Chapter 80 – City in Chaos
27 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain put his hand behind his back and pulled out a maul. It appeared to be strapped to his back, but since he was facing Alex, she had never known it was there.

The maul itself had a flat side and a single spike for the other side. It looked rusty and had obviously not been taken care of for a long time. It had red marks that looked similar to dried blood with the handle being black with gold accents wrapping around.

This was the second weapon Cain had taken from the Union's vault, a weapon typically used by strong men. Cain, however, did not look like such a strong man, or at least he didn't appear to be one.

Nevertheless, Alex didn't think Cain would be weak with it, and she was right. Every time she used her tree roots to attack him, he would swing the maul and turn the roots into splinters.

Cain pulverized her attacks without fail!

As he inched closer and closer, appearing casual in his fighting style, outraged knights, decided to charge him due to his nonchalant behavior.

"You think just because you took out a maul you're better now!" One of the knights shouted.

A knight rushed forward at Cain with a longsword in hand. In response, Cain twirled the maul to the other side and waited for him to come near.

The knight, still blinded by anger, got close enough to Cain to strike him while he swung his sword.

As soon as the knight's weapon was in motion, Cain swung the maul up from the side. The pointed side immediately broke through the armor and pierced the knight's skull. The knight's corpse immediately went limp, dropping the sword.

Cain continued to walk forward, dragging the body stuck in the maul. Alex raised her eyes to meet Cain's gaze and saw a stone-cold expression on his face. However, her face turned dark as she heard his words.

Cain's voice resonated with his men, giving them new orders, "Begin to slaughter everyone in the city. Do whatever is in your power to kill as many people as possible.

"Die in the process if you have to."

His subordinates didn't say a word and immediately retreated into the city. The knights stood there on the small battlefield, dread clinging to their hearts. Each of them had family, friends, and partners.

The dread was short-lived as it soon turned to desperation.

As Cain's subordinates disappeared into the city, panic spread like wildfire. The air was quickly filled with screams and the acrid smell of smoke. Chaos consumed the streets, and the once thriving city transformed into a nightmarish realm.

The knights immediately left to chase after the zealots, panic hidden under their helmets. The last remaining guard with Alex whispered to her, "I will go inform the order to call for backup."

Alex nodded, but as she did, she took her eyes off Cain, which turned out to be a mistake.

Out of nowhere, a kick struck her stomach, sending her flying. The guard immediately ran away, while Cain walked over to Alex, who was groaning in pain on the ground.

"You're going to get more sacrifices, huh? Well, don't worry, I'm leaving anyway. I've wasted too much time coming to get that rune smith. Enjoy my believers, though. They're exploding with kindness, hehe!"

Xavier walked out of the building with a traveling bag. "Master, are we leaving now?"

"Yes, this place will soon become ruins," Cain replied.

Alex watched as Cain laughed at the deaths of so many. Her rage exploded as she screamed while gasping for air.

"CAIN! I'll kill you! You must die! I will kill you!"

She watched as Cain ignored her and left with Xavier, disappearing into the chaos of the streets. By now, Cain's minions had spread all over the city, massacring anyone they saw. If any of them were pushed to the edge, Alex would soon be hearing explosions.

Cain did say they had lots of kindness.

Alex's mind raced, thoughts swirling like a tempest within her. She lay on the ground, pain pulsating through her body, each breath a struggle. Time seemed to slow, giving her a brief respite to reflect.

Cain's kick was so strong that it had broken a few of her ribs and damaged some of her organs. She could do nothing but lie there. It was only when she was about to pass out that she heard yelling.

Looking over, she saw her men rushing to her side with medical equipment and tools. She passed out just as they reached her. Her consciousness drifted away.

...

When she woke up, she found herself in a medical room inside the headquarters of her order. Frantically looking around, she caught the eye of a surprised doctor.

"My Lady, you're awake! This is good news! I will go get someone."

Still drowsy, Alex managed to say a few words, "Wait, doctor. Do you know what happened? Did my men stop those fanatics?"

"We did succeed... however, it's no good. Many buildings were destroyed, and almost one-third of the population was killed or unaccounted for. We have been providing support to the survivors, but many people are injured or missing. The city is in chaos."

Alex clenched her fists, her nails digging into her flesh and causing her to bleed.

'Cain! I will kill you if it's the last thing I do! You can no longer be saved!'

After an hour, many of Alex's close confidants visited her and told her about the situation in the city. It was hell. Debris was scattered everywhere, and cries and screams filled the air. Her order was exhausted, and they were spread too thin.

After a long time of thinking, Alex finally made a decision.

"Send a seeker to the Empire. Tell them we need aid. If they help us, we will support them in anything they need, no matter what."

...

Two travelers were on a raft heading southeast. It was Cain and Xavier the puppet. Cain was content about sending the city into chaos. Alex seemed to know things he didn't, so slowing down her plans was a must. Sacrificing the expendables was all worth it if Alex's plans were stopped in their tracks.

He was already so close to finishing his plan for Netherane. All that was left was waiting. During this time, he wanted to find out the last secrets of this swamp before he left to travel the world.

1