Chapter 142 – Ancient City
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city lay in ruins, practically reduced to rubble. Only a few buildings remained standing, and even those were often just a floor or two.

What was truly fascinating about this place, however, was its infrastructure. There were no roads, only walkways that wound between desolate buildings. The architecture of these buildings differed drastically from anything Cain or anyone in their group had seen before in the archipelago.

Traveling through this area posed a significant challenge due to the close proximity of the buildings. Debris was scattered everywhere, and the crew found themselves essentially climbing over a pile of rocks. The ground was unstable and difficult to stand on, forcing everyone to adopt an all-fours approach as they climbed.

Everyone, that is, except Connie, who was on all six's.

Cain would occasionally look back, watching as the pursuing ships drew nearer. He kept a particularly close eye on Dolion's ship as it made its way toward the fleet. However, it soon vanished into the fog, leaving only the approaching ships visible.

"Cap, there's no treasure here, just a bunch of rubble!" The crewman kicked a stone in frustration.

Another problem emerged as the crew grew increasingly frustrated.

Despite their losses and sacrifices, they hadn't found a single coin or trinket. Had they lost friends and comrades for a pile of bricks? None of them could come to terms with this reality.

Connie sighed, wiping sweat from her brow. "Calm yourself lad. Anything worth taking is probably buried in this wreckage. So keep your eyes peeled and your mouth shut. Let's head to that large structure up ahead, it seems to have remained intact"

"Fine, but if we don't find anything in there, I won't risk my life for you."

"The same goes to you, lad... the same goes to you."

Connie took charge of dealing with the discontent members of the crew, while the rest were focusing on their ascent. They were about halfway up when the first ships began to reach the city.

Individuals with good eyesight, like Jaxith, could clearly see the approaching soldiers.

"Soldiers are disembarking! They're carrying some strange mechanical devices. There's.... bright glowing packs on their backs? They're holding muskets!"

Jaxith's sharp sight had earned him the job of lookout. As they climbed, he spies on the soldiers with his binoculars.

"Mr. Cain, some of them are starting to climb the rocks... the others are... they've spotted us!"

Jaxith's words triggered a sense of caution among the crew, who anxiously looked behind them. Suddenly, Jaxith let out a startled scream.

"They're aiming at us!"

The crew's response to Jaxith's announcement varied. The cautious members dropped low, while the bolder ones brushed off his warning.

"What are you talking about, Jax? Ain't nothing coming this far. Quit spouting nonsense."

As if to verify his elder's claim, Jaxith looked again, only to confirm his earlier observation. "But I'm not making it up! They're targeting us! Their backpacks are glowing even brighter!"

Jaxith's credibility dwindled, but Cain was already taking cover. He had recognized the technology of the Republic when he had first seen those weapons in port. Moreover, the absence of battleships in the lagoon led him to suspect that the main fleet hadn't yet arrived.

Shortly after the argument, Cain sensed a change in the air, causing the hairs on his arms to stand on end. The scent of burning and the sounds of screams followed. He raised his head from the rubble and witnessed the destruction of the rocks around them, replaced by ash and soot. It was as though lightning had struck from the sky.

Shifting his focus to the critical situation, he observed that a significant portion of the crew was wounded. Their bodies were covered in burns, emitting a charred odor. Some of the injuries were severe, with patches of skin peeling off and blood flowing from cracked flesh. In some cases, entire sections of the body that had been hit detached, resulting in fatal bleeding.

Chaos ensued among the crew. Panic spread as some individuals climbed faster, others were left in shock, and people like Lancey and Marko worked to tend to the wounded.

'Damn it, we'll all die at this rate. What should I do? Should we leave them or help?'

Cain faced a crucial decision. Connie was unable to assist as she was also injured, though her robust physique meant her wound was only a first-degree burn.

'Shit, how can we heal them? We lack the necessary supplies, with only bandages... wait.'

While it seemed unlikely to work, Cain recalled Garrett's ability to manipulate his mist because it was made of his blood.

If Cain's powers were still connected to their roots, then perhaps the core of their abilities hadn't changed the fundamental principles. And at the core of his abilities were biological viruses! He could potentially share his healing power, just as he had done with his followers in Netherane.

To confirm his hypothesis, he rushed to Connie and used his dagger to nick his wrist.

"Connie, drink my blood! Quickly!"

Cain approached her from behind as she tended to Rose, who had suffered a minor injury from one of the bolts. She was taken aback by Cain's abrupt behavior.

"What? I don't think this is the right time-"

"Drink!"

"Alright, alright! Is this some kind of strange fetish or-"

To prevent her from continuing down that line, he pressed his wrist into her mouth. She hesitated for a moment, then drank his blood, her face flushing red in the process.

"Hey, why does your blood taste so good? It's so sweet!"

Lost in his own thoughts, Cain's attention was fixed on his wrist, which was healing as mist enveloped it like a bandage.

Results soon became evident as Connie shed her blackened skin, revealing a new layer of fresh skin beneath. However, the process was slow, resulting in only a flake of skin being shed.

Biting his lip, Cain attempted to enhance the process using his mist, just as he had done for himself. To his astonishment, it worked, and Connie's wound rapidly healed.

Speechless, Connie's eyes widened, but she refrained from expressing her amazement. "You can do that? Heal Rose! Why didn't you heal her first?"

"I didn't know I could do it until now. That's why I tested it on you."

The mature lanky Rose winced as Cain approached. Her face was smeared with soot, hands shaking in shock. She bit her lip anxiously as Cain tended her wound.

"Can't believe I got hit when a pup still wet behind the ears like you is fine"

"Hehe, I'm much older than you think Rose. The good news is you're all patched up now"

The old woman looked down at her side and realized there was no wound and no pain.

She looked back up she watched as Cain went to the next man "Touché"

From then on Cain went to each crew member, healing them one by one.

As he did, Jaxith continued his watch on the men below.

"The climbers are getting closer, and the gunmen are preparing to fire again!"

Those who could react quickly sought cover, while Cain was determined to heal the remaining wounded. Jaxith, now safely behind a wall, peered over again.

"They're lining up! The commander is raising his hand! ...Get down!"

Blinding flashes erupted from below. Cain knew the barrage was coming. With the injured still needing care, he reacted in an instant, he decided to expand himself to protect them. His red ligaments stretched out and formed a protective barrier around his allies.

Bolts of energy surged upward, reaching the mountainside in an instant. They struck Cain and his mist, impacting him directly.

Hit by the entire barrage, Cain attempted to reconstitute his body, only to realize that he couldn't. Inspection revealed that the areas struck were evaporating, with residual electrical shocks gradually eroding the affected gaseous vapor.

Initially alarmed, Cain directed his efforts toward healing himself. After some effort, he managed to mend the damage, then turned his attention back to the crew.

"We press on. I'll absorb all their attacks from now on. Let's move!"

And so, the crew continued their ascent, shielded by Cain's defensive efforts. Every few minutes, a volley of energy bolts would rain down, and Cain sacrificed his own well-being to safeguard his comrades.

The incline grew steeper, and the pursuing enemy drew nearer. Fortunately, their determination paid off, and they reached the top of the rubble just as another barrage of bolts descended. Once inside the colossal doorway, they sought cover and finally had a moment to rest.

"This is the temple... incredible." The interior was constructed from a dazzling material that left many of the crew members awestruck.

Exhausted, Cain collapsed to the floor. He had pushed himself beyond his limits and felt more weakened than ever before. Alongside his fatigue was an unexpected sensation... hunger?

0