Chapter 107 – Summit
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

News spread throughout Netherane of a delegation from the Federation and Church meeting in Free City to go over some deal. The majority didn't know what this entailed, and even those well-informed were told it was a meeting for a ceasefire.

In truth, it was Alex going to meet Cain. She had agreed to meet him to hear what he wants; in return, she hopes to gain the straw that will get her a chance at everything.

Of course, she won't be going to this meeting alone. A large delegation was made to appear official as well as serve as her protection. If this was a trap, she wouldn't want to die. Even if she lost everything, Alex would never give up on her life.

The delegation prepared to set off as Alex left everything to Anders. For the last few days, he has been asking her to reconsider, but Alex was adamant on going.

Anders paced the length of the map room, brow furrowed. He pleaded with Alex not to go, but she rarely heeded advice once set on a decision.

This meeting was a viper's nest. He should have put his foot down as her comrade, yet he understood they were backed into a corner.

"Tread carefully," he murmured. If anyone could match wits with Cain and emerge unscathed, it was Alex. Her brilliance was matched only by her courage. All he could do was keep the home fires burning and defend their home.

With everything ready, the Federation's delegation boarded a small ship and headed to their location ahead of time. They were deep in the swamps and were moving against time, after all.

...

On that day, a large delegation of elite soldiers left the Federation's capital of Cardin. A week later, a delegation from Carc left for Free City as well. Three days after the Church's delegation left, both parties reached Free City.

The years didn't treat the city well. The walls were beginning to crumble, and the buildings in the outer ring have already done so.

The collapsed buildings stretched for as far as the eye could see.

They navigated through rubble-strewn alleys where weeds crept over crumbled walls. The only sounds were the wind keening through empty windows and the crunch of carriage wheels over broken stones. The desolate ruins reeked of decay, as if the city itself had become a giant tomb.

Rubble and destruction were the only things remaining in this place. Even the zombies soon left after their food source became scarce.

Unlike the Union, after the siege of Free City, a hunt for the undead went underway over the years. It was a campaign that stretched all of Netherane, as men and women alike would hunt these weak creatures who could only pose a threat in groups.

The threat of undead in today's age was slim to none. Barely any were left after the humans purged them from the earth and scorched the swamps, finishing off the remaining ones who were deep in the swamps only surviving off fresh carcasses.

The delegation from the Federation passed through the ruined streets, heading deeper into the city. The meeting place was at its center, the Headquarters of the former Plague Doctor Union.

It took a while to reach the center. Alex felt bored, as all she could hear was the spiraling wheels of her carriage as they rolled over rocks and pebbles.

The Inner ring of the city looked better than its outer counterpart. Some of its buildings still remained undamaged due to its fine craftsmanship, but sadly the scene of destruction and ruin didn't change much.

Entering the core of the city, Alex began to reminisce about her life she once lived in this place. She was an orphan who worked her way up as an assistant in one of the hospitals plague doctors would spend time working at.

Alex never thought of herself as lucky, but the day she met her master, she felt she was luck personified. She helped her master reattach a worker's leg that was crushed under some lumber. Her exquisite work caught his eye, and after a few tests, she was found to be talented.

He took her in and brought her here where she trained under him, eventually entering the notorious school Nevarus due to her master being a famous Grade 3 Plague doctor. Her life was good, and she had many friends and met Cain, who she found was a great leader even though he took a hands-off approach.

The carriage hit a rut, jolting Alex from her brooding. She caught a glimpse of a building's marble pillars, once glittering white, now stained grey with age.

A memory flashed. She and Cain were strolling across the academy courtyard under the sun, talking about the tournament and missions they took recently.

She shook away the nostalgia. That time was gone.

Thinking of Cain muddled her mind as flashbacks of her meeting him destroyed the happy memories she had.

Alex gazed out the carriage window. Cain was not the man she once knew. The Cain she knew had died long ago, consumed by madness and bloodlust. Could she control her rage when facing the monster he'd become?

Her hand hovered outside the carriage window. She could feel some plants and roots deep below. She will fight if she must, if he dared threaten her and her people again. For now, she took a long breath, steadying her resolve.

Unknown soldiers soon entered her eyes. They walked around a camp made from the ruins of the city as they ate food or talked to one another. Alex noticed how some wore priest robes while others combat uniforms or basic attire.

But all these people had one thing: an emblem of a blood-red willow branch was etched into the fabric they were wearing. The carriage came to a stop, and she stepped out into an environment she didn't expect.

Children played on the rocks as adults watched while drinking wine. Music was played over fires as cards were played, and laughter could be heard. It was a lively atmosphere, but something seemed...off.

Alex stared at the people around her as she traveled through the streets surrounded by guards. The Church members ignored her for a while, but she soon saw glances of a few as her eyes met theirs.

To those who kill others, it changes the mind, and those trained in seeing such tells could find out about a person. Usually, such people have wisdom, and Alex had the wisdom and knowledge of a tree that lived for eons.

She now knew the scene around her held a dark silver lining. As eyes glanced again and again as she got the feeling of chills, and her hair stood on end.

Without a doubt, everyone in the Church's camp was a cold-blooded murderer. The child balancing a knife over and over on his fingertip.

Nearby, a man casually used a whetstone to sharpen a sword, eyes trained on Alex's party. The red emblem on their robes seemed to burn like fresh blood.

These were not simply followers, but fanatics honed into lethal weapons. They gave off a sense of danger as Alex felt like the smell of blood stuck to the air.

She was surrounded by murderers who could take a life as if it was grass.

"Welcome, friends of the Federation." Everyone in the delegation turned to see a young man with purple hair.

Austin drawled, lips curled in a razor-thin smile. "We've been expecting you. My flock and I find these ruins...quaint, don't you? Now, let's get down to business, we have all spent time enough here. My master was wondering if you would make an appearance."

Alex stared at Austin as her mind set off alarms. The one in front of her was incredibly dangerous. She felt that her entire escort wasn't enough to escape him.

"Ah, I didn't introduce myself. I am the one who sent the letter under the Lord's orders. I am the Pope of the Pestilence Church, Austin. Pleased to meet you."

0