Chapter 198 – Reaction
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After concluding the conversation with Zoe, the inspector left slightly shaken.

Cain was adamant about not being a World Bane and Zoe could only believe him. No doubt she was immediately going to report what she found to her superiors but that didn't matter to Cain at the current moment.

He remained in his seat, seemingly reading his book.

'So that's why the Family has been so focused on being guarded recently. They were scared of me and put all their resources into watching me, allowing the Organization to strike again and again.'

Leaving the library and his fake self behind, Cain returned to the Organization's headquarters where he met with Omega.

Entering Omega's office, the leader of the organization seemed agitated by Cain's sudden visit.

"Did anything happen? Why do you need to meet with me?"

Cain came forward and put down some forged documents. "My men found out that the reason the Family hasn't been focused on us is because of some outsider. However, we have reason to believe this won't last much longer and they'll soon set their eyes on us. I believe we should attack, and soon."

"What?! Attack!? We don't have the strength to do that, not to mention we don't know if this information is true!"

Cain snapped back, "It is. I've already confirmed it and if we don't attack now the Family will start suppressing us again. We have to reveal everything to the public by using that Family member we captured, and storm the compound, taking it. It's now all or nothing!"

Although Cain's voice held emotion, he didn't feel anything, not even the joy from acting and manipulating Omega.

Though, Cain wasn't lying. It's just the Family probably wouldn't set their sights back on the Organization as fast as he said, only taking preemptive measures. But Omega didn't need to know this. 

Omega sighed, "You have changed these last few days. Much more forceful. I guess killing those traitors left a scar on you...I have always trusted your counsel these last few months...

"I'll believe you; we will prepare to attack. By next week we shall announce everything to the people and hope for the best...."

...

A week passed, and Cain spent this time converting the rest of his subordinates in the Organization into his covert mist ghosts. He needed a force in the coming siege.

He planned to have these operatives add fuel to the fire before secretly returning to Cain's at some point.

Omega and Cain worked hard organizing everything. They passed the point of no return and the Family was showing signs of setting sights on them again, three attempts to stop convoys in the last few days were stopped and all operatives were killed, or more accurately, eaten.

In truth, it was all because of Cain's "new" operatives. 

With everything set, Cain had no reason to remain in the Complex, but he thought he should see everything through to the end. He was curious why the Family knew of the cosmos and additionally wished to find out more about World Banes.

Cain once again found himself in the strategy room, beside him was Omega and a few others.

Omega was explaining the assault plans. "I have Alpha and Delta on standby leading their subordinates. Delta will be focused on drawing the Family's attention; she'll also be in charge of announcing the truth to the people.

"Epsilon is already at the square with the prisoner; he has become more rational after learning what we are doing."

Cain nodded, "Great, everything is in order."

Omega made a short pause. He then opened his mouth.

"Since you already gave all your strategies over to me, I'm guessing you'll be joining Alpha in attacking the headquarters? He's been raring to fight side by side with you after hearing of your combat skills from the instructors."

Cain flatly responded, "No, I'll decide depending on how the situation progresses."

"Okay..."

Omega didn't speak further; he was nervous about losing everything he built these last few years.

The strategy meeting was adjourned.

...

The time was 4:00, in this territory, it was around midday but with the cloudy sullen sky, it was no different than night.

In a square, a masked man brought up a malnourished prisoner while giving them a microphone. In another part of the city a tall woman led a squad out into the city with papers detailing certain things, an even larger group under her was following her in the direction of the Family's compound.

Lastly, the grizzly man and a large group of people waited in a building, they waited for alarms to blare and chaos to ensue. Because once they did, it would spell the end of the Family and their rule.

Far away from it all, on the balcony of a large building, Cain waited, his body slowly boiling into mist.

...

Violence is the one thing humans excel in. Cain too, was a master of violence.

It was such a transmittable disease, that it sprang from one person to another, drenching the world in blood and steel. It was the same tonight like any other, violence would descend upon the world and consume it.

Two people charged against each other, one defending, the other attacking. Both sides had their reasons, one to stay in power and the other to free themselves from that power.

With Delta taking the attention of most of the Family's troops, Alpha and his small army stormed the gates of the Family's compound. It took no time for them to break through, leaving behind piles of dead.

Above the battlefield, Cain watched with indifference, waiting. His half-mist state making him seem illusionary and unreal.

Soldiers fired relentlessly as shells escaped from their guns. Turrets locked onto enemies while suppressing the entire battlefield. Rockets soared across the air and destroyed all resistance.

It was mind-numbing, the rattling sounds easily drowned the Complex, everyone could hear the war, and everyone could already smell it.

The Family's compound was built on a small hill, meaning all the bloodied air was led by a draft downward into the city. Blood rolled down into the streets like a river and created a basin around the bottom. Parents blocked their child's eyes while others even blocked their own.

To some, they couldn't help but lick their lips, an unquenchable thirst began to dry their throat.

Those citizens affected were half-bloods, one part coming from a normal human.....the other from the Family.

In the compound, the firing stopped, and the Organization's soldiers paused as they waited for the smoke to clear. Some even walked into the clouds of dust, seeing their work.

"Yay! I think we got all of them! Let's go into the main building and secure it!"

The happy soldier cheered and infected the others with his happiness, a feeling of freedom entered their hearts.

But it was short-lived, out from the dust, a grayish-skinned Family member leaped out and sunk their teeth into the haughty soldier's neck. Blood gushed as the murderer's eyes were drenched red.

"Blood.....flesh.....more...need more." It muttered.

The beast leaped again, jumping on another soldier, this time tearing into their face and eating away like a glutton.

Escaping their trance, horror swept the soldiers as they all aimed and fired away at the grayish creature in a scare. The rounds tore through the beast's flesh and ripped apart its body, leaving behind only a corpse riddled with holes.

Up above, Cain studied the scene.

'So flesh and blood turn them into monsters? Does that mean they're not even human?'

After the Family member was killed, the soldiers recollected themselves and pressed on with the main force, speaking of their horrific experience. Wariness grew within the ranks and people began to believe even more that the Family had to be eliminated.

...

Back in the City, many people lost control, their teeth grew, creating fangs. Their skin warping into dark and pale colors, and their eyes bleeding red.

The result was terrible, many innocent died, men, women, and children included. No one expected this, not even Omega.

Suddenly, the whole Complex seemed to be in chaos.

Inspector Zoe, who was in charge of the wall, noticed the events happening in the city as well, by now even the stench of blood was thickening.

At first, she wanted to go to the Library or Jinx's Gin, but then she heard the screams. In the end, she took some men and headed into the city to stop the chaos that was brewing.

What happened to the innocent no longer mattered to Cain, not even a bit, even if he was somewhat responsible for it.

In the Dream Realm, he didn't consider the people living there real, they had long lived out their lifespans and had their dark secrets, imagination was a gateway to many horrific things after all. But now, all the victims were innocent people who had been manipulated for years, much like in Netherane.

But unlike before, when he would have a tinge of regret or a prick of pity, he truly couldn't care less. It was impossible for him to feel anything. 

His prior principles were gone, his morals erased. All that got his attention now was knowledge and Freedom. Knowledge was power, and power was needed in the coming days, without it he could say goodbye to finding True Freedom.

'With this, I can confirm there is a power here. Perhaps even a core, but this ability seems to be on the weaker side....'

Focusing on the Family's compound, he slowly descended from the clouds and hid among the soldiers as they entered.

Inside they would learn the horrors of the Family up close.

0