Chapter 129 – The Past resurfacing (2)
24 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain's mind flashed with fractured memories - the feeling of bones cracking under his fists, the cries of his victims piercing his ears.

He shook his head in anguish, trying to cast out the demon that had invaded his soul. But the images kept coming, each more horrific than the last.

Cain wretched as the full weight of his atrocities threatened to crush his spirit.

Opening his eyes, Cain immediately vomited. Rats scurried towards the regurgitated liquid pile and began having a hearty meal.

The stench of rotting flesh and waste assaulted Cain's nostrils as rats skittered over his body, Half-chewed entrails slithered past his feet as rats skittered by.

Cain looked up and grimaced at the android's grotesque appearance. With sinews of muscles and veins bulging underneath patches of discolored skin. It sat calmly amidst the nightmare, a king in his court of horrors.

Cain's eyes darting chaotically in distress, he remained still. The machine god looked down at him, smiling approvingly.

"Well, how is it being in control again? I guess it's been a while, affirmative?"

Cain didn't react to the android and stared at his poor reflection in his vomit. His mind reeled, unable to comprehend the atrocities his body had committed against his will.

Cain's shoulders slumped and his eyes dropped to the floor as the image of Netherane flashed in his mind.

Hot tears spilled down his cheeks. How could he ever atone for such evil? Cain dug his fingernails into his palms, jaw clenched, as he berated himself internally. His breathing grew ragged and shallow. He then mumbled in a low guilty tone.

"What have I done? What have I done!"

"It's not what you did but what that other one did. You seem to have... a split personality, which is now confusing your identity and sense of self."

He looked up to the machine and studied it. His eyes witnessed the rattling of metal and flesh as what appeared to be a digestive system leaked some foul odor. Above that was skin attached to parts like some twisted sculpture; it was the epitome of disgusting, and if he hadn't thrown up before, he would have done it again.

From what his memories told him, the android said he was created to control his territories core. But now he was on the run.

Finally, his eyes rose above again, and he looked at this calculating being in its bright glowing blue eyes. However, they weren't eyes but sensors that acted as them, glowing lightbulbs.

"I want to die... I want this thing to stop existing... I need to repent, I need to make things right!"

"Hmmm....you are quite different. Curious. I accept your request, but first you must heal me; you now know of your abilities, yes?"

"Heal you? Look at yourself, you're covered in human flesh and surrounded by corpses. I've seen what you make the tribe do here!"

Holding its stomach, the god of the tribals stood tall and strong. Even as pieces fell out or blood flooded like a waterfall, he continued to stand and walk to Cain, ignoring the pain he could feel.

Its voice echoed hollowly, as if projecting from a metal chamber.

His movements were fluid but mechanical, with the faintest whir of motors audible when he walked. Glowing android eyes blinked with perfect symmetry, contrasting the lopsided human flesh grafted onto his endoskeleton.

"You think I want this? I would rather not have flesh; I would rather not have to feel this... pain. But I have to, to survive like everything else.

This tribe has been committing cannibalism far before I came here, and they will continue to do so even when I'm gone. All I have done is lessen the amount they eat and take those who would've died and use them to help me instead."

"You think that's better? You're just taking the majority of sacrifices. They would die anyway, so why subject them to whatever grotesque experiments you use on them!"

"Exactly, they would die anyway. So, I instead harvest their flesh and organs to help in my repair process. When I don't need them, I let them live. How do you think I got this guard around me at all times?"

Cain searched desperately for words, but none came. His mouth opened and closed futilely as he gaped at the android. "But... I-"

"Enough, heal me and I will instead not kill you but take away that personality you hate so much.

From there you can repent all you want and help undo whatever he has done with your body. I don't care, as long as you heal me."

"You can really get rid of him for good?!"

"Of course, just heal me first."

...

At those words, Cain eagerly stayed, studying the android's body and coming up with repairs.

In the past, Cain had done lots of research on a plethora of topics. If he had to rank them, his understanding of the body was the best, especially healing the body.

As long as that other him could be destroyed, he didn't care; he could have his body back and from there continue to help the world and rid it of hatred, as he planned.

Thinking of what his other self had done to Netherane filled Cain with true sadness and anguish. Yet he understood the reason behind it; when he thought about it, an odd feeling still swelled within.

It took a week, then another, before he knew it was 2 years. Finally, after 2 years and 1 month, he finished.

Before Cain stood a large metal organism. Its body was encased in flesh that seemed to meld with its machine parts. It housed a circulatory and digestive system as its core components, allowing the robot to move freely and utilize its other features without worry.

"I have held up my part of the deal. Now remove him."

"With pleasure. I thank you, Cain. Know that I, Ation, am thankful for all you've done."

With Ation giving Cain his name, he took his core and pointed it in his direction. A soft golden light danced in the air and encased Cain's head in its rays. It gave him an oddly pleasant sense of peace, unlike before.

"It is done. Now you can continue on. I wish you luck."

"Thank you. I hope we meet again. I apologize for all that the other me had done, and I hope you can forgive me."

"Don't worry, you're forgiven," Ation said with a smile, waving goodbye to Cain. Cain himself became partly illusionary and turned into a hazy crimson fog that disappeared in an instant.

...

Cain traveled for miles in solitude, silent sobs wracked his translucent form, causing it to shudder and ripple. Tears coursed down his ethereal cheeks before disappearing into nothingness.

For the first time since he fell out of that mysterious wormhole, Cain was free. With him free and no longer haunted by the malevolent presence.

With fists clenched at his sides, he tilted his chin up towards the sky and whispered a solemn vow - he would spend every day trying to rectify his mistakes.

...

After some time, a shadow rose from behind the throne; it was a tribal covered in black wrappings.

"Lord, he has left the territory already. I couldn't keep up... Do you think it is wise to let him go?"

Ation looked back at him "Well, you have been able to watch him since he entered the territory. From what you said, he was headed north and would probably continue to do so.

If he does, he has a chance to find himself in my hometown. It would be good if that violent personality can cause trouble there. But I do worry seeing the other one, it is far too weak..."

"Didn't you remove the second personality?"

"No... I would have to be a ruler to complete such an action. I would even need a core that focuses on the mind, unlike this one. That personality has already embedded itself in his soul; it's impossible to remove. All I did was lock it away for a time."

Confused, the tribal who could hide in shadow looked up to his master.

"Then why'd you say you got rid of it?"

"Simple, he will continue to travel; then the violent one will wake up. From there, they will fight over control and cause more chaos. There was no real reason for me to kill him; this way, he can hopefully draw some attention while we move out of this place.

It should only take a while before I can harness the core now, and I know of another way to become a ruler, one that doesn't rely on territories!"

The shadow stayed silent while his god laughed heartily to himself. He was eager to hear what would come of Cain.

0