Chapter 145 – Ancient City (4)
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cain eyed his prize, but he wasn't arrogant enough to see it as truly his yet.

The fountain sat elevated on a marble platform etched with reliefs of aquatic creatures and swirling underwater vortices.

Water cascaded down its tiers. At its top sat a brilliant pearl the size of a human skull that glinted in the moonlight from the gaping hole above the cave.

Peering down at the battle below, he watched as different elements clashed against each other. In turn, massive machines fired bolts of lightning so large that they obliterated hundreds of men in a single shot.

The two sides were fighting, yet multiple banners covered each side.

'It seems that everybody was on one of the two countries' payrolls. Not leaving it to chance, it seems. Makes me more curious about these so-called rulers... to be able to orchestrate this without even being here...'

There was a horrendous smell of blood and ash. It was as if he had burned a piece of toast and topped it with someone's bowels.

'I know where the core is, but how will I get it? Thankfully, I was right with my guess. The depictions in the hall showed the fountain topped with a small round pearl. My guess was right, it's the core'

Even though he made it this far, Cain had no idea what to do for the last step. Many soldiers from either side tried to capture the core, but each time, the full force of the other side would kill them in an instant. The only way he could grab it was to not get caught or use absolute force.

Cain regretted the bloodshed but worried he lacked the power to retrieve the core without violence. If he challenged the warring factions, would his mist abilities suffice?

However, he knew there was one country he could side with, perhaps they would even welcome him.

He had already spotted Dolion; fighting on the frontlines closest to him, making himself known. It seemed he got here recently, seeing he wasn't dead yet.

'It's a good route, but... I still haven't figured out the contract yet...'

Cain still had no way to deal with the contract without hurting someone or using somebody as a decoy. But this was the only safe bet, choosing a side would cut his potential enemies in half.

'Let's just hope Meiers isn't here to order me.'

From the edge he was standing on, mist surrounded him, and Cain jumped below. From there he ran straight for Dolion, hoping to be recognized and not shot by the many Tesla rifles.

He headed towards his target, squeezing between the fighters of both sides throwing themselves into the fray. Fire and wind swept through the battlefield; in turn, bolts of pure electricity burned even the air as they pulverized anything they touched.

Cain raced across the battlefield. The ground trembled under artillery bombardments. Tesla rifles dealt out death with mechanical precision.

His target lay just ahead.

"Dolion!" Cain called out; he was only a few feet behind the man he wished to talk to.

Cain called to Dolion, who whirled with a sword in hand. Blood and soot smeared Dolion's face. His eyes blazed with a strange despair.

"Who! ......Cain?! What are you doing here? I thought you died exploring the ruins!"

"Long story, what the hell is going on?"

"Going on? Can't you see!" Dolion spread out his arms, men dying all around them; his face covered in blood, and his expression caused Cain to step back in dismay.

It was neither madness nor fear. It was more along the lines of hopelessness and realization.

"I thought I was valuable to you, Maestro Meiers!" Dolion shouted, his voice raw. "But it seems we're all expendable pawns in your game." He glared at Cain, eyes bloodshot. "Don't think you're special either. We're all sent here to die by the same wretched man."

'He seems to finally understand his position. No one wins in the face of those in power... unfortunately, he will probably not live long enough to fully understand this point.'

"Dolion, I just got here. Where are our leaders?"

The frontlines were pushing forth; under the artillery of Fume, the soldiers of Kiok were pushed back a considerable sum. Men rushed past Dolion and Cain as they stared at each other.

"Where do you think! Safe in the back, no, maybe they aren't even here!"

"They have to be" Cain grumbled.

It was obvious he was going to get nowhere with Dolion. So instead, he decided to head deeper behind Fume's lines to try and find Meiers. Maybe it was a bad decision, but it was that or be killed trying to get the core.

Dolion stood there watching Cain leave. Clenching the blade in his fist, a symbol of status. But he now realized how worthless this status was.

He had once been loyal to Meiers, ready to lay down his life at a word. But no more. The battle had stripped away his illusions. Now his eyes were hard, his mouth a grim line.

His hopes had turned to ashes in this cauldron of death.

...

As Cain headed deeper into Fume's camp, the sound of artillery guns grew louder. He could smell the crisp burning air, and his skin began to sweat as the heat rose around him.

"Reload! FIRE!"

Shells fired from some artillery, while others were like gigantic Tesla cannons, pointed horizontally at mancers in the sky or golems created from the earth.

Searching for a while, he finally found the tent with guards wearing the Meier family crest.

"I need to meet the young master."

