Chapter 159 – Nightmares (5)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dream Master's interest was piqued, "What do you mean by that?"

Cain slowly walked forward, "All Dreams come from Reality do they not? At least for us humans, our dreams stem from the known, and therefore they can never be unknowable, for the unknown is the realm of Nightmare.

"For this reason that spear cannot be powerful, for it has no base in reality, no emotion or memory of being face-to-face with the power of a star. Without it, it can only be weak. You have not felt the sun's smoldering heat, its unending flame, its amassing power, and its destructive nature. No, you have only read of it, imagined it."

Multiple more cracks appeared on the spear. It was on the verge of breaking apart; its flaws had been revealed, and its master was confused and distraught.

Cain licked his lips as he gave a heartwarming smile, "Do not fear, I can help in these endeavors. I can help in many more ways; I can give you so much.... if you would allow it."

"W-What do you mean? Explain yourself!"

Cain drifted ever closer; his shadow grew beyond his form; his face slowly was being revealed behind the loose cloak he was wearing.

"Join me, and I can give you all you seek. Immortality beyond this boring world, knowledge and understanding to boost your power, I can break the chains that bind you, free you from all struggles within your heart and the world!"

The deal Cain offered was too good! But the Master did not live so long that his senses dulled; no, they only grew in this lonely plane of despair.

His senses were telling him it was dangerous, this entire place was dangerous.

"Enough! What are you! Who are you! Answer me now or die!"

"Too late, old man, time is up, and your power is drained!"

His face curving into a bone-chilling smile, the cloak fell off Cain to reveal his head attached to a long neck sprouting from the ground and leading beneath the thin layer of water.

Before the Master could react, a giant maw sprung from the ground and closed upon him.

He was trapped in a biological cage, one made from Cain's soul, the soul of a monster and Nightmare.

Upon its closure, it moved ever so often, its thin flesh reflecting shadowy images, hinting at what was going on inside.

The figure of a man was trapped in a fleshy prison; he came close to the thin wall and tried to break out, but the flesh was stronger than anything he could imagine.... something, unknown to him.

Juices filled the prison as he continued to claw from the inside. Slowly, his body drowned in the liquid as his screams became ever more present. After a long time, it finally stopped.

'Finally done, I was barely able to break him. Masters truly are strong, but they live lofty and boring existences. Nothing I can't handle.'

The maw opened, and black sand formed into Cain's figure.

As juices leaked out, inside he could see the naked master, his flesh was gone leaving only patches of bone and muscle. Next to him was a dim spear with an orange tint; it was nothing like it was before; now it was nothing more than a decoration.

"Will you submit? My offer still stands. Do you think I would lie?"

Slowly opening his burned mouth, a murmur escaped his lips, "No....."

"Well, you would be wrong; I am not bound by anything, morals and things like honor included. I have no chains to bind me; I will not be brought down by concepts created by lesser beings. Anyway, you don't have a choice anyway."

Just like that, the water surrounding them bubbled, and like usual, blood fountains sprang from cracks. The Master's mind was quickly taken over by Cain.

The bloodied waters created a torrent that Cain sent around the Master, causing even more of his agonizing screams to escape his lips.

'Sheesh, I thought he didn't have anything left in him....well, at least I have a more useful servant now.'

From the blood rose a spirit with a crimson glow. It was far more impressive than the rest Cain had; it seemed....brighter, more intelligent and quick.

The dimly lit spear entered Cain's hands, and as it did, the world rumbled as he turned it red. Lines of blood from all over the mindscape were called to action as Cain twisted the rivers and streams around the broken spear.

'Now, I will pour my understanding of not the flame of the sun, but the flames of war and hatred!'

The spear became something new; no longer a flame of light, it was a flame of war. A spear was created from burning blood as it was held in Cain's fingertips, ever-moving in his grip.

Cain looked at his new spirit slave, a grin came with his hand gifting the new spear.

"Take it, you will need it in the coming days. I will show you something beyond your comprehension, something worth yours, and the deaths of all beings. A mission I must see till the end."

...

It was strange, the Master seemed to be angry only a moment ago, but he suddenly stopped and even imagined his spear away!

The Soldier couldn't understand why! Why would he stop when he had the advantage?

But it soon became apparent, the man's eyes changed, turning into whirlpools of despair, hiding a horrible abyss deeper in. Those eyes caused the Soldier to shudder; his mind seemed to crack as dark emotions flooded in.

One of the Wardens also noticed and became concerned, "Master? Are you alright?"

Cain just looked turned to look at the Soldier; it was time to take what was due.

"I have given, so now I shall take. The price of my power is blood; give me the blood of your allies for repayment."

"What?"

The Soldier tilted his head, and everything clicked.....but now it was too late.

He felt heat rise in his body as thick bloody tendrils broke through his flesh and rendered his entire upper body mutilated. His head and spine fell back as he died instantly; the tendrils, however, were as lively as ever.

Still surprised, the Wardens didn't act quickly enough to dodge or defend; they were simply pierced or hit by the flurry of bloodthirsty tentacles.

Of course, Gabe died without resistance; his head swiftly detached and devoured by the spawn of his friend's body.

"Shit, what's going on-"

From behind the warden, an ever-moving spear of blood pulverized his heart. For the others as well, an army of scarlet ghosts attacked, quickly finishing off their lives.

It was a mess of gore as hundreds of claws went to rend the Warden's flesh and tore their bodies to pieces.

'Good to know I can even use the ghosts in this Realm. Everything is coming together! Ah, I love getting the drop on ignorant idiots.'

Cain walked over to the corpses and sucked in the pink smoke created from their deaths; as he did, he felt his power rise immensely.

'With the master added to the mix, it won't be long now... just a few more meals!'

Turning around, Cain stared at the Corrupted Nightmare. It was greatly confused, but more than that, pissed that its food got stolen.

"No hard feelings, big guy; we're on the same side. You can't get anything out of me anyway; it's not worth it! Now I must go; much more murders to plan. Bye!"

Cain smiled, the body of the Master turned incorporeal as it transitioned into a crimson fog. Leaving the ink monster behind, its angry screech echoed through the abyss while Cain headed up to the higher levels.

0