Chapter 132 – Ocean of the Deep Ones (3)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Red Titian docked at the port.

Emerging from below deck, Cain was astonished by the city before him. Gyan was filled with spiraling towers and warehouses, with a railway passing in between. He even saw a train spiraling down a tower and stopping before another building at least 3 stories high!

"Amazing, right? Because this place is in-between two different territories, we get to enjoy the knowledge and infrastructure of both. Though I don't think many people know which belongs to which."

Cain nodded at Connie's words as the smell of metal and seabreeze entered his nose. The mix of smells came together and smelled exactly like what Cain thought a city on the ocean would smell like.

"My crew and I have to bring cargo to a specific warehouse. There's a bar a ways in called the Fisherman's Bucket. Meet us there."

Cain and Connie separated, and he was left in this wondrous and foreign place.

This city fused magic and tech like Cain had never seen. He itched to uncover which territories had combined to create this wonder.

Cain's eyes darted around the bustling streets, struggling to spot the bar's sign amid the soaring towers.

The grinding of gears and hissing of pistons from passing trains grated on his ears. He wrinkled his nose at the overpowering stench of fish wafting from the nearby docks.

It didn't take long before he stood in front of a building with a giant carved fish above the sign. 'Fisherman's Bucket' was written below in a cool font.

Upon entering, the sour stench of old ale assaulted Cain's nose. Raucous laughter and off-key sea shanties reverberated off the walls. A brawl erupted in one corner, the crack of splintering wood echoing as a burly sailor smashed another through a table.

Since he didn't have any money, he simply stood around and waited.

Interestingly, on the door outside, there was a note stating that supplies could be used instead of money, and a list of items was written. Connie didn't lie about gold being new.

"Hey, did you hear? Apparently, a territory in the west just overtook another. I hear it will be a few thousand years before it turns into a territory on the scale of those in the middle zone!"

"Idiot, don't you know how easily that process can be messed up? Taking over territories is slow. Only territories in the middle zone could possibly have enough time and resources to succeed!"

Another patron interrupted, "And those middle zone territories still fight with one another in the hopes of becoming a territory on the scale of one in the inner zone!"

'Ah, so territories can envelop one another? Well, I guess it would take an awful amount of time, like the duchy losing its land.'

Cain then shifted his ears to another corner of the bar.

"You know that monster from the middle zone that attacked down south? Sounds like multiple territories finally banded together to take it down."

"Yeah and with how information travels, the monster should have been stopped by now"

Cain's legs ached from standing so long. As he reached for a vacant chair, raucous laughter turned his head. A burly sailor slammed his mug on the counter, ale sloshing over his fist.

"Haha, you don't know what ye talking about! I swear the Fountain of Life is at the center of the ocean where the deep ones lie! It's true. The pirate captain Jericho died with the information but not before telling people it was real!"

From the man's words, the entire bar began to whisper.

"Jericho died?"

"If Jericho said it, then it must be true."

"The Fountain of Life? Isn't that the legend about immortality?"

It was at those words that Cain decided what to do next.

'If I can find that fountain, then I can perhaps regain my immortality or increase my lifespan again! This is perfect!'

After another hour of waiting, the bar seemed to die down as many pirates and shipmates left in the direction of red lights. The remaining folks sat around playing games or drinking until they passed out.

The tavern doors banged open. Cain whirled around as a giant, four-armed woman swaggered in, leading a rowdy band of sailors

"Oy, Cain! Wasn't sure a greenie like you would stick around" Connie bellowed, her voice nearly drowning out the band! "Sorry about that. We ran into a problem unloading at the warehouse."

"Not a problem, as long as you buy a few drinks, of course."

"Ahaha, I like your attitude!"

...

Hic "...and then I came here. My teacher, Mr. Scholar, left to head to the middle zone, and I was left traveling! He left me for his knowledge, the bastard!"

Connie was drunk as they get, crying about her problems to Cain while telling him her story.

"Then when I got here, I thought, 'Why not make some money?' How stupid thwas I! I contracted with the first trading group I found and signed a contract that basically made me a slave! How could my life get any worse! Oh wait, it did! Fifty years of servitude with those bastards and refuse to terminate my contract!"

Connie started crying, and Cain, who had never had a problem like this, didn't know how to respond. So he decided to awkwardly pat her head while saying, "There, there."

Lifting her head, Connie's messy hair fell to either side as she smirked. "Oh Cain, you're so interesting! I've never seen someone who could use powers like that! There are not many people here that can. But you were amazing!"

"I guess my powers are stronger than those of other places."

"Hehe, such a strong man should get the princess's help, no? How about you come with me?"

Connie pulled down her shirt, showing some cleavage.

In response, Cain's palms grew slick with sweat as his heart hammered in his chest. How could he extract himself from this now awkward situation?

"Uh, Connie? I'm afraid I cannot indulge your request."

His answer riled the Huogg's anger, and she stood up with her face still flushed red.

"What!? Why not! You're a man aren't ya!"

Cain looked around, hoping the crew would help, and thank God they did.

They surrounded Connie and tried to calm and restrain her.

"Captain, calm down."

The four-armed mistress used the strength of her four arms to knock everyone away, flinging them into tables and walls.

In light of this, they tried to reach her with reason.

"Captain, you're a Huogg, remember! You don't have those parts!"

"Captain, this is irrational. He's our savior, is he not!"

"Captain, we have to pay for damages!"

Their words were just enough to put a plug in her actions. Connie found herself demoralized as she sat on the floor and mumbled to herself.

"Savior or not, he shouldn't reject a lady... and so what if I don't have those parts!"

The mumbling and disappointed giant sat on the floor like a child.

A crewmate walked up to Cain and whispered in his ear "We'll handle this. Take these and find a place to stay. Come to the pier by noon; we set off around then, whether you plan to come with us or just say a few words."

He then gave Cain a few coins before he joined the others and went off with Connie, almost having to drag her out.

Cain clutched the gold in his hand as he stared off in thought.

'I knew it, life is interesting... not everything is lost in me, right? I can still have emotions?'

0