"Who are you?"

"Cain."

Already hearing the conversation, Meiers called from inside.

"Let him in," Meiers drawled imperiously from within the tent.

Entering, Cain was brought into a luxury tent filled with wine, a soft bed, and a work desk filled with papers.

"Mr. Cain, glad you could make it. Since you haven't fulfilled your duty, the prize is revoked. However, I have a new job I feel that you're up for..."

"Fulfilled? I'm here, aren't-"

"Quiet; as per the contract, I can revoke any payment if the job hasn't been completed. As you can see, I made it here first. Now, I order you to take the jewel at the top of the fountain. Chop Chop."

"But sir-"

Cain tried to step closer, but his body refused to move. Bending down, he made a lowly bow and turned to leave.

"I don't care. I'm ordering you to get that core for me. My desires are all that matter"

'What the hell! Why can't I move?!'

It didn't take a genius to realize this was the work of the contract; it indeed affected the soul. Cain found himself exiting the tent and running to the one place he didn't want to be, the center of the battle and where everyone's eyes were.

"Fire!"

Shells were fired as he passed massive equipment. Like before, a giant boom hit the earth. However, unlike before, something else happened.

The ground rumbled, yes, but then it cracked.

Screams of stupor and surprise ignited in everyone near the impact zone as a large chunk of the floor broke and fell into an open chasm below.

That wasn't the end of it.

Low growls of thousands echoed from below, and soon, large scaly creatures came up from the abyss.

Who knew the home of the deep ones was below the fountain.

Another faction had joined the war, one of the native races residing in this place. From then on, a massive three-sided conflict arose. Both human sides fought each other while also enduring the endless onslaught of the creatures of the deep.

Cain raced across the battlefield, straining against the contract compelling his legs. The ground trembled as artillery pounded the earth. Screams of dying men filled the air.

'So much senseless slaughter. And for what? To get on the good side of their ruler?' He winced as a bolt of lightning sizzled past.

Bile rose in his throat as he watched men immolated by bolts of lightning. How could human life be so meaningless to them? He yearned to create a better world, but right now he had no right. He didn't have power...

Cain's legs didn't stop; they instead sped up. He moved so fast his body began to react, and his body heated into crimson. Cain soon began to glide above the heads of the fighters.

This wasn't good at all; now everyone saw a strange man heading towards the one thing they all wanted.

The worst part was that there were different factions on both sides. It was the exact reason he didn't want to go to the fountain just yet.

No matter what, he was going to be attacked by somebody; he was sure the Meiers family had enemies.

"Kill that thing nearing the fountain! I don't care who they are or what they want. My only goal is retrieving the core first!"

Cain was right; he wasn't even halfway to the center before multiple projectiles connected with him. Bolts from the Tesla rifles sunk into Cain's very being, causing him to lose control of his entire body.

'Damn it! Damn it! What should I do?'

The mist dimmed, Cain slouched as his body slowly continued to move toward the core. Then, another bolt of lightning hit him, but this time it was from a Tesla cannon.

The lightning bolt slammed into Cain's chest, scorching his clothes and skin.

His mist flickered weakly as agonizing pain shot through his nerves.

Cain couldn't survive such a blow; in an instant, he and his mist blew up into smoke, real smoke.

In an instant, he was dealt with like nothing, just showing how powerful these countries truly were.

But he was also someone who was far more impressive than people gave credit for; a small cloud of red traveled through the blood-ridden battlefield. Slowly recovering and acting on instinct; to take over its next target.

The stench of blood and guts permeated the battlefield. Smoldering craters pockmarked the scorched earth. The cacophony of explosions and screams bombarded the battlefield in a nightmarish symphony. Flashes of lightning momentarily blind those fighting, followed by the sizzle of electricity and crackle of burning flesh

With all the blood and death, it wasn't long before the haze seemed healthy again, and it jumped on the first living thing it sensed.

Regaining his consciousness, Cain felt odd. He felt weird and uncomfortable, like he was in weird skin that itched? Looking down, he soon began to curse.

'What the h*ll is this! Why am I a fish freak!'

Cain was, in fact, a Deep One.

If he were to take away one good thing it would be this proved he wasn't bound by race. The only problem...

'I can't overwrite this thing! I'm stuck as a fish-faced monster!'

The good thing was these things were basically animals; there was no soul Cain needed to overwrite, so taking it over was quick and easy. But those didn't make up for the mental difficulties that came with being a fish person.

'What do I do?! I can't just take someone over! I-I....wait, Meiers should think I'm dead; I can just take the core now and escape!'

0