destroyed was because the bridge leading to this side was destroyed during the retreat"

"Isn't Peoria near here? Did they attack the capital as well?"

The guard sighed. He seemed he get these questions often, "The capital was heavily defended, and they didn't expect them to attack Carc which was a mistake. You can learn more in the city's library. It's their second-biggest public library in the world now."

Most people believed Netherane to be the 'World'. It wasn't that they weren't informed that Netherane was only a territory in the world.

However, with no one returning after leaving many people just equated Netherane to the world. 

It was their world. 

Cain thanked the guard and entered the city, feeling refreshed as his curious mind was satiated. He straight away headed for an inn in the outer areas of the city. He was amazed to find an inn that operated uniquely. The owner had multiple buildings he would rent out for months at a time. The buildings were all connected, and the connected part was used as a bar and an area to eat for tenants.

Cain heard many people just live there and have been for many years. He then learned that the rooms were quite big and could house families, he was amazed by such a weird system the owner set in place.

Promptly buying himself a room for the next month, Cain went to the bar to have something to eat.

He had been living off rabbits the whole way to Carc and could only eat one every few days due to scarcity.

Cain sat down on a stool and ordered a drink, as well as some roasted venison with bread. The meal cost him almost a whole silver due to wheat shortages.

As he ate, Cain was tapped on the shoulder by the man next to him. He turned to see a face of astonishment and admiration.

"Is it really you, Lord Cain?"

Cain was startled by the question before remembering the person's face.

"Freddie?"

1