Chapter 100 – War Erupts
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dim, smoky bar in Cardin, people leaned over oak tables, murmuring and whispering to one another about recent troubling events while nursing mugs of fragrant mead.

"Didya hear? The rebels were massacred, almost to a man! The palace was brimmin' with corpses!"

"The entire royal line, massacred overnight," the first man whispered in shock. "Does this mean the nobles will now claw for power, plunging the empire into chaos?"

"Rebel remnants still exist, and with all that's happened, the Kingdom has to invade."

"But what about our Federation? We wouldn't let them take over the Empire."

A group of city guards conversed as they took gulps of their mead. News traveled fast about the events that occurred at the Royal Palace, and its battle was widely known. So, when no force declared who won the battle, many people traveled there to find out.

All who traveled there were met with gruesome sights, corpses half-consumed by fungus, ravaged by feasting birds and maggots. The gruesome sight ignited outrage across the empire.

The royals were done for, while the Rebels and Nobles remained, but both factions had almost nothing left.

No one knew what happened at the Palace, but what was known was that the Empire was ready for the taking.

However, neither the Federation nor the Kingdom went for this piece of meat. People waited on tenterhooks for either side to stake its claim on the empire that had ruled Netherane for nearly a millennium.

It got to a point where some people were pulling out hairs, with the suspense killing them. For a full week, silence prevailed. None could discern the leaders' thoughts, their stoic facades betraying nothing.

Behind the scenes, both powers had different reasons for waiting.

....

A noble strode into the throne room, tailed by a procession of Royal Guards. He dropped to one knee before the throne.

"My King Puffrid," he began, "I come as an envoy of the Noble Faction. We are...confused as to why you haven't invaded the Empire yet. It is ripe for conquest, giving us an advantage over the Federation."

Edward looked at the Noble with dull and empty eyes, his aura commanding silence as his cold and flat voice spread out.

"It is useless. Not only would we spread our forces thin, but another Faction has already taken that place."

"My King? What force?"

"The one who will also be taking over us. The only force worthy of my servitude, the Church of Pestilence."

With widened eyes, the Noble was able to fumble out a few words, "M-my King, are you serious?"

"Yes. Henceforth, this kingdom will become a vassal of the Church...and I its serf. Nobles who do not kneel will perish. But separating the defiant from the compliant could take too long—the endgame hastens. So I decree the abolition of all nobles in this realm. Either leave...or die."

....

In a large Church-like building in Cardin, Alex and Anders were conversing with their generals and envoys sent by the leaders of Aprord and Ansross.

"My Lady, do you have any clues as to why the Kingdom hasn't attempted to take over the Empire? They have no leadership, and its cities are plummeting into chaos. It's the perfect time to strike!"

"There would be only one...the Church."

Anders exchanged an ominous look with Alex before seizing the chance to explain, hints of their dark plotted revenge glinting in his eyes.

"The Church may have done something to the King. We have information that Cain met him, and after that, his personality changed, as well as the disappearance of the princess and a general. We believe Cain did something to take control of the King or killed him and put a fake in his place."

"You mean?"

"Yes, the Kingdom has fallen to the Church and is waiting for us to make a move so they can attack us. The Empire is doomed to collapse, and the refugees will flock to both sides, evening out the playing field."

"What do we do?"

Anders was going to speak when Alex put her finger over his lips.

"The only thing we can do is wait. I have a feeling we will know the truth soon."

Just as she said that, a knock came at the door.

"Come in," one of the generals shouted.

The door opened, and a startled soldier fumbled in, wearing the uniform of the Order.

"My Lady, news from Ansross..."

Apparently, nobles from the Kingdom have fled there after being kicked out by the King. Some tried to fight back against the King's decree of destroying the Noble faction, but all resistance was killed.

"What else, my Seeker?" Alex's voice was sweet and calming, and the soldier calmed down as he calmly explained the rest.

"One of the Nobles said that the King plans to make Puffrid a Vassal under the new Empire...led by the Church."

Silence captured the room as everyone became solemn. Alex smiled as her voice lifted their spirits.

"Do not fret; Anders and I have prepared for this. We have made a plan to kill Cain without jeopardizing the Federation. Let's wait to see these events unfold and take advantage of them instead of letting them crush our spirits.

.......

Salazar City.

In the oak-paneled governor's office, sunlight streamed through stained glass windows behind the massive mahogany desk where the merchant sat grinning, having maneuvered his recent election success.

'If I can take advantage of the situation, can't I become the new emperor? I'm getting jittery just thinking about it!"

Just then, a priest wearing the attire of the Church walked in. Startled, the merchant got angry at the intrusion.

"Who are you? From the Church? Make an appointment!"

The priest's smile slowly spread into a sinister grin as he withdrew the ancient ceremonial dagger, etched with arcane symbols, from within his robes. The merchant's protests turned to horror as he realized his power was meaningless in this moment.

"What are you doing?! Get away!"

Wielding the knife with precision, the merchant died under the blade. Keeping his smile, the Priest muttered a few words.

"For God."

In the City square, Bishop Cassian mounted a podium facing scores of citizens. His eminent voice boomed out, captivating the hearts of all who listened.

"I am here with a decree from God! Today, the Church of Pestilence announces its leadership over the Empire. Do not worry, Lambs of God, for we will do everything in our ability to help and improve everyone's lives! I stand here to declare the administrative abilities that our Church will provide, all of which will not take autonomy away from the people. I will now begin the list-"

As Cassian spoke passionately to the people, his personally trained followers were simultaneously spread out across Salazar and other cities.

They preached the new governance of the Church and announced the Church's takeover of the Empire and Kingdom.

Having finished, Cassian uttered the crucial words that would divert Netherane's fate from that moment on, sealing its violent trajectory.

"-With this, we also announce we will only take volunteers to join the military. For what I will now announce will cause an uproar....for the slander of our lord and the vicious lies the Order of Truth have sown into the people's hearts, we announce our declaration of war on the Federation! May God be with us!"

1