Chapter 76 – Plan to End a Monster
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dimly lit basement, water droplets fell from the ceiling, creating a rhythmic pattern as they hit the worn-out wooden floorboards.

Two groups of people sat at the table filling this tight space.

The table itself was disgusting, with mold growing on its legs, and a thick layer of grime on its surface. Due to the humid environment, the table had a moist texture, with mushrooms growing in small patches, the smell was enough to make anyone cover their nose.

On either side, the leaders of each group sat, staring at one another for a while. One of their subordinates was about to speak, but Anders abruptly began to talk.

"It's time to kill him. I was sent by the Emperor to acquire your aid in this matter."

"Oh? I thought you were training for the past decade to kill him. Was all that training for nothing?"

Anders pounded his fist on the table, breaking it. "I can kill him. But now he has people all over Netherane backing him, so I need you, who has an entire organization at your command, to fight his influence."

Alex leaned back, her golden eyes brightening before dimming again. "I have another plan. I agree we need to fight Cain and his 'Church,' but I don't plan to kill him. I plan to save him."

Alex's words caused her to see Anders's face become twisted, his eyes burning with a mixture of rage and anguish. The scars of loss etched deep within his soul were fueling his emotions.

He struggled to contain his emotions, his voice trembling as he spoke, "Why do you wish to save that monster?! He killed millions! His religion tells people that he will destroy the world!

"How could you want to save that monster? I have trained for a decade, a decade where I did nothing but improve myself with the single thought of killing him driving me! I have lost too much, I have given up everything!"

Sighing, Alex pitied this sad broken man before her. "You do not know the truth. You do not know what really happened."

"And what's that!"

Keeping her indifferent face, she spoke, watching as Anders's face turned to confusion and then heart-wrenching loss.

"Cain didn't cause that invasion. An entity beyond imagination lives underneath Free City. To escape his sealed fate, he created the Zimo virus. His original origin was a godlike entity that blessed these lands, but now he is a parasite that grows from the manipulation and control of humans."

Still silent, Alex continued, "You are not wrong, Cain really is a threat, but the one who fakes being God isn't the real Cain. He is a warped personality born from hatred and grief. Your master should still be in there somewhere, and if not, then we must truly kill him, as his goals are far worse than Numineer's. That is to say, if you would rather be controlled than dead."

Anders was slumped back in his chair, his shoulders hunched, and his gaze fixed on the floor. However, after Alex finished, he began to mutter a few words, "How do you know all of this?"

"Above this room is an altar to the entity Numineer was before his fall, the Great Earth Tree. This entity knew what he was to become in this place, so he made arrangements for a human to gain what was left of his power. He hoped they would find a way to kill this ghastly avatar that was born from him and save Netherane."

"How am I to trust you? Do you have evidence of your claims?"

Smirking, Alex stood up and began to leave the room. She spoke just as she passed Anders, whispering in his ear, "That's for you to decide, but remember, we can still save your master."

The Truth Seekers began to walk upstairs, and Alex announced some final words before she left.

"Servants of the Emperor, you can stay as long as you like. I agree with your request, but please inform your Lord of the hidden enemy. Numineer is far more dangerous than Cain and has already had time to spread his roots."

The Truth Seekers left and the basement now only contained the envoys sent from the Empire. Anders remained still as his mind replayed his life events in his head over and over.

It was like he was reliving his life again, the death of his family, the first time he killed someone, meeting Cain, being trained by him, his hatred, his diligence, this new feeling of being lost, everything he ever felt swept over him.

The envoys from the Empire remained motionless, their minds processing the weight of Alex's revelations. It was only after the silence that someone spoke.

"Captain, should we go?"

After a few more seconds, Anders stood up so quickly that the rest were surprised. His voice once again regained its vigor, and he spoke with confidence, "We must report to the Emperor immediately. If this Numineer is real, we have to begin preparations."

...

Now a few stories above the basement, Alex sat in an office overlooking the city. She was inside the Church on one of its top floors.

The church was renovated and vastly improved, its size and height doubled under the Truth Seekers' efforts in making this place a true base.

Alex was glad she could now employ the help of the Empire and Anders, but she had a feeling of unease. She massaged her hands as she looked out to the city, staring west, having a feeling foreboding.

"Cain, I hope you are not lost. I do not wish to be your enemy, but I must protect this place. I am its guardian, now and forever."

She never had plans to become enemies with Cain, but with him becoming what he was, it was against her nature to ignore such a threat to her people's and Netherane's well-being.

Her feelings were muddled and complicated, but she knew she had to try, try to find the real Cain locked in that monster wearing his flesh.

The door opened, and a Seeker entered. They were the elite of her organization, highly skilled in observations and tracking.

"My Lady, the group from the Empire has departed and headed back to the Royal Palace. Should we send a Seeker to follow?"

"No need. They are now our allies, and we will need them for the coming tide. The next few months could be the beginning of the end for us."

"Is the Defiant Slave and Numineer that much of a threat? Doesn't knowledge translate to strength? Now that we know about them, can't we stop them?"

Alex chuckled, "It is never that easy I'm afraid. Neither of them will go down that easily. Their natures have become as solid as the earth. It will not be easily changed."

...

A group of people in cloaks was traveling through the swamp. The water they traveled through was muddy and up to their knees. Everyone was moving their entire bodies just to take a single step forward.

"Lord, we should be reaching Cardin in about a week. Once we pass through these muddied waters, we will be at the great expanse."

Cain was walking with ease compared to the others; it was almost like he was walking through normal water.

"Good, everybody should pick up the pace. Once we're there, you can have as much food and drink as your stomachs can hold."

The men cheered. Their voices echoed in the swamp as a few birds left the canopy of the trees due to their sound.

2