Chapter 92 – Rise in Conflict
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By now, news of the Emperor's death had spread everywhere, no matter how far or rural the location. Emperor Julius Salazar was assassinated and killed within his own Palace. It was reported that he had been killed by Alchemic magic, but nothing more was said from the Royal Palace.

A massive investigation ensued, with the Royal Family scouring everywhere for clues to identify the perpetrator of this horrid act. Julius was not the only Grade 4 in the Royal Family, but he was the most powerful one by far, as he was close to reaching Grade 5.

This event caused a ripple through the political situation throughout the Empire.

On the surface, everything seemed as usual, but underneath, horrid acts were taking place. Royal factions fought each other, while the Nobles would side with their own factions or secretly join the rebellion brewing in the streets.

Death hung over the land, shrouded in mystery. Some perished without explanation, while others fell victim to insidious poison.

Each act, a part of the sinister machinations to grasp control over the nation with the lofty title of Empire. However, they couldn't see the truth; they had already lost their influence and their grasp on Netherane itself.

In secret, the Rebels provided aid to King Edward of Puffrid, who was busy devising plans for an all-out assault on the Empire.

King Edward didn't even need to subdue his nobles, as they supported all his efforts after hearing of Julius's death. With a unanimous agreement, Edward began amassing funds to fuel his war, gaining information from the Church and Rebellion while ensuring everything went according to Cain's plan.

The deaths of Augustus and Julius shattered Anders, leaving him utterly broken. But even in this state, he saw hope. He deserted his post and headed deep into the swamp to join a cause he felt had a chance against Cain.

He would spend time traveling, improving his swordsmanship, and studying the few updated books he had, attempting to reach at least the next Grade before war erupted.

The place Anders sought in hope had already begun showing it. With the death of the Emperor, Alex took the chance to take back what was hers.

She assaulted the Empire's garrison and eliminated its presence in her city. From there, she calmed her citizens and reinforced the fact that she never wished for what happened and that the Empire would never step into their swamps again.

Taken aback by Alex and her betrayal, many voiced their dissatisfaction, but no one could do anything with Cardin being so far south, and they had their own problems to contend with.

All factions in the Empire were simultaneously dealing with plots and schemes from their inner circles while fighting off the other factions. No one had time to worry about a single city.

Alex took this opportunity to strengthen her position and turn her Order into something that could potentially hinder the Pestilence church if its ideals had time to spread.

Even so, her order became stronger, and her city returned to her. With Anders' arrival a few months later, her order gained an even stronger foundation.

The two would spend numerous nights planning out their strategies to destroy Cain and Numineer, thinking of ways they could achieve this no matter the cost.

Like the church, they soon began to spread out and combat the church's influence, their beliefs contradicting each other.

The Pestilence Church's hold on Netherane did loosen, but it did nothing to harm them, and it was only a small victory for the Order of Truth.

Alex knew she couldn't rely on any country, as they planned to fight with themselves or each other. All she could do now was to create her own organization like Cain's that she could use for her own goals.

With that, a certain tension grew in Netherane. No matter the position in society, everyone could feel the day coming when a war unlike all previous wars was about to erupt.

Fear gripped some hearts, while excitement filled others. But the only truth in this impending period was that whoever came out on top would get all the spoils.

What was to come would be something that could kill before the mutations disease could. The swamps would turn red, cities would be abandoned, and those who died would lament as hungry ghosts.

The upcoming age will plunge Netherane into an era of war and bloodshed. Evils will roam freely, while virtues are thrown in the mud as people trample one another for the chance to gain it all.

The one who set all this in motion? Cain had already returned to his castle, where he sat on a throne made from lies and deceit.

Deep underground, below the Main Church of Pestilence, he stood before a giant hall filled with his most elite and trustworthy followers. Each person present had surpassed mere zealotry, entering the realm of madness, forsaking sanity for their God.

He was giving a speech. No one knew it was him who killed the Emperor, but they knew he had gained something that would change the board with his trip. Everyone present heard Cain's state when he returned, uncontrollably laughing in hysteria. When asked why he was laughing, he simply responded, "A joke."

They didn't know what this joke was or what Cain was referring to, but they knew he had grown more powerful from his mere presence. 

Even now, as he stood above them, a bone-chilling feeling of dread and inanity emanated from Cain. It was as if the being before them transcended mortality, gazing upon humans with an otherworldly perspective.

"Today, I will be announcing my seclusion. I expect all matters to be handled by my bishops and pope. During this period, I want all of you to get stronger. War is opposing us, and only the strong will survive. When the time of this war is upon us, I will lead you, lead you to take what is rightfully yours, for I am your messiah, your God!"

Cheers resounded in the hall, echoing throughout the structure. Cain was internally rolling his eyes as he left the scene. He would rather begin his studies on the new object he obtained, for it held his chance to gain freedom in one fell swoop. A chance to destroy Numineer and leave everything behind with no regrets.

'I wonder how long it will take for war to descend and flood these lands in blood. It will be a race against time, I suppose. Even so, I should have enough time as I already have some ideas hehe.'

Like many times before, Cain entered his laboratory as his subordinates did their jobs and grew. The time would soon be upon us when Armageddon would become reality, and the believers of Cain needed to make sure everything was perfect, as always.

1