Chapter 120 – Duchy of Plymouth
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking through a red field, Cain stopped at a familiar spot and began digging.

By the time night fell, Cain had hit something solid and unearthed his prized possessions. It was a sealed crate where he had placed his belongings 100 years prior.

Using his bear-like strength, he lifted the top off the wood with a single pull. Inside, he found some clothes, a maul, his Yurombi, and the Zimo virus he had augmented.

Cain was wearing rags, so he quickly changed into the prepared adventuring clothes. They had brown boots and a military-style design, with black and red colors, giving Cain a unique look due to the clothing choice and colors.

Now dressed, he attached his maul to his belt and placed his daggers behind his back as usual, fitting them inside their custom horizontal scabbards.

But before that, he used them to give his beard a trim and cut his long straight hair. He now looked like a normal human being with short hair and a stubble.

Finally, he picked up the vial containing the virus.

Cain frowned, shaking it around, his frown deepened.

'As I thought, the virus died out. Not that it matters; it would probably be weaker with all that's happened anyway. Hah... time to leave.'

He threw the vial and surveyed his surroundings, he was in a red field as dark as blood. Some trees were growing from the ground, but none had reached adulthood yet. Cain could close his eyes and feel like the scene was yesterday, playing out before him.

In this very field, he orchestrated a massive battle that caused Netherane to plummet into nothingness. Cain had now effectively taken everything of worth here; there was nothing left for him.

Taking a deep breath, his face brightened, and he began to talk to himself, "I should head north. That guy from the outside mentioned a secret path up there, near a waterfall... looks like I'll be traveling through some mountains."

Cain turned half his body into mist as he made his way north.

...

It took half a day, but he reached the foot of a mountain. This place was the northern ridge, filled with narrow mountains and paths. However, Cain didn't need to travel by foot and continued to move as mist, rising high above the mountain.

'Seems the weakness to cold has also been eliminated. I should be a popsicle at this altitude.'

Freezing winds collided with his body, sending chills through him. He looked down to witness an amazing sight.

In the middle of the mountain range was a massive lake, its size beyond his knowledge. It was the source of Netherane's water and swampy environment, and also the place where the Great Earth Tree had once housed its body.

After entering the Landfill, the Tree descended into madness, uprooting itself and breaking the inner caverns below that held a massive water source, now forming this lake. The mountains were a result of the powers that Netherane held before. Of course, Cain only knew all of this due to the inner files of the Union. It was an interesting fact at best.

'I need to keep heading north.'

Continuing, it took half a day before he reached his destination, or almost.

As Cain passed a certain point, his entire body immediately weakened. His body even reverted to its human form, and he lost his wings, he started to plummet.

Cain focused his energy; halfway to the ground, he managed to land safely before his body went awol again.

He found himself in a foreign place; there were trees around him, but they weren't in the form he was used to. Behind him in the distance was a waterfall, so he knew he had made it out of Netherane... but now he was lost.

Cain didn't seem to mind; he wandered while focusing on studying his body. He soon discovered that his body and abilities were weakened.

Although weakened, he wasn't helpless. However, Cain soon learned what fear was when he realized that if his body weakened, it also meant his immortality did as well. This thought stuck with him.

Picking up his pace, he began to run through the forest. He didn't know if there was civilization nearby, but he had to find someplace soon; he needed to figure out what was happening to him.

Cain ran through the forest, the scent of pine and crunch of leaves underfoot. The wind whistled as he passed beneath the canopy.

After two nights, he burst from the trees. Golden fields stretched before him, dotted with windmills. He paused, astonished.

When Cain first caught sight of the golden wheat fields and windmills, excitement coursed through his veins. A slight red vapor even trembled out of his pores.

Finally, he reached civilization after wandering. He walked beside the fields as his hands brushed against the wheat; there was a dirt path he followed, and he found a road leading to a ranch.

Cain's curiosity grew as he stepped up to the front door and knocked. The door opened, revealing an old man with crooked teeth.

The man took one look at Cain and said, "You must not be from around here. Are you lost, stranger?"

Cain put on the nicest smile he'd ever held and spoke earnestly, "Yes, I am lost. I was wondering if there was someone here who could help me."

Scratching his head, the man clicked his tongue, saying, "Not here, but I can take you to the Duke."

"A duke? Is this place part of some great country?"

"Ha ha, that's a good one. This is the Duchy of Plymouth, not under the governance of anyone. This place is in the boonies as far as anyone is concerned, a worthless corner of the Landfill, ha ha."

"Oh? I'm intrigued. Could you tell me more?"

The man grinned, "Sure, it will take about a day by wagon anyway. Let's go; I can't leave my fields unattended for long."

The two got on the wagon and the horses started moving. After they got a little down the road the farmer spoke.

"So, where are you headed, stranger?" he asked, chomping on a wheat stalk.

"I'm not quite sure," Cain replied with a disarming smile. "I'm a wanderer, seeking knowledge of the world. What can you tell me about this land?"

The farmer's eyes lit up. "Well, let me tell you..." he proceeded to regale Cain with long-winded tales.

.....

A wagon stopped in front of a manor; the farmer got out and approached the guard stationed at the gate.

"Hey, I've got a traveler from afar who wants to see the Duke."

"Alright, as the Duke stated, you'll get a tax cut this year."

"Hehe, good." The farmer turned and hopped back on his wagon. "Stranger, go with the guards; they'll take you to Duke Plymouth. Thanks for knocking on my door, hehe."

Cain laughed to himself as the wagon left. That man was a funny character, to say the least. During the ride, he had been told quite a bit about this Duchy.

He was in the Duchy of Plymouth, which used to be a thriving land, but something happened a few centuries ago. Because of some events, many people left, while others stayed to live a peaceful life.

The farmer himself had a nice deal with the Duke to bring people like Cain to him due to living on the border of the Duchy.

Other than that, Cain got an earful about the farmer's youth, tales of tussling with one person or stealing another person's wife. His stories were interesting but always veered off into another story. Despite this, Cain enjoyed his time with him.

"Hey, traveler, the Duke will see you. Come with me."

0