Chapter 95 – Era of War
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was night in Salazar City, and a group of nobles gathered in a study to discuss matters.

"Humphrey has been acting suspiciously lately. Do any of you think he might be a spy?"

"Yes, he has been getting close to that maid of one of the Royals."

"That could just be love; he's young after all, and that servant is attractive."

"It doesn't matter! He shouldn't be getting so close to the Royals when we're about to take over. It's been a year since that foolish Emperor's death, and the Royals have finally been weakened enough for a takeover!"

The nobles from their respective families conversed as they discussed new events and information they had encountered.

"Did you hear about the Kushen family? I heard after their patriarch died, they had to marry off to survive. I heard the patriarch's daughter was sold off and given to some lecherous old man; she killed herself not a month later."

"I heard about that! Did you also know his son tried to kill that same old man? He succeeded and went into hiding. There have been wanted posters of him in some bars, I hear. They call him the Vindictive Noble."

"You two must not know the full story. He tried to escape to the rebels but was killed after meeting their leader. I don't know the reason why, but he did die."

The nobles whispered to one another like ladies at a banquet, talking of rumors and suspicions. Then, the man sitting at the desk stood up, commanding their attention.

"I did not bring you here to gossip. I asked you all here to announce something of great importance."

One of the nobles present spoke up, "What is it?"

"I have learned that we have no chance of succeeding. We are not the only noble group vying for authority over the Empire. Even now, the Rebels have become more powerful than all other factions. I found there is only one way left to survive the blood that will be spilled. For my cowardice, I am sorry. May we meet in hell."

"What are you saying?"

"The bastard is saying he sold us out! This is a tra-"

Rebels burst through the door, knocking the noble who was talking to the floor. The rebels surrounded the nobles and started slaughtering them as they squealed like stuck pigs.

It took no effort for these veteran killers to end the lives of the nobles who grew up with a silver spoon. Many of them never fought a day in their lives and drowned themselves in pleasure daily.

With the nobles dead, only one was left—the noble who switched sides. He went to sit back down at his desk as the leader of the rebels walked in, using a white cloth to clean the blood from his blade.

"Ah, General Derick! Delighted to see you here. As I mentioned earlier, I am eager to assist the Rebellion with its goals and offer my unwavering support."

The General snickered. "While I thank you for such support, I'm afraid this is where our partnership comes to an end."

"What?"

The General didn't care to explain and quickly drenched his blade in blood once again. The noble fell on his desk as blood spurted from his neck.

"We're done here, let's meet with the others. The assault on the Palace will come after we secure Salazar."

...

Throughout Salazar, the Rebels embarked on a ruthless campaign to eradicate the opposing factions. Blood flowed from the manors, leaving bloodied imprints as they moved on.

Nobles and Royals met their end, along with their supporters. Merchants and political figures were swept away like mere flies. Everyone lost, many believed no one would survive, that civilization would die in the ashes of war. It was already a miracle Netherane could survive this long, with its people uncapable of even feeding themselves. 

The Rebels were a formidable force, consisting of many augmenters. Anyone ranked above captain augmenters in the middle rank or higher. Against the remaining guards, these troops were like an endless wave sweeping away sticks.

The Rebels proved more potent than the Empire's military, as they were drawing strength from an entire country and a Church that spanned the whole territory. Endless resources were given to the Rebellion, while the Nobles and Royals could only squander what they had.

It was inevitable for this slaughter to commence, the Rebels only needed to know where they would be. In a single fortnight, all the Nobles in the domain of Salazar City were massacred, with heads stuck on pikes and plastered around the walls.

During this extermination, the Rebellion faced some setbacks. They encountered formidable adversaries, and even their augmenters couldn't match the might of 3rd Grade Plague Doctors. Fortunately, no one they targeted held a higher rank, so the casualties were within their expectations.

But this wasn't the end of it. Their leader had become strong, with multiple resources and a gift from the Church, he had become unrecognizable from his former weak self.

During the purge, he had gathered the rest of his troops outside the Royal Palace in preparation to finish the Royal Faction.

In less than a week, he surrounded the Palace and began its siege. But it wasn't enough; the Palace had stores of food, and they didn't have time to wait it out.

At midday, The leader's voice resonated through the ranks, rallying his men before the all-out assault.

"Brothers! We've fought to free ourselves from the grip of the corrupt nobility and royalty. But our work is far from over! We must take it a step further and cleanse this land of corruption. No one shall remain oppressed by these smug hypocrites! Today, we charge into that Palace, sparing none in our wake! Even the children of tyranny must be eliminated to uproot the deep-seated corruption! After today, true freedom shall be ours!"

He raised his battle axe he acquired from a Royal he killed; it was a runic weapon. The leader then pointed it at the large gate that defended the Royals and screamed.

"CHARGE!"

Battle horns sounded, and the army he had accumulated yelled until their lungs were empty as they ran toward the Palace. As the horns of war blared, the Era of blood and war began.

2