Chapter 73 – Puppet
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You know, I was surprised when I received a letter from Mayor Lugh all those years ago. Detailing that he knew who the Defiant Slave was and that he was in Carc. I didn't believe him at first, but when he ended up dead a while later... I took his words as truth. And now, color me surprised when I heard of a new religion originating from Carc. Put two and two together, and I think I know the truth"

'Yet you did nothing with such information. Fool...'

Cain listened in silence, a knowing smile playing on his lips, as he allowed the King to continue.

"Now, Mr. Cain. I have a religion that has taken most of my city from me, and every day more of my civilians defect to your false religion. Tell me, am I supposed to take this as a declaration of war?"

Cain grinned as he said, "Well, it's not like I expected this to happen. I was focused on my own research for the past decade, living in seclusion. I had no idea you would allow them to gain control over your own people."

The King clenched his fists, his knuckles turning white. His face twisted in a sinister smirk as he towered over Cain, relishing in his perceived superiority.

"You dare! I am the King! I am the Ruler of this Nation! You are just a false god who doesn't even know the truth of this world! A frog at the bottom of a well!"

"Oh? And what is the truth, if you don't mind me asking?"

The King stood up and stepped down from his thrown to pace around the room, his steps echoing as he spoke with an air of authority.

"Do you think Netherane is the whole world? We are but a small fraction of this infinite prison! Endless lands beyond this place stretch in every direction, with entirely different magics and powers, people who can lift mountains and split seas. They exist outside this place. They are true gods!"

Cain let out a soft chuckle, his eyes filled with amusement, "If you're going to tell me what I already know, then perhaps we should move on from this discussion. Wouldn't it be obvious that there will always be someone stronger in a small place like this? Isn't it obvious that there is more to see than this little swamp?"

The King's voice grew more agitated, his words punctuated by anger.

"Do you think yourself clever? Good... good. You do not understand the true rules of this place, the rules that govern this heap of trash! I am a ruler! I control Netherane! You can never beat me!"

Cain's interest was piqued by the King's obnoxious ravings. He spoke with such certainty, such authenticity that Cain was truly curious about what could give this person such grit.

"So, how will I never be on your level?"

Edward laughed, "Hehehe, fool. There are two ways to gain true power in this place: ruling or gathering. I rule, and there will always be stronger than one who gathers!"

'Oh? This is something I truly don't know'

Cain's lips curled into a wry smile, "Well, then could you explain it to this fool?"

"I would be happy to enlighten the ignorant! Of these two ways to gain actual strength, ruling is achieved by controlling a territory, being a King of something, a ruler of a territory or land.

"Gathering is done by wandering and acquiring different powers from various places, making them your own. Not only does this take a long time, but it is also prone to setbacks and missteps."

'Vague.'

"So, how is a ruler stronger than a gatherer?" Cain questioned.

The King began to walk around the room, explaining with disdain for Cain.

"Rulers are strong from the start, and they grow simply by expanding their influence. While gatherers progress slowly and often die of old age or miscalculations in the process, rulers only have to focus on one source of power and expand! It's much simpler and more direct. They are always more powerful than gatherers because as their influence grows, so does their territory's power, and the ruler benefits the most from this!"

Cain pressed Edward, "If that's the case, why hasn't the Empire already swallowed the Puffrid Kingdom?"

"Hahaha, that idiot can't! He needs the core of the territory before he can even begin fusing with it to become a true ruler. If he takes over now the other territories will invade!"

'Core? Is it Numineer?' Cain's mind buzzed, craving more knowledge about this true power Edward mentioned.

"What is a core?"

"You really are an idiot. When a territory is added to the Landfill, its power takes physical form as a core, a crystallization of its essence. The core is the foundation of power that the territory possesses, it is what gives abilities like plague doctors.

"Without the core, these powers would disappear! Netherane had a different power before, but it changed to disease for some unknown reason that my forefathers could never uncover!"

Cain's eyes narrowed on the King, "You seem very forthcoming with all this information."

The King grinned with a cruel glint in his eyes.

"Well, I should inform fools of some truths before their death. Even as a half-ruler, you, not even a gatherer are nothing before me! With that said, any more questions before your demise?"

Cain got smug, "Yes, if I understood correctly, there are two ways to gain what you call real power; ruling or gathering powers from different territories to make your own. So, rulers are made from the cores of their territories. Are there any such cores for gatherers?"

The King thought for a moment before speaking honestly.

"I do not know. The knowledge of my ancestors didn't cover such information. All I know is that gatherers are the majority and are far weaker than rulers. They are usually ousted in most places, as they are technically stealing from those lands. Most people only use one power, that of the place where they were born. Gatherers tread a dangerous path and are often killed."

"So, they are like contaminants?"

Edward paused, "Oh... I forgot you were such a disgusting thing. But yes, you could say that. Though they are far stronger than normal people who stick to one power, unfortunately, all that power is nothing compared to a ruler."

Cain's mind raced as he tried to digest all the information he had been given.

'So, these gatherers... they are like nomads, seeking to harness the diverse powers of different lands, despite the dangers and risks involved. I like the sound of that!'

The King's smile twisted into a malicious grin. "Now, die!"

